ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

Lionel Richie
well i know the weight of both Tony's and BIGASH's cars and the power outputs, they're pretty close these days! Tony's has a slight power to weight advantage, but that's only down to Tony being about 60kg (without his wallet) and James is a tad more ;)

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think there was a variance of about 40 bhp between Tony, James and Ian at the weekend.
Could somebody tell me who had more because I wouldn't know from watching the races. So far it seems that it's just me and Nick that have expressed a genuine interest and I don't think either of us care what the opposition's got. I'm looking at it for the buzz of racing. As per Fred's list and camber front and rear suits me fine!

I didn't start the thread for no reason Majit!

I've just got off the phone to my mate, and we're in. I needed to check with him as he's buying his first house/settling down but there was no hesitation.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow but as soon as i'm back, I'll be selling all my clios (6 of them iirc!) and clearing out the unit, buying a 172 or 182 and cracking on. See you in 2014, let's go racing! :D

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Lol. Cheers dude! ;)

Only said in a banterous manor Nick, if I'd thought you would have been offended by it i wouldn't have been so cheeky ;)

You've got good experience with what these cars require to that level, if it comes off I'm sure you will be a great contender.

WRX
Just as a rough guide, how many are seriously interested.

1 Nick172cup (Herbert)
​2 Adam G
3 Daniel

Mental 172 Cup
Just as a rough guide, how many are seriously interested.

1 Nick172cup (Herbert)
​2 Adam G
3 Daniel
4 Luke.

Forget power to weight and all that shiz, you lot hoon it around on trackdays and don't give toss who's got what.

Who going to police it ? Correct nobody, rolling roads and weigh bridges, forget it, everybody's trying to make this into Super GT, it's a bit of fun in Clio's ffs.

It appears your words are falling on deaf ears old chap. Doesn't seem to matter how many times you put this point across, some Charlie Whiting wannabe pops in a few posts later to offer another nugget of expertise.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
How many events/races per season would there likely be, and at which circuits would this be taking place at?

(I apologise if I'm over looking the obvious)

172 Race Car
I'm going on holiday tomorrow but as soon as i'm back, I'll be selling all my clios (6 of them iirc!) and clearing out the unit, buying a 172 or 182 and cracking on. See you in 2014, let's go racing! :D
Isnt one of the 6 suitable?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I didn't start the thread for no reason Majit!

I've just got off the phone to my mate, and we're in. I needed to check with him as he's buying his first house/settling down but there was no hesitation.

Was thinking why take so long be striped and prepped in a weekend?

Providing you got licences etc. racing at donny in the winter series triple header race!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Was thinking why take so long be striped and prepped in a weekend?

Providing you got licences etc. racing at donny in the winter series triple header race!

I have no licence, nowhere to keep a car and the trailer we'd be using has a car on it.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Isnt one of the 6 suitable?

No. 2 of them are our track cars (too far gone for this) one is a 1.2, the other 182's have all had paintwork done to get them to retail standard. I'll be buying the roughest thing I can find for sub £500. The one we spoke about would have been absolutely perfect but Sods law I've just spent £400 on paint!!

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Not sure if I've missed it but.....car aside, what kind of costs would be involved for a series like this..?

WRX
Not sure if I've missed it but.....car aside, what kind of costs would be involved for a series like this..?

Car plus about 3k to get ready for your first race. Just a rough guide figure, all depends what the car's like to start with. That 3k is assuming it's in a reasonably good state to start with.

If you're totally new to all this and have a totally standard car, probably over £4000 may well be needed.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Car plus about 3k to get ready for your first race. Just a rough guide figure, all depends what the car's like to start with. That 3k is assuming it's in a reasonably good state to start with.

If you're totally new to all this and have a totally standard car, probably over £4000 may well be needed.

Easily, not many clio's going about in good race ready mecahnical condition these days. Depends what condition of car you are willing to go racing in I guess though.

WRX
I'm happy to sort a controlled spring, as a championship sponsor (at a reduced cost)
Nice Josh but some of us have the other good springs already fitted so I wouldn't want to buy some others.

How about offering a discount if they put some of your stickers on the car?
Just food for thought, throwing an idea out there.

Cooksport Fleet
Nice Josh but some of us have the other good springs already fitted so I wouldn't want to buy some others.

Everyone will end up with the same springs, tyres, wheels etc anyway.. As one will end up being better than the other.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ffs then all the racing drivers come out to play and make us look slow :dapprove: Sam next?

1 Nick172cup (Herbert)
​2 Adam G
3 Daniel
4 Luke.
5. Jamie86

182cup & 172 racecar
Tweeks do a cage for 480 =vat
Set of shocks 200
Springs 150
Fire ex 80
Cut off switches x 2 32
Seat from 300
Harness 130

​That little lot adds up to 1372

Cooksport Fleet
Tweeks do a cage for 480 =vat
Set of shocks 200
Springs 150
Fire ex 80
Cut off switches x 2 32
Seat from 300
Harness 130

​That little lot adds up to 1372

Bargain. Sign me up.

Stuff like battery/location should be free.

Someone fitting a dry cell would be a good thing, but all cars need a minimum
Weight for sure

182cup & 172 racecar
A standard battery would need a sealed box, where as a dry cell wouldn't, and yes it can go wherever you want. Got to allow some freedom, but it will be up to the individual to choose.

The only way there would be a control anything, if it's heavily discounted. But then it's up to me in the end.

182cup & 172 racecar
Who's running this championship?

It will be a series, not a championship, you should know the difference so I won't bother explaining it.

It will be part of the Track attack French Trophy, but a 'non modified' class. this will help boost numbers to get our own grid and not share it with the Nippon Challenge cars, plus help people into a cheaper form of motorsport.

Me basically, I've been asked to throw something together and put forward the proposals.

WRX
If that's what costs are likely to be then I think I'd be seriously interested

Well they are but don't forget that you may well need to spend on brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints etc. etc.

I could have quoted a bare minimum figure that may well be right for some, but nowhere near what others may have to spend. These budgets have a habit of increasing very quickly. Mine as it's been trackday prepped, is very close to the spec discussed (without the necessary "race bits") but I've still overestimated for my own piece of mind.

I'm not trying to put anyone in the slightest, far from it. The more, the merrier but trying to be realistic. Don't forget racewear on top of about £500

Last edited: