ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ash's Edition 30

I've been a bit quiet on here lately but I thought I'd put up a little thread as I think for now I've finally settled on a car.

I have a moment of madness and bought a MK6 Golf GTI which was a lovely car but didn't last long, it was a great allrounder and looked great in white with a really high spec;

16201695428_6ee62859e9_c.jpg

16201700848_9ff0d975d5_c.jpg

The novelty worn off after a little while and I needed to move on and free some cash up. I had my mind made up on another Golf it ticked all the boxes for me, I had my eyes set on a R32 but the ED30 made more sense as a simple stage 1 remap would make it quicker then the R32 and still return better MPG.

Yes the R32's sound epic but you're simply paying for the noise really.

Anyway so here is what I've got now. A Tornado Red Edition 30 with DSG, 57k miles full VW service history etc etc. Its completely standard other then FK Highline coilovers which are suprisingly pretty good, so I wont be changing them anytime soon.

16451159325_5abbf825b4_c.jpg

16264916869_08649c2597_c.jpg

15828660574_9722dc2f37_c.jpg

16451137805_25a0c91bcb_c.jpg

The spec is a bit baisic compared to the MK6 but parts like xenons, cruise control and an RNS510 are all easily obtainable.

At the moment I'm planning on upgrading the brakes to S3 brakes or similar and also upgrade the interior a bit using some MK6 bits and an RNS510. I may go for a stage 2+ in the future but I'm quite happy with at the moment.

Ash

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Very nice mate, me and the missus were looking at a couple of these both red with dsg, but were a little out of our price range.

How you getting on with the dsg? We pick up an A3 1.8t with it on Saturday and I'm quite looking forward to have a play with it.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Just couldn't own a 4pot MK5 Golf. Dull as a dishwasher. The engine on my R32 made the car tbh. Do think the ED30 look really good though.

Polo
I've been a bit quiet on here lately but I thought I'd put up a little thread as I think for now I've finally settled on a car.

I have a moment of madness and bought a MK6 Golf GTI which was a lovely car but didn't last long, it was a great allrounder and looked great in white with a really high spec;

16201695428_6ee62859e9_c.jpg

16201700848_9ff0d975d5_c.jpg

The novelty worn off after a little while and I needed to move on and free some cash up. I had my mind made up on another Golf it ticked all the boxes for me, I had my eyes set on a R32 but the ED30 made more sense as a simple stage 1 remap would make it quicker then the R32 and still return better MPG.

Yes the R32's sound epic but you're simply paying for the noise really.

Anyway so here is what I've got now. A Tornado Red Edition 30 with DSG, 57k miles full VW service history etc etc. Its completely standard other then FK Highline coilovers which are suprisingly pretty good, so I wont be changing them anytime soon.

16451159325_5abbf825b4_c.jpg

16264916869_08649c2597_c.jpg

15828660574_9722dc2f37_c.jpg

16451137805_25a0c91bcb_c.jpg

The spec is a bit baisic compared to the MK6 but parts like xenons, cruise control and an RNS510 are all easily obtainable.

At the moment I'm planning on upgrading the brakes to S3 brakes or similar and also upgrade the interior a bit using some MK6 bits and an RNS510. I may go for a stage 2+ in the future but I'm quite happy with at the moment.

Ash
Hey there

I have a 2012 mk6 without the satnav or screen isit a straight swap to put the rns510 in with satnav or do I need any additional wiring bits etc?

BMW F21 125d
Hey there

I have a 2012 mk6 without the satnav or screen isit a straight swap to put the rns510 in with satnav or do I need any additional wiring bits etc?

Straight swap, assuming you have the 310 unit now? All you'll need is an RNS510 and a gps antenna which you can house under the dash. No additional wiring the existing block connector goes direct to the RNS510. I swapped mine out in my previous MK6 and it took me like 15 mins and that was me being slow & careful.

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
I can't praise this car enough

Had a great day out going to collect it, even if I did have to get up at 5am to take him, and was late getting back for work! Ho Hum lol

Ash was kind enough to let me borrow it for a couple hours after only owning it for a few hours him self! And I can honestly say its the best car I've ever driven! DSG is so smooth you barely feel the change, even when 'making progress' the power is just there when you need it and with the pedal to the floor she holds the revs each gear and she screams like a trooper! I didn't play with sport mode as I wasn't confident about 'fiddling' just wanted to experience the car for what it is.. And it's awesome!

Coming from my 320bhp brute of a subaru, the golf is so refined, so smooth, and so comfy! I'm pretty sure I've got my heart set on one my self, so much so the scoob will be up for sale soon!

Again dude, thanks for letting me take her out, and sorry about the wing mirror! So glad it wasn't damaged, was expecting cracked indicator and chipped paint, fair play I cringed haha

She scrubs up well, the roads we drove back on were salty as fuff! So much dust the car was trophy pink for a while haha

Seriously awesome buy!

Polo
image.jpg
Straight swap, assuming you have the 310 unit now? All you'll need is an RNS510 and a gps antenna which you can house under the dash. No additional wiring the existing block connector goes direct to the RNS510. I swapped mine out in my previous MK6 and it took me like 15 mins and that was me being slow & careful.
Hey I have the unit pictured above not sure if it's the 310. Will my b.utottoth and steering wheel controls and iPod all work? Basically is there any disadvantage to me switching to the rns510 or extra things I need to buy that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help on this btw

BMW F21 125d
View attachment 121777
Hey I have the unit pictured above not sure if it's the 310. Will my b.utottoth and steering wheel controls and iPod all work? Basically is there any disadvantage to me switching to the rns510 or extra things I need to buy that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help on this btw

Looks like the 310. Yes, everything will still work, and heating control display changes will show briefly on the new unit screen (like when you turn your heated seats on etc) steering wheel controls, Bluetooth etc will all work. It's literally plug and play...

This was mine before and after....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423203062.395534.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423203086.378349.jpg

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Stunning mate! Love the Ed30's
Wish I could have justified the extra cash when we got our Mk5 GTi

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
My dad has just put his Tornado red 3dr Manual ED30 up for sale. Owned it for 4 years and has been a dream to own. Shame hes selling it really as I'd rather like it! Excellent all rounder, and really nice in red, can't decide whether I prefer the Candy White or Tornado Red though.. and white ones seem to command a ~1k-1.5k premium madly?!

Enjoy!!

Lovely, it looks very clean!

My dad has just put his Tornado red 3dr Manual ED30 up for sale. Owned it for 4 years and has been a dream to own. Shame hes selling it really as I'd rather like it! Excellent all rounder, and really nice in red, can't decide whether I prefer the Candy White or Tornado Red though.. and white ones seem to command a ~1k-1.5k premium madly?!

Enjoy!!
Hard one, mine was Candy White and it looked tits although looking back now I think it looks a bit dated compared to the Tornado Red!

16271272827_1218de0dc0_b.jpg

Probably the one car I miss the most, 3 door DSG with awwdaoptions.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Lovely, it looks very clean!

Hard one, mine was Candy White and it looked tits although looking back now I think it looks a bit dated compared to the Tornado Red!

16271272827_1218de0dc0_b.jpg

Probably the one car I miss the most, 3 door DSG with awwdaoptions.

Beautiful car! I really really want a 3rd manual in white.. needs rear tints though!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I think they look great and im a fan of red anyway so its a winner for me. I just couldn't own a big heavy R32 just for the noise when a little map on the 2.0 will make it quicker and see better mpg.
Great looking car @Ash'

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'm really enjoying mine. God its fast.

Don't get me wrong, the mk4/5 R32's sound amazing.. But lets face it, that mid range in the ED30... My only regret is not having been/driven a standard one to compare mine to!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I love it in red, white does look good also but I think red suits the car best.

Really enjoying how effortless the car is to drive with the DSG, I do miss some driving involvement but I'm hoping it will be better once I have the DSG map along with the stage 2. That's my only small gripe at the moment.

I have a boot pop kit in the post which I'll be fitting soon and then getting a friend to unlock it on his VAGCOM. I also have a few odds and sods like canbus 501 lights, red BBS centre caps coming too.

TTRS & V50
Very nice.

Perfect stance.

Deffo get 32/S3 brakes before map, couldn't live without mine running 300bhp.

RDH, have you owned one ? Bore off every Golf thread with your 32 chat.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
^ Driven 3 different ones and been in a mapped one. Good cars, still wouldn't own one unless it was V6. I got bored of that, sounded nice but boring to drive after a while.

TTRS & V50
"Been in a mapped one" and " Driven 3 different ones" doesn't justify "Just couldn't own a 4pot MK5 Golf. Dull as a dishwasher." in every Golf thread for the past 2/3 years since you owned your 32. But whatever, it's your opinion.

All cars get boring tbh, especially after having a 2 mile commute, or whatever you had ;)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
How does it not justify that opinion? Surely before you buy one you drive a few and decide whether you like the experience? I was blind sighted by the noise when i test drove mine. It masks what was in other ways a dull car to drive, hence why I didn't like the GTi.

Not quite sure why my opinion offends you so much though. May I suggest just getting over it?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Smashed the granny out of a tuned one of these on sat [emoji12]
Sounded epic though. Was some kind of ED30 meet because there was at least 6 of them!

How does it not justify that opinion? Surely before you buy one you drive a few and decide whether you like the experience? I was blind sighted by the noise when i test drove mine. It masks what was in other ways a dull car to drive, hence why I didn't like the GTi.

Not quite sure why my opinion offends you so much though. May I suggest just getting over it?
To be fair you have mentioned it many many many times.

Last edited:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Considering I've posted about 50 times, if that, in the last 6 months, i think a mountain has been made out of a mole hill.

Still a great looking car, just not for me.

And for reference, after 12 months I'm buying my way out of my lease because I find the turbo 4pot boring...

Anyway...
I've fitted my red BBS centre caps and I've taken delivery of my boot pop kit. I also have a new suction mount for my GoPro so expect some updates soon.