ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Barnett's Recaro'd Arctic 182FF

Arctic 182FF
A few non sport owners may recognise my name from one of my previous projects.
My car history is as follows:
Started with an Odyssey blue 1.2 16v ph2 clio which I bought standard but ended up looking like this when I was nearly finished with it:
IMAG0303_1_zpsb87f7e34.jpg

I then bought an Odyssey blue dci80 with some nice mods already done to it and further modded it until it looked like this:
IMAG1085_zps830b5201.jpg

IMAG1076_zpsa31c9792.jpg

Bloody loved that car but unfortunately ended up having mechanical problems to the point where it became uneconomical to fix it so I've decided to strip it for parts, so most of the parts for it will be made available shortly.

I was looking for a new car and wanted something a bit quicker, I went and viewed a Peugeot 207gti but wasn't overly impressed with the particular car I saw so the search continued until I saw this Arctic 182FF and thought, you know what I haven't had enough of? Blue Mk2 Ph2 clios! I couldn't walk away from the car having seen it so did a deal and picked it up a few days later.

I don't have any pictures of when I first picked it up and have only just got around to giving it a proper clean. But before that i swapped over a few little things from the dci to this, just the mist washer jets I had and the RS grill that I'd previously sprayed stain black and will be swapping over the dash strips etc. at some point.

Existing faded grill:
IMAG1367_zpsqgg1dt0y.jpg

Existing vs satin black grills:
IMAG1368_zpsnbaz4p1p.jpg

Before:
IMAG1366_zpsau7rzuo4.jpg

I also ordered a set of plates since the existing ones were looking a bit old and tired. Fitted that at the same time as the grill

Fresh plates:
IMAG1365_zpsbpu6wr5d.jpg

After new plates and grill:
IMAG1387_zpsxdnl5bgw.jpg

Had a bit of trouble with the rear plates, the screws holding it on were absolutely rotten. Tried putting a screwdriver in it and it just crumbled to pieces. I ended up having to use a pair of long nose pliers but I managed to get the screws out eventually.

Before:
IMAG1371_zpsqswtd9xi.jpg

Rotten screws:
IMAG1372_zps2fjro35i.jpg

After:
IMAG1385_zpsdcycet7g.jpg

You may also notice at this point that there's no renaultsport badge. There was one but I find that badge to look a bit dated, so ordered myself a 197 style badge as I prefer it to the latest one.

Before:
IMAG1356_zpstjsxmvit.jpg

After getting the badge off:
IMAG1357_zpsuhgd5ufw.jpg

Adhesive removed (hey there sexy reflection):
IMAG1358_zpsb1tett9g.jpg

Fresh badge on:
IMAG1393_zpsa8n3fukm.jpg

IMAG1392_zpsbemb2iwg.jpg

You may notice that I've got mismatching rear lights in this picture, this is because I can't decide which I prefer. I think the aftermarket ones look more modern but the car looks so good as standard, I'm reluctant to change anything! I'd like some feedback on this if possible, which looks better?
I've left the standard ones on for now as I'd have to mess about with the wiring in order for the others to function properly since they're intended for a ph1.

I decided to spend the longest I ever had washing the car today. Started off with Autoglym shampoo conditioner, rinsed off, cleaned the wheels with Wonder wheels hot wheels, tyres with Meguiar's tyre gel, then used Autoglym SRP, followed by Autoglym paint sealant. I had planned on using turtle wax as well and polishing the exhaust but the sun started to go down and it was getting a bit nippy.

Wheels were pretty grubby and it looks like there's some brake dust caked on because I just couldn't shift it.

Before:
IMAG1376_zpsdidznsb6.jpg

During:
IMAG1377_zpsadtol7p5.jpg

After 2 applications of hot wheels, but before tyre shine:
IMAG1381_zpscinwhiuk.jpg

Finished clean pics:

IMAG1390_zps2rimunes.jpg

IMAG1391_zps5bhvg4nq.jpg

IMAG1388_zps3v1gpsvk.jpg

Best part of the whole car:
IMAG1394_zpsr7amujvs.jpg

IMAG1395_zpsojvqfxkq.jpg

Sorry for being so picture heavy but I don't tend to read all the writing when looking through progress thread, I just look at the pictures like a child.

I don't have many plans for the car, it's pretty awesome as it is. Absolutely fantastic to drive, a completely different animal to the non-sports and I love it.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I think those FK euro lights suit black cars better.

Looks epic as it stands tbh. I even prefer the original Renaultsport badge though.

Arctic 182FF
I think those FK euro lights suit black cars better.

Looks epic as it stands tbh. I even prefer the original Renaultsport badge though.

Thanks for the feedback. I think they might suit darker coloured cars better as I loved the way the looked on the Odyssey dci.
Going to have to agree to disagree about the badge though, I think it looks a little more modern now personally.

Arctic 182FF
Good to see you're in renaultsport ownership now :smile:

Yeah it's been a long time coming! I've wanted a renaultsport clio for ages and it's even better than I thought it would be!

Nice!

I prefer the 197 badge

Thanks,
I find the 197 style badge a lot more pleasing to the OCD eye haha. I couldn't be doing with the RENAULT part being all upper case, the sport part being all lower case and then the Clio being the first letter upper case and the rest lower case! Plus the font is much nicer on the 197 badge imo.

Arctic 182FF
A few other small changes to appease the OCD. The 'elf' and 'cliosport' stickers in the rear window weren't aligned in any way whatsoever so I decided to get rid of the 'elf' badge. The cliosport sticker remains for the time being.

Before:
IMAG1402_zpscrnj3jxx.jpg

After:
IMAG1407_zpsva2hmwga.jpg

The Recaros already had renaultsport stickers on the headrests but they were the old style ones, so I decided to change them for the 197 style too.

Before:
IMAG1404_zpsjzpxy4h2.jpg

IMAG1403_zpsk18nlk39.jpg

After:
IMAG1406_zpsgax79xmt.jpg

IMAG1405_zpssezxwemj.jpg

I've got a few more little subtle changes planned but nothing major. Next on the list is a service as it's due one, I've ordered a service kit from Opie Oils that arrived today, I'm hoping to get around to doing it at some point this weekend.

Arctic 182FF
Was this Arney's (I think was his name on here) old car? Was really tempted to go see this...looks like I missed out!
It was indeed. I was fortunate enough be the first to contact him, first to see the car in person and I bought it then and there.