ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

WRX
I disagree, I can throw a standard 172 round mallory quicker than the slowest people at the weekend were doing in the other classes.

I think you are underestimating how slow some of the people out on that track were!

I never said we'd be at the back;):rasp:

I was on track with some, the day before. I think I'd have been about tenth.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I disagree, I can throw a standard 172 round mallory quicker than the slowest people at the weekend were doing in the other classes.

I think you are underestimating how slow some of the people out on that track were!

Well that's encouraging!

WRX
Tony, am I right in presuming we will need a TSL transponder? If so the subscription ones seem a more cost effective alternative to minimise initial outlay.

Tony, am I right in presuming we will need a TSL transponder? If so the subscription ones seem a more cost effective alternative to minimise initial outlay.

Yes you will Adam, its been missed off in this thread. Think its called the AMB 250 or something like that that Tony has. Tbh with you, its probably easier to spend out and buy a new/second hand one as they dont depreciate in value really. So you'll save money in the long run.

Also go for a wired version also i'm told, better than having a battery powered one that goes dead mid race.

WRX
Cheers Nick. The subscription ones are about £200 less to find at first though. I know it would work out more in the long term, but that's the cost of a racesuit.

182cup & 172 racecar
What's the minimum number of cars needed to make this a viable option? I see lots of people expressing an interest, which is superb, but as Daniel has already said, expect no more than 20% of those to actually make it to the grid.

One would do,and it would be a winner!!

It will happen.

But to get a stand alone race (just french stuff) we need 22 cars to pay for the track time, if that doesn't happen, and Steve cannot keep dipping into his own pocket, then it will share the track with the Nippon Challenge as before.

Although this is good fun, it would be better not be out there with them.

I don't mean 22 cars in this production class, I mean total grid.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ah well, it works with other motorsport races....:S I think they like to call it win ballast.
My point was to eliminate the chequebook engineers......but as usual the CS keyboard warriors were awake at the time.

This aimed at me??

If cheque books start to get thrown around, then you will be asked to leave, this is basic entry level motorsport.

Was thinking of doing a timed penalty for winners, just to drop them down the grid a couple of places, but that's for the main FT lot, but it could carry on down into the production class as well.

Clio.
Surely the above posts are a form of handicapping then? When we do the Victor meldrew races at Brands the end of the year, they set us off reverse grid and at 5 sec intervals, in theory you should all cross the line at the same time, it brings the cars closer together and makes for an entertaining race.
If its two race format, then why not do an handicapped second race so that the slower chaps can mix it with the fast boys.
.....tony, not directed just at you and jay, no......
Really and truly the regs need publishing first and then its down to the masses to enter, either like it or lump it.....its a great concept, I'm interested in bringing a phase 1 out as it fits the bill, its a shame I can bring my Mk1 out, possibly an invitation class?

WRX
I think those of us that are genuinely interested are all, pretty much in the same boat Matt. We're just trying to get some basic ideas down first. As you say the regs need finalising and then I can get everything I need done from there.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Ok, what if one car was making 160bhp as standard and another was making 170 as standard? We all know it's entirely possible thanks to the chumps at Dieppe. Again, that's a genuine question.

I'd like to think it was do-able based on trust. If for example Me, Luke, Scrooge, Rob, Rob, Cub were racing, i'd trust those people 100%.

(I've sort of answered my own question because as I was typing that out I thought ''What if XYZ was racing, I don't trust them as far as I can throw them!'' lol)

Awwww

Can't believe I've only just seen this. I need to catch up!

Mental 172 Cup
Only just seen this.. Sounds good.. Power to weight is probably one of the best way to go.. Success ballast.. But all in all it sounds awesome.. As I have a car sat with a 6point cage welded in waiting to see what to do this may be the way to go..

182cup & 172 racecar
Forget power to weight and all that shiz, you lot hoon it around on trackdays and don't give toss who's got what.

Who going to police it ? Correct nobody, rolling roads and weigh bridges, forget it, everybody's trying to make this into Super GT, it's a bit of fun in Clio's ffs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Forget power to weight and all that shiz, you lot hoon it around on trackdays and don't give toss who's got what.

