ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banging suspension

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
On my phase 1 172 (FK coilovers, solid top mounts) when I go over a bump in the road there is a f**king big knocking coming from the nsf shocker area.

It happens after the spring has been compressed and is decompressing.

Sounds like a knackered shock but they're virtually new??

Any ideas what It could be? Its too wet out for me to be crawling underneath so I was after some pointers before I get out there.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fred runs fk's I think, he may be able to help. I'm sure he'll emerge from a cloud of smoke and amble over to the pc at some point this evening.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The only banging I get is my wife slamming the bedroom door in my face. Shortly after she's thrown a blanket and pillow at me.

My suspension is more important than my marriage though.

S4 Avant
Strut top moving? Would it be possible for the spring to "stick" some how under compression, and rebound a little late, causing a knock?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thats what i'm thinking.

I was hoping as FK's are quite common, that someone may have had a similar problem.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The only banging I get is my wife slamming the bedroom door in my face. Shortly after she's thrown a blanket and pillow at me.

My suspension is more important than my marriage though.

Despite the fact you think I look like a funny fucker, you still make me laugh more than anyone in this place!

:eek:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bit of a needy bump here chaps? Any advice?

I managed 5 minutes to get the wheel off and have found the following....

1)The 'doink' kind of sound happens on the road or when the cars jacked up. Steering left/right.

2)It looks like the spring is twisting when you go lock to lock?? It then makes this 'doink' noise.

3)The banging is still there. Going over bumps, when the car is coming back to earth so to speak, there is a loud bang, like a knackered shock.

Can anyone offer any advice?? PLEASE??!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Not sure mate. I've never had coilovers before! lol!

It 'looks' ok to me, but the whole things foreign to me tbh.

Coilovers cant really be seated wrong as theyre flat at the top and bottom, unlike a normal spring. You had the coilovers fitted long??

Double check the 2 strut to hub bolts are tight, also under your top mount there is a nut which holds the top spring cup on, in theory that cant go anywhere but check it is tight.

Failing that it could be a knackered shock, balljoint. Swap coilover side to side and see if the noise moves?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Swap coilover side to side and see if the noise moves?

BINGO BANGO!

That sounds like a plan. If I swap the whole lot (strut/topmount/spring) and the noise swaps sides, I know its suspension related.

If is still there, its obviously a wishbone/other issue.

10/10 for effort Bongy! :D

Also check the wishone balljoint and ARB's for any sign of wear.
My old Clio started making a clunk a few months after fitting PI springs and dampners ( I know its slightly diff) and I noticed that one of the springs had popped out of its seat.
What FK's are they?

Dodgy one
My spring was moving on my coilovers and was told it was the norm on here :eek: However i stuck a pair of new topmounts & bearings on it and the noise and spring stopped.

It had done 45k and had, had a bearing fitted previously to the other side on standard suspension to cure play in the tops which caused a knock

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah thats what i was told, the spring moving is normal. I can't see it myself, surely something is a miss.

I'll go with Bongy's idea one night this week.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
THATS IT!!!!!

The top mount is moving actually, do you reckon thats it? I've never seen solid top mounts before so its all a bit strange to me.

Mine is doing the exact same twanging noise, I'm blaming it on (or at least I'm hoping it is) the poo Compbrake topmounts that are on the car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This is all making me feel so much better!!

Is there a better alternative??

Dodgy one
THATS IT!!!!!

The top mount is moving actually, do you reckon thats it? I've never seen solid top mounts before so its all a bit strange to me.

If its the top cap your looking at, Thats meant to move ;)

I stripped mine down and it was the bearing which had collapsed, which contributed to some interesting noises

Think I'm going for some AST topmounts, see if that solves it.

Oooh, thats not a cheapfix i bet?

Daniel, if i were you id firstly make sure everthing is tight. Check theres no play in any balljoints etc then swap the coilies side to side.

Then you know if its coilie/top mount/ bearing you can focus on finding out exactly which bit is faulty.

Saves buying parts that arnt needed. :cool:

Titanium 182
My KTR coils "Twang" when I go over speedbumps unless I'm doing like 15 mph. It sounds like one of the rear ones :S proper confuses me, I'll have a look when it's on stands on friday. I wonder if I didn't screw the shocker down tight enough or something but I used air tools :S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This is everytime though danny. Something is very wrong. How fars bedford from Bristol?? lol.

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
Ive just fitted Vmaxx and get the same "twang" noise, usually on reverse at full or almost full lock,... just put it down to the springs reseating...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Mine does this its combrake top mounts they are so s**t,is that what you fitted dan?