ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto Finesse review - Iron Out

Evening all,

A second review as I currently have the time and before I go out for some Xmas drinks I thought I'd fit in a write up!

So, the product on test is Auto Finesse's Iron Out contaminant remover. Thanks again to Auto Finesse for sending this out in Waxy Box a few months ago.

The test subject was cleaned prior to the last thread. 8 and 4 pot brakes so was expecting some serious contamination since the last hit 12 months ago. For a controlled test, both front wheels were used as I'd expect more contamination from the larger front pads.

9egavu7u.jpg

Versus the old boy in the group, CarPro's IronX.

u9age8e6.jpg

The test here is to find out how effective the products are. We all know they "bleed", but I want to know what the product is doing versus another competitor. So, the passenger side wheels were liberally sprayed with AFIO and the drivers with IX.

AF 1 min

eqa2y9u7.jpg

IX 1 min

Both showed a severe amount of run off from the brakes. Both wheels were left for five minutes and then jet washed. Both wheels looked clean. At 14k miles, that's not hard.

Now, the real test. The products were then applied to the opposite already treated wheel, so Iron X over the AF treated wheel and vice versa. If one or the other bled, it would show the previous product had not done it's job. If both bled, it would show the wheels needed two hits. The process would then be repeated.

AF now on the drivers side;

usu7a7eb.jpg

Very little. A small spot in the bottom of the photo.

IronX now on the passenger side;

avu7ejez.jpg

More worryingly, Iron X again on the already AF treated wheel;

ujemy9yt.jpg

In summary, Iron X pulled out what I would expect from my own wheels (well protected) after a treatment of AF Iron Out. Whereas the wheel treated with Iron X initially, did not show any further signs of bleeding with a hit of AF Iron Out (nor, to test, another hit of Iron X).

Now, silver medals are fine. And to be honest, this test is missing one vital piece of the puzzle which is multiple hits of AFIO, so this is by no means a negative end for Auto Finesse. To compound that (wahey a detailing joke!!!), WaxTec Fallout is so poor I'm not even going to bother showing you the photos... because the initial spray shows barely a hint of bleeding and was "sod it, I'll IronX it"'d afterwards to speed up finishing the car.

The wheels were then hand polished with AF Tripple (God I love this product) and sealed with C2V3. No finished pics until later in the week when the car is finished off.

Thanks all for reading.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Comfirms my own experience JD. AF simply took too long for me and didn't remove as much IX. Still the champ.