ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

182cup & 172 racecar
If that's what costs are likely to be then I think I'd be seriously interested

Don't forget, you CAN then add solid engine mounts, camber bolts, shims for the rear, roller top mounts, poly bushes.

Soon adds up, but not all necessary.

Bits like that will be done regardless of whether I try and get involved in this or not so I don't see that as too much of an issue.

If it stays a mildly turned race series then I don't see why I can't direct my track car in that direction and incur no further costs than my previous estimations, to be fair it's probably going to work out cheaper due to the controls on suspension etc and many standard parts just being refreshed rather than upgraded.

One question I would have is regarding shared drivers? Would only be able to get involved if I could rotate with a mate whose gone on halves on the clio.

WRX
Any idea on what we are going to have interior wise Tony?
I know you said original glass etc. but remove everything else - carpets, lining, door cards, glove box?

WRX
One question I would have is regarding shared drivers? Would only be able to get involved if I could rotate with a mate whose gone on halves on the clio.

​Waiting for more info but it looks possible, as it is already in the series but how the 2nd driver/race starts is in discussion I believe.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
People who have already done their ARDS, worth doing the full day for an extra hundred quid over the the half day?

People who have already done their ARDS, worth doing the full day for an extra hundred quid over the the half day?

depends how much track experience you have ? did my first ards 7 years ago as i had let my circuit licence lapse so i had to do it .... i just did the hour and the test , but then to be fair when my examinor walked out to collect me i did wonder if i should say anything and swap with someone .......... it was my driver coach and mate LOL

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
depends how much track experience you have ? did my first ards 7 years ago as i had let my circuit licence lapse so i had to do it .... i just did the hour and the test , but then to be fair when my examinor walked out to collect me i did wonder if i should say anything and swap with someone .......... it was my driver coach and mate LOL

I'd done a few dozen trackdays but never "raced"

I'd done a few dozen trackdays but never "raced"

far better doing some time with someone like tony at a track day and then doing just the basic test ..... , looking at those prices it looks expensive nowadays , i would say the half day is the basic , classroom for an hour , sit written , and then an hour in a car including the test ....

​get the msa go racing pack and watch the dvd that will tell you if you know enough and are comfortable enough to do the test without spending out on a full day .

WRX
Ards.co.uk has other circuits. MSV too, I suppose Silverstone might offer a bit more insight for the extra cost.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
far better doing some time with someone like tony at a track day and then doing just the basic test ..... , looking at those prices it looks expensive nowadays , i would say the half day is the basic , classroom for an hour , sit written , and then an hour in a car including the test ....

Tbh I generally get tuition at new tracks anyway so had a few pointers.

Pack is being ordered :)

Once i'm back from Spa will start stripping my MX5 track car to fund a Clio shaped purchase!

I'm going to have to withdraw before I've even entered, talked it over and realistically we need time to get the car ready and get some track time in before we look into something like this.

I will still aim at building the car around whatever spec is drawn up, so it's future proof in a way but will allow myself the time to just enjoy track days and get some tuition in so then maybe next year we're in a better position.

Tbh I generally get tuition at new tracks anyway so had a few pointers.

Pack is being ordered :)

Once i'm back from Spa will start stripping my MX5 track car to fund a Clio shaped purchase!

from what you have said watch the dvd and you'll be fine on the basic ...... though i have known people fail (the written bit)

182cup & 172 racecar

Atm, shared drives are possible, as long as you both get minimum 3 laps in quali, but the slower of the two drivers will start at the back of the grid in the second race.

Any idea on what we are going to have interior wise Tony?
I know you said original glass etc. but remove everything else - carpets, lining, door cards, glove box?

​Anything that can burn, take it out, but working dash must stay.

172 Race Car
Yea simple enough.

​remember the licence is yearly so if you pass this year 2013, dont apply for your licence till Jan 2014 or you'll have to pay again to renew. Unless you want to race this season of course

I hope to god they haven't up dated the DVD its so f**king cool.

​i tried to look at youtube a short while ago to see if it was on there but it does not seem to be (pretty surprised actually) ...... i have heard some numpty answers when they did the clasroom stuff before watching the dvd pre test though .....

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
well its just taken forever to read all this but i would just like to say that this has made my day.
i have always wantend to race but has been out of reach due to costs.although this it still on the borderline of what i can afford it is given me somthing to aim for.
i really hope it takes off as i will be looking to enter 2015 or possibly late 2014 after getting the car to spec,getting the licence and some race funds.
simple = FUN

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Anyone know if the ards packs are transferable as I have an unused one that I doubt I will need.

Lotus Elise
The question is what's the best base car?

182 will allow progression onto 750mc
172 Cup will be the easiest to build

hmmm

Great idea chaps.

I look forward to following progress of everyone involved.

Too much cash and too little experience for me to even remotely express interest, but fun all the same!