ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attention PC Builders

clio 1.4 sport
I'm looking at building a new pc and need a little bit of help. I've built a couple of lo-budget one's before but it's now time for me to get up to date. I have a q6600 G0 stepping processor and am looking to build a pc around that. Can someone help with suggesting a motherboard, grapics card and ram for less than £150. I'm not a gamer so don't need a hi-spec graphics card.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
Mobo: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140061
Ram: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119279
GPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139942
OR GPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140306 (if you really arn't bothered about gaming)

Thats all about £105 (or just over your budget with the fancier GPU - £160)
You may also want to get one of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105994
Much better than the intel stock heatsink, or if you can be bothered, wait out for the AC Xtreme Freezer - released in july, probs about £25

Good luck

P.S. if your after a fancier mobo: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132275 (£30 more)

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Agree with the cooler above.

With a decent asus motherboard I've managed to easily overclock my q6600 to 3.6ghz and even up to 3.8ghz with that cooler.
Also had my 667 ram to over 800 mhz. Corsair xms2 ram, very good.

Megane
Id go for an Abit IP35E mobo, or a Cheap Asus p5 if you want, ip35e is good though.

Ram id get a 2x2gb ddr2 kit for around 50 quid at 800mhz

Video Card try and stretch to an 8800gt 512mb which can be picked up for a ton these days, if not maybe a 8600gt?

If you told us your primary pc use we could let you know how much ram youll need. Are you going to overclock? Gaming or Design?How long has it got to last you? What PSU have you got?

Better than yours. C*nt.
What sort of usage? Stock cooler on a G0 Quad is good for 3Ghz o/c at sustainable temps, and depending on whether you're using it for just tossing around or for workstation or for light games depends how you spend your (rather limited!) budget. If you're not doing any gaming what about an IGP? All modern ones are more than capable in Vista...

clio 1.4 sport
I use my my pc for browsing the net mostly. I also spend alot of time converting video files to different formats which can be be very time consumuming and system hungry with my measily p4. I do tend to watch alot of films on my pc as well but i don't game at all really apart from the odd game of online poker.

clio 1.4 sport
I may also want hdmi so I could hook it up to a HDTV in the future. I know I could hook it up by vga or dvi but don't really wann go through the hassle of hooking up audio seperately.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Agree with the cooler above.

With a decent asus motherboard I've managed to easily overclock my q6600 to 3.6ghz and even up to 3.8ghz with that cooler.
Also had my 667 ram to over 800 mhz. Corsair xms2 ram, very good.

3.8 on air cooling...seems a bit unlikely. Your temperatures must be through the roof.

i get a nice 3.2 out of my quad but runs pretty hot thats with a zalman cooler

Unlikely?

Using Orthos at 100% stress gives 55 degC with the Freezer Pro.

My case is an Antec 900 with front, rear, side and top fans.

I leave it at 3.6ghz for maximum stability.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Unlikely?

Using Orthos at 100% stress gives 55 degC with the Freezer Pro.

My case is an Antec 900 with front, rear, side and top fans.

I leave it at 3.6ghz for maximum stability.

Doubting that myself sorry, that's not running all cores at 100% otherwise you'd have hit a thermal scaling point. I'm liquid cooling mine (3x120mm rad) and at 4ghz on as low a voltage I can get away with it's running a load temp of 65 degrees...

Megane
No way are you leaving it on 3.6 all the time on an ac7. Not possible. People with true120s get theres up to 3.6 but can only leave it there an hour

Jesus h corbit.

3.6 all the time. Some chips clock easier than others.

I have a asus pk5e m'bo, xms2 ram, q6600 chip.

Why do people want to argue. What have I got to prove?

I had it up to 3.8 stably before I flashed the motherboard to newer version. I can't get it quite that far now strangey but its sat at 3.6 since March. Stable.

I play COD4 for hours without any problems.

If people want to me to post orthos screen shots then I will!

My pc sounds prett noise to be fair as it's got lots of fans.

Just don't know why people will argue :-S

23062008237.jpg

23062008239.jpg

untitled1.jpg

Hang on jpeg is a little small. I'll see if I can enlarge.

untitled2.jpg

Granted 67 degC isn't exactly ideal but I've never had problems.

Full system:
Antec 900 case with addtional side fan.
OCZ Stealthxstream550 psu
ASUS PK-5E WIFI
Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz on ac7
Corsair xms2 667 @ 801 Mhz
eVGA 8800GT SSC @ 701mhz stock
2x Raptor 74gb in Raid0
2x Seagate 80gb in Raid1
2x Lightscribe HP dvdrw
Creative 5.1 digital sound
Leadtek tv2000 expert.

Last edited:
  Megane
I'm still waiting of a reply lads?!

Reply? I'll give you a reply, you are stupid! Lol

Mate you are running it at that temp with that voltage, youve knocked a multipier off and put a 450mhz FSB!! Enjoy that CPU while it lasts thats all I will say!

Stupid?

The Orthos program just estimates how you got the clock speed so the 450Mhz x 8 above is wrong. You're going to have to take my word that my motherboard is set to 400Mhz x 9. I haven't over volted anything either.

I guess I'm just lucky I got a chip which will overclock well. I have had it to 3.8 but it wasn't mega stable and I didn't run a long stress test.

I can't understand why you think I'm yanking chains on this thread. I haven't posted it saying mine is better than yours etc as no one else has mentioned theirs. I simply posted to show what can be achieved with the right cooling and a little luck.

I bought the chip in December and it's never been at less than 3.4 Ghz since then. I often leave it on overnight doing stuff, I play COD4 at full settings for hours, I do lots of video encoding and I've never had BSOD or any random problems. I guess you get what you pay for as the motherboard is top notch and the ram has surprised me a lot too.

I'm not going to argue and argue about this but don't like being made to look like I'm lying when there is no reason for me to be.

Try googling "q6600 3.6 air cooling" you will see mixed results. Some people can do it, some cannot get anywhere near.

If my chip hasn't been burnt out by now, then I'd say after 6 months of pretty demanding stuff, then it'll be fine.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17779323 Look at Matty114's setup, nigh on same as mine. Not sure what case he's using but mine has got lots of fans in. It is pretty noisey but I can live with it.