ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

B-shaw’s PH1 Exclusive

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
After making the difficult decision to part with my polo (of 7 years) I decided a Clio sport was the direction I'd be taking.
At 1st I wasn't sure weather I wanted a Ph1 or a Ph2, but thanks to @Phase1sr build thread, it was clear a Ph1 was the ONLY way to go.

I was won over by titanium silver, until I discovered the 'exclusive' model in Scarab Green.
I went to view one, and a deposit was left

Say hi to No.76

16199701312_1154296e07_c.jpg

16198640611_d8621cb383_c.jpg

Yes, I know.... the headlight covers. I haven't picked it up yet so give me chance lol!

It's rather clean, only a few stone-chips up front and the odd mark as to be expected for a 14 year old car.
It's on 75K, due a belt in a few thousand but I'm not taking any risks. The garage I'm having it from are giving me a 3 month warranty, the day before that's up is the day this will be in a garage getting the belts done haha.
Obviously, i managed to get several hundred off the asking price for belts. It's coming with a fresh MOT, service and they're fixing a couple of issues we spotted when viewing (exhaust mount, fog lights not working) and today I found out the alternator wasn't working properly so a new alternator too. It's got near brand new tyres also which is always a bonus.

Wheels and interior on these are a little erm, odd? shall we go with? However fear not, collecting F1's on Saturday and I have a Ph2 interior sat in the garage already. I'm not fully convinced on swapping the interior, I feel the leathers may grow on me. But for £51 I couldn't say no.

I say to myself now that I don't want to do a lot to this, but I know for a fact that it'll get out of control and before I know it I'll be fitting cams and ITB's :grinning:
For now I'm thinking:
182 downpipe, decat and exhaust of some description
Matched inlet and aftermarket intake
Springs and shocks (seems these cooksport springs and cup shocks are a popular one)
Rear ARB and polybushes wherever required, touch of bracing too maybe
Uprated discs and pads
Steering wheel retrim is 100% needed
Few other subtle changes too, I'm one for all the little touches.

Shall update tomorrow once I've collected it, on weather or not it made it home in one piece.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Very nice and welcome finally to renaultsport clio ownership. The wheels and interior are marmite but I'd keep them if it were mine due to the rarity of it. (Although it's your car and not mine) looks nice and as you say, what do you expect but a few stone chips from a 14 year old car.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers @PP172
Yeah, if I remove either I'll be keeping them stored in the garage. Think I'd be stupid to get rid of any of it.
Cant help but look at those wheels and think they look like halfords specials haha.
The OZ's suit the car so much more, unsure on a colour for them yet. Silver or a bronze kind of colour maybe.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
These wheels with a fresh refurb or F1's, Cup spoiler and coilovers.

Job done.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A mint standard (apart from uprated suspension) exclusive is what I want next. Should never have sold my last one.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Where are you having the belts done? It'll be worth doing the dephaser (£150) at the same time. Then it makes sense to change the cams (£300ish) and get a remap (£300ish) whilst you're at it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Where are you having the belts done? It'll be worth doing the dephaser (£150) at the same time. Then it makes sense to change the cams (£300ish) and get a remap (£300ish) whilst you're at it.

Story of my life. 😂

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Then I might aswell get ITB's too.... 😂 Also the story of my life, its how the polo tended to go lol!
But no, I shall resist for now, that can all come later on.
Possibly diamond for the belts, not too far from me and are forum sponsors so seems only right. Everything will get done (water pump too)

Not massively keen on the cup spoilers tbh, and they hold too high a value for what they are.

Debating weather to go with coilovers or shocks/springs. I did the whole 'lets go silly low' with the polo and it just pissed me off. I'd rather go for better handling without it costing an arm and a leg. Decent coilovers cost too much :confused:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
If cams are on the cards then do it when you do belts.
I've got fresh shocks and cooksport springs available, also cup spoiler..

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Then I might aswell get ITB's too.... 😂 Also the story of my life, its how the polo tended to go lol!
But no, I shall resist for now, that can all come later on.
Possibly diamond for the belts, not too far from me and are forum sponsors so seems only right. Everything will get done (water pump too)

Not massively keen on the cup spoilers tbh, and they hold too high a value for what they are.

Debating weather to go with coilovers or shocks/springs. I did the whole 'lets go silly low' with the polo and it just pissed me off. I'd rather go for better handling without it costing an arm and a leg. Decent coilovers cost too much :confused:

You can do them later on ;) but in all honesty you may as well do cams otherwise if you want to do them at a later date you're paying for belts again.

Dephaser is a must do when doing the belts around that mileage.

I'd go for the Bilstein B14 coilovers that are around the £500 from Germany. Having gone from Cooksports with Cup shocks to Cooksports with Konis to AST coilovers (similar springs rates to the B14) there has been an improvement in the ride quality each time. And coilovers don't mean silly low, not unless you set them silly low, and they call it silly low because you have to be silly to set it that low...

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
haha, I can see where this is going already 😂
Could I smash cams in now without getting a remap? So at least cams are in ready for ITB's etc? or will it run shitty without remap?
What cams are best for road use? Where do you guys recommend going for the work?

And @Chi what haven't you got? haha
May have to wait a bit for these bits if I do get cams now :blush:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You could run them for a while without a remap. I'd just keep it under 4k rpm. I ran mine with cams on an rs tuner map, afr was perfect, the only thing a custom remap allowed was more spark advance and fuel to suit which gave more power and torque.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Looked around at prices and whatnot, really cant afford it all in the period I have before belts need doing.
As much as I'd love to, think it will have to wait. Stag weekend to pay for as well as other things :coldsweat:

@Pearce that's so clean! Shame about all the ph2 stuff on it :wink: Does however seem to work quite well with the colour.

172 cup
Looked around at prices and whatnot, really cant afford it all in the period I have before belts need doing.
As much as I'd love to, think it will have to wait. Stag weekend to pay for as well as other things :coldsweat:

@Pearce that's so clean! Shame about all the ph2 stuff on it :wink: Does however seem to work quite well with the colour.

Yeah I'd agree normally but thought it suited the exsclusive really well an thanks dude it was a clean car an had 115k on the clock when I sold it

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Like the Exclusives, the colour looks better in the metal

Plans sound good and if you can get yours looking as good as @Pearce 's above then you're on to a winner :up:

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
So, today I went to collect the Clio, today I returned on the same train that took me 😂

Alternator issues, I knew it was at the garage but they had assured the dealer it'd be done before the afternoon. Thanks to Euro car parts sending 2 wrong alternators and not being able to get the correct one to the garage today, I had a completely wasted journey to Weston-super mare and back lol!
The guys I'm having it off paid for my train journey back home, just means I have to go back up tomorrow/Saturday to actually collect it (all being well)

So yeah, no Clio for me just yet. Just a lot of sitting around and waiting.

3rd time lucky hopefully, in alternators and trips to Weston

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
No they did, but I'd already left before anyone knew there was an issue.
Got there and was told it'd be a little wait, which I was fine with, then they realised the 2nd alternator was wrong also.
I shouldn't have gambled with going before it was 100% sorted. However if it wasn't for euro messing things up it'd have been ready when I got there.
Atleast I'm getting a new battery and alternator as well. Costing the guys a small fortune haha

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Depending when the aux belt kit was last replaced then id get them to fit a new kit.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Got it back :smile:
Few niggles, every time brake lights/indicators come on, my fog light light on the clocks comes on haha. Fogs themselves don't, just the symbol in the clocks.
Will look at the bulb trays in the rear lights tomorrow, probably something shorting out/corroded I expect.
Also, exhaust is rattling, so will check that out when I get chance.

Apart from that, I bloody love it!

10848526_10152530597402882_4998743899912800141_o.jpg

2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks nice from the one picture
I've got the same problem with the brake light/fog coming on. It's definately an earthing problem from what I've read, though ive checked a few boys I'm yet to try everything.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Just sorted my lighting problem (for now) by removing the plug, opening the flap on the top, and bending the connection a little closed. Also twisted the pin on the bulb holder to create a closer connection. All sorted.
Give that a try and see whether it works for you too.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Sweet! Will give it a go when I get chance.
These dark nights are so annoying, never get chance to do anything.
Just picked up some F1's, will get them painted up and on the car asap.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Quickly took the headlight covers off today, they were glued on with sealant of some sort, took some persuasion to get them off.
Will need to start on restoring them tomorrow, heat gun to get the sealant off and start sanding/polishing them up!

16277883821_c1ec12a4bb_c.jpg

16279674475_a4c6bfebfb_c.jpg

15659805993_6ceb100217_c.jpg

16093892287_bf618b0052_c.jpg

Taken me until now to really to sort the garage out enough to be able to get the car in there. Should hopefully be able to get on with more jobs tomorrow as I've the day off work. But knowing my luck it'll snow.
New exhaust hanger arrived today too, cheapest one I could find on eBay. Will do for now until I get a new system and look at a more permanent fix.

Got this too, be rude not to have a tidy keyring.

15659961383_c3453ac907_c.jpg