ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

182cup & 172 racecar
We could go around in circles all day.
I suppose we are lucky that many bits are interchangeable. This we should be grateful for.

RS Clio 172 Cup
But if you don't like them, then don't do it.
Simple as that.
Getting sick of, what about this , what about that.

The idea i believe is to encourage more people into this series? The points raised are simply people pointing out their concern with the goal of making sure the series IS attractive to them.

Obviously at some point the regs will be finalised and people can like it or lump it but until then I would have thought peoples input and thoughts would be welcomed?

That being said I can understand your frustration in what might seem like people picking holes for picking holes sake but that certainly isnt my intention if its come*accross that way. Apologies if it has. (I may have overstated my point a little to be fair;) )

Im very seriously looking into doing this hence why I asked for your opinion yesterday on tyre wear/ costs. As Chip has said I dont want to go buying equipment/ parts to later find out ive wasted my money. Ive just bought adj coilovers, 182 manifold, sports cat, brake ducts for sprinting next year so ive already wasted a lot of money if im now going to do this instead lol:eek:

For what its worth, as ive said before I think the regs are on the whole very good.I guess no regs will keep 100% of people 100% happy 100% of the time but i think these will definitely acheive low cost entry to racing and attract more people to the series which I believe is what theyre set out to do :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Stop discussing them then and ignore posts from others who do think its worth clarifying? As if disucssing the rules seems tedious, discussing people discussing the rules is even worse, lol.

I'm just trying to stop people driving tony insane with a gazillion questions every day.

The basic regs are set out. Build a car. Go racing.

If we come to the first meeting and 90% of people feel that one person is taking the piss and pushing the boundaries too far, we'll discuss it then. If however after 4 meetings we're all having fun and its pretty even racing, we'll all STFU and we'll just continue having a good time.

I'm just trying to stop people driving tony insane with a gazillion questions every day.

If we come to the first meeting and 90% of people feel that one person is taking the piss and pushing the boundaries too far, we'll discuss it then. If however after 4 meetings we're all having fun and its pretty even racing, we'll all STFU and we'll just continue having a good time.

Bingo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But why do you feel the need to discuss it, when you won't be participating?

Two reasons mate, 1 to help bring clarity so that someone elses racing doesnt end up adversely effected by arguments later on, and 2 cause Im still undecided on whether to compete at some point in this series or not, and things like vague rules are something that would put me off.

My mk1 is actually pretty close to suitable for this, but I have quite a few parts swapped off other clio models on it, ph1 dash, 172 wishbones etc, so if we can establish what bits are allowed to be swapped or not on something simple like a 172/182, it will show me if its worth trying to disucss it for a mk1.

And the reason im not just going to give it a go and find out the hard way is that to do so is a lot of effort for me as it means things like removing the quaiffe from the box, going back to standard inlet and ECU etc (and get rid of pedal box), so I really do want to know with 100% certainty up front if there is a chance of me making the car eligible or not before I invest lots of time in altering it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If im that person and Ive spent a lot of time and money preparing a car based on hearsay of what might be allowed or not and then I get banned, its going to have proved to be an enormous waste of my time and money getting to the first race, so its totally ridiculous IMHO for you to be saying to me that the only way I am allowed to find out the intricacies of the rules is to build a car and test them rather than just ask a few questions about it!

Chip does have some valid points.

I know you guys are relaxed about regs but once they're submitted to the msa and people who may not be on here are building cars to them. Changing them adhoc mid season may not be so easy. Clarity up front is best all round.

I'm sure they have plenty of time to evolve yet though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The idea i believe is to encourage more people into this series? The points raised are simply people pointing out their concern with the goal of making sure the series IS attractive to them.

Obviously at some point the regs will be finalised and people can like it or lump it but until then I would have thought peoples input and thoughts would be welcomed?

That being said I can understand your frustration in what might seem like people picking holes for picking holes sake but that certainly isnt my intention if its come*accross that way. Apologies if it has. (I may have overstated my point a little to be fair;) )

Im very seriously looking into doing this hence why I asked for your opinion yesterday on tyre wear/ costs. As Chip has said I dont want to go buying equipment/ parts to later find out ive wasted my money. Ive just bought adj coilovers, 182 manifold, sports cat, brake ducts for sprinting next year so ive already wasted a lot of money if im now going to do this instead lol:eek:

For what its worth, as ive said before I think the regs are on the whole very good.I guess no regs will keep 100% of people 100% happy 100% of the time but i think these will definitely acheive low cost entry to racing and attract more people to the series which I believe is what theyre set out to do :)

Its just absolutely ridiculous for it not to be allowed to ask for some clarity on the rules in advance before you spend your time and money building a car hoping that it will fit them!

182cup & 172 racecar
I think if you are spending a fortune on builing a car for this.
Then you are doing it wrong.
Yes Chip does have some valid point, can't argue with that at all, and discussion is good, but lets just think about it first.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think if you are spending a fortune on builing a car for this.
Then you are doing it wrong.
Yes Chip does have some valid point, can't argue with that at all, and discussion is good, but lets just think about it first.

