ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Terminal Connection

Golf GTD Mk7
Hi all, just wondering if it is possible to remove this; (sorry for robbing your picture Jay ;))

burpenginebay.jpg

I want to cut it off the wire and attach an eyelet to it. Is that possible, or is there something integral there that is needed?

Golf GTD Mk7
that's what i'm thinking, just wanted confirmation really. Looks like there is some weight to be saved there too.lol

SQ5
I think its a big fuse of some kind. I had the same thought but it looked like a thick fuse type of thing!

All i did was bend the spade so it wasnt so much of an angle, and it fit fine. You must have a similar junction, 2 way?

As far as i know, its just a wire, with an inline fuse, sure someone will correct me tho.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
I just chopped it off lol. Not had any issues, although it'd be a good idea to put a fuse in if you're relocating the battery.

Golf GTD Mk7
ah ok, didnt' think about that. Yeah 2 way I think. Its out of the new 3 series BMW I believe. Got it from the dealer £6. bargain!

RS RIP
Edde would have ..

Check his posts; i remembr the battery re-location thing going on somewhere and the fuse was mentioned

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm looking at getting a 150amp fuse, but don't know if this will be enough. How much does the started motor draw?

vaux cavalier
A fair few more than 150amps mate....

The 150amp fuse will not blow until it reaches around double its rated load....

The pic you linked to was based on a small engined Vauxhall, the best advice would be for you to check the stock battery specs for your car...Take note of the batteries CCA rating, this gives an indication....

The initial burst only lasts for a short time, once the engine is spinning the draw drops markedly....

It's good practice to start the car with the clutch depressed, this eases the load considerably....

I would suggest you consider a circuit breaker fitted at the battery in place of the fuse, if using 4awg cable, (battery to engine bay), then treat 150amp as a maximum, if using 0awg then 250amp maximum....

Golf GTD Mk7
A fair few more than 150amps mate....

The 150amp fuse will not blow until it reaches around double its rated load....

The pic you linked to was based on a small engined Vauxhall, the best advice would be for you to check the stock battery specs for your car...Take note of the batteries CCA rating, this gives an indication....

The initial burst only lasts for a short time, once the engine is spinning the draw drops markedly....

It's good practice to start the car with the clutch depressed, this eases the load considerably....

I would suggest you consider a circuit breaker fitted at the battery in place of the fuse, if using 4awg cable, (battery to engine bay), then treat 150amp as a maximum, if using 0awg then 250amp maximum....

Didn't realise that. Interesting :)

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p443/BATTERY-CABLE-15MM-FLEXY-RED-(PER-METRE)/product_info.html

Thats the cable i've got. Not sure what you mean by awg :S. How would the circuit breaker work compared to a fuse?

vaux cavalier
As a guide;

16sq mm = 5awg = 60amps with approx 0.5v loss
20sq mm = 4awg = 80amps with approx 0.5v loss
50sq mm = 0awg = 200amps with approx 0.5v loss

As the draw/load increases so does resistance....
As resistance increases voltage drops....

As distance between supply & load increases, resistance also increases....

So, by increasing the distance between the battery & starter your also increasing the overall resistance.... The only way to decrease resistance is to increase the actual cables cross sectional area....

The main advantages of a circuit breaker over fusing are;

Switchable; No need to disconnect battery, simply switch supply off/on...
No fuse to replace if it shorts/trips, simply check circuit & switch back on once problem sorted...
Trips quicker than a fuse blows; A fuse will handle higher currents for longer before blowing...

Due to relative short periods of max load whilst starting, I would suggest you try your 16sq mm cable fused at 100amps & see how you go.... If you blow the fuse or your starter spins slow then look at upping the cable size.... I reckon you should be ok, (but remember to dip the clutch whilst starting)....

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice one mate. So you recon 100amp, not 150amp to try? It's a racing battery, so more efficient current I believe (correct me if i'm wrong), so resistance shouldn't be too bad.