Who going to police it ? Correct nobody, rolling roads and weigh bridges, forget it, everybody's trying to make this into Super GT, it's a bit of fun in Clio's ffs.

Lol.

Well put Uncle Tony.

Everyone wants a cheap series, then they want loads of extra rules to make it less cheap.

That said if it does take off, I guarentee people will be cheating left right and centre a few years down the line as it ALWAYS happens, lol.

Lionel Richie
people miss the idea of SIMPLE!

the rules are

Standard car with a working dash (complete)
FIA seat
cage
ABS - free
brakes - stock sized discs front and rear - pads free
exhaust - free
engine - standard
ecu - standard unit - map free
air filter -free
wheels - free
tyres - 1A or 1B
shocks - standard
springs - branded items

done, nothing else, nothing from ebay

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
people miss the idea of SIMPLE!

the rules are

Standard car with a working dash (complete)
FIA seat
cage
ABS - free
brakes - stock sized discs front and rear - pads free
exhaust - free
engine - standard
ecu - standard unit - map free
air filter -free
wheels - free
tyres - 1A or 1B
shocks - standard
springs - branded items

done, nothing else, nothing from ebay

You forgot some of the smaller details like camber bolts and camber shims as these were allowed as well I believe?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Quite a lot missed off that tbh, there's a few things also that I think should be alright to use as they have no performance advantage having them.

Do you mean stuff like supertech valves and ARP fasteners?

If the series is going to be long term sustainable it would make sense allowing reliability mods to the engine, as it wont be the case for much longer that you can just log onto the forum and buy a useable engine for a couple hundred quid.

Do you mean stuff like supertech valves and ARP fasteners?

If the series is going to be long term sustainable it would make sense allowing reliability mods to the engine, as it wont be the case for much longer that you can just log onto the forum and buy a useable engine for a couple hundred quid.

I wasn't looking into it that much tbh, more like things like solid engine mounts that I have fitted currently to my car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Success Ballast? Have you no read a single thing Tony has said? To add the option of using success ballast is another completely unneeded expense...

Agreed, if you dont like losing then:
get better
or
quit
or
cheat

rather than expect the organiser to slow everyone else down to match you, lol.

success ballast shouldnt be needed with cars which are (meant to be) so even in the first place.

Mental 172 Cup
I have read some but joined late.. Fair enough.. I'm not bothered.. Just thought people were on about it that's all..

If I'm slower than someone (which is probably going to the case) then I'll spend more time playing with geometry and becoming a better driver. I wont be moaning, unless someone is quite clearly quicker than me/the field on the straights...

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
It's not like you lot are going to be racing for the GP championship is it, get out there win or loose and just enjoy it, it'll still be mental fun. Its the taking part that counts etc etc.

Lionel Richie
yes yes yes, all the normal bullshit - cutoff, extinguisher etc

point being is there's been about 40 posts saying "but what about coilovers?" "what about my britney spears album" NO!

Mental 172 Cup
Are we not allowed to have a fully functioning stereo so we can sing along when we are racing?

In all seriousness though.. Cup Shocks and springs will be awesome..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are we not allowed to have a fully functioning stereo so we can sing along when we are racing?

If people want a radio then its fine as far as im aware.
I know someone who says he is about to go and enter tintops in a full road car, and that is still fitted with a radio and sound deadening etc, and he realises that it will make him less competitive but says it will still be fun to race.

WRX
I think there was a variance of about 40 bhp between Tony, James and Ian at the weekend.
Could somebody tell me who had more because I wouldn't know from watching the races. So far it seems that it's just me and Nick that have expressed a genuine interest and I don't think either of us care what the opposition's got. I'm looking at it for the buzz of racing. As per Fred's list and camber front and rear suits me fine!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think there was a variance of about 40 bhp between Tony, James and Ian at the weekend.
Could somebody tell me who had more because I wouldn't know from watching the races. So far it seems that it's just me and Nick that have expressed a genuine interest and I don't think either of us care what the opposition's got. I'm looking at it for the buzz of racing. As per Fred's list and camber front and rear suits me fine!

40bhp?

I dont think so.

As Nick mentions, more like a few bhp and 100kg.