Would cost me personally almost nothing but time to prepare my mk1 for it, few hundred quid tops, but time is something I dont want to waste if then afterwards im not allowed to race it and have to go and spend the time all over again to put it back to a decent trackday spec after de-specing it to compete.

182cup & 172 racecar
Now we've moved on from spending on parts, to time.

Still makes a change having to despec a car to race from a trackday car.

Clio.
Draft regs seem ok to me....it's all in the interpretation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 61
  WRX
I think certain people are forgetting that these provisional regs have been published, by an established racing club with experience in setting up events quite successfully so far, for "real" racing drivers to give their opinion on.

WRX
Chip, I highly doubt you could ever run your Mk1 in the production series, though the modified class you could as log as you've got an engine from the original build.
Yes but Chip would need to "interpret the rules" to his benefit anyway to stand any chance of not being overtaken by BBC:rasp:

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
This is exactlyyyyyy why I am building a car for the 182 series with the 750 Motor Club :D

The regs are clear as daylight

Lionel Richie
yeah but that's chip for you, if he or anyone else wants to f**k about with silly b****cks let them! Its simple as i've stated above!

Lionel Richie
i'm not angry LOL! They'll always be someone throwing in their 3pence about how they can basically cheat and why the rules/regs are naff etc

build a car and go racing, put up or shut up!

Clio.
Listen, theses are draft regs, so I'm guessing a more detailed set will be finalised in the future......
Chip has raised a few points, and by interpretation there are others.

I personally really like the sound of this series, as its cheap and its got french cars in it, two things I like!:eek:

There are going to be a few grey areas, but an its on a club 'open to discussion' thread, so everyone is going to have a word on what to say about it. Tony, you are going to get people asking crap questions.....thats part of it I'm afraid, you have been racing long enough to realise that.:rasp:
If you guys posting on here are GENUINELY interested in racing in this series then post away with intelligent questions, otherwise bye bye... no good clogging up and killing another thread.

Clio.
i'm not angry LOL! They'll always be someone throwing in their 3pence about how they can basically cheat and why the rules/regs are naff etc

build a car and go racing, put up or shut up!

Theres no cheating if you build a 'clio 172' as they had 15" and 16" wheels for example. Some clio 172's had increased caster and thinner glass, some clio 172's had......
I'm not splitting hairs but the list could go on.

WRX
Well I've got the heaviest car out of the lot and I couldn't give a toss. I'm also the heaviest out of us, that I know are doing it.
If the sun's out, I might even stick the climate on lol. Am I moaning? No!
I'm up for it, it's a basic series to get me racing.
The End.

182cup & 172 racecar
I'm all open for dicussion, but some trying to bend the rules that aren't even rules.

The regs will be an on going thing anyway,as in our main part of the series.

Still it gets people talking and thinking.

Cup In bits
Because people like you and swede cup love to over complicate things?

I'm not/wasn't trying to complicate things, I'm trying to simplify them in the long run. All the points/questions I have brought up are exactly what someone who knows how racing becomes will start asking, I know I would.

I think your all being very naive if your saying its all for fun which I don't doubt what it will be for a start. It's human nature wanting to win.

Also its peoples interpretation of the regs unless it says strictly 'no' and it will end up snowballing unless they're tighter than a ducks arse.

Thats all from me as Tony/Steve's head are probably bursting.

Cup In bits
Open championships are the easy one's

Just use modified road going hills/sprint regs, it will make your life easier and the MSA has already wrote them for you ;)

RS Clio 172 Cup
Open championships are the easy one's

Just use modified road going hills/sprint regs, it will make your life easier and the MSA has already wrote them for you ;)

I already compete in this class and it aint cheap if you want to be competitive. The proposed regs are much better for cheap racing ;)

Cup In bits
I meant a slightly modified regs of road going class rather modified road going regs, just being lazy on the iPad.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Assuming you could mod & remove the rose joints & run oem top mounts - anything to stop folk from picking & choosing oem suspension items from the Clio 2 cup?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If im that person and Ive spent a lot of time and money preparing a car based on hearsay of what might be allowed or not and then I get banned, its going to have proved to be an enormous waste of my time and money getting to the first race, so its totally ridiculous IMHO for you to be saying to me that the only way I am allowed to find out the intricacies of the rules is to build a car and test them rather than just ask a few questions about it!

I'm not saying anything of the sort! I'm just saying that of the three people who are 99.9% going to be racing (Me adam and nick) not one of us are complicating things like you are. We're buying a 172/182, stripping it out, fitting some bits and going racing.

I really don't see the need to make it difficult. If you want to run different bottom arms or whatnot then go ahead, you'll get no complaints from us.

At the end of the day (it gets dark) I don't really care what you or anyone else does. As long as there's no blatant cheating going on and we're all racing in a (hopefully!) packed grid, it's all good.