ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

battery light on (alternator fault)

When ticking over the battery light comes on and when at low revs when adding electrical load (lights and fans etc)
I'm pretty sure the alternator is dead as I had this problem around 9 months ago and I swapped the alternator and it was fine again. I took the alternator to a repair place and they said the voltage regulator was burned, I think this has happened again .
So my question is: why would my car be killing alternators?
Is there anything I should check?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Wrong alternator, dodgy charge circuitry or a poor exciter live to the unit itself are possibles. A/C equiped cars are normally 110A units (Valeo AI300V13)

Volt meter confirming the alternator is in fact failing to deliver charge? If so, confirm 12v at the exciter wire and if that's good send the bugger back again or replace with a Renault service exchange item for circa £140

The alternator is the right one (110a) volt Meter confirms its duff. Aye I rang Adam who gave me a price, I've got one on the way from the for sale section on the way, hopefully it will last another 9 months LOL.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check that aux tensioner still moves on the pivot if not replacing the full kit ;-)