ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery light on constantly on valver

Alfa 147 GTA
There's been a squeaking noise and the battery light occassionally flashes on for about the past month now, but today the lights been on pretty much all the time and the squeaking not as loud.

A mechanic mate said the alternator belt tension was fine, so its prob the alternator thats gone? Anyone know around how much it may be to get a new one and is it gonna be expensive to get it fitted?

Cheers

So true, like all jobs on a valver really. I changed the alternator on mine, I think I got one form a renault 19 16v, it was about £80.

Renault Clio 172
My 1.4 did the same thing and turned out it was the alternator that needed changing. Bought a new one for about £100 ish and cost £50 to fit and got £20 back after taking the old alternator back for them to recon.

Not had any problems after that!

Alfa 147 GTA
ordered one today from Halfords £96 with trade card.

Not gonna have car over xmas though as they have to order it in, gutted. Least I know what to budget for labour cost now. thanks for replies :)

340i
When the battery light comes on it means your battery isnt being charged by the alternator anymore..
Sometimes if your lucky you can give the alternator a tap it will start working again for abit, i found this out when my car cut out at 11:30pm down a pitch black country lane a few weeks back LOL