ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery's going to die, lights stuck on, what do I do?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Out in my clio, headlights are the projectors and won't turn off at all? Tried moving the stalk in literally every combination possible, opening the door, and locking it and they do go slightly dimmer when off and locked but refuse to turn off!

Gotta go out early tommorow morning and need the car, won't be much good with a flat battery :(

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
They're not on either just stuck on dim, and it seems shudder when sitting idle and often shakes violently like it's going to stall. Has a weird sound to it recently like somethings spinning round and a slight hissing from under the bonnet that just started, going to try new spark plugs tommorow as this sounds like where the hissing is coming from but any ideas to the rest of it? Annoying me that it's really shake and im far from home. No lights on on the dashboard and it won't light up either.

Thanks

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Wolf3.jpg

Aarroooooooooooooo......!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Have you read my second post? It's shuddering around alot and doesn't seem to want to sit idle without feeling like it'd going to cut out any minute, and quite nervous about the loud hissing noise and the kind of belt or turning noise? Sounds like a chugging sound and im miles from home.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Any idea how to upload it from my phone? Sitting pulled over at the min cos headlights are stuck on dimly not full so can't see 100%

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
0800 88 77 66 ...

ThAAy might be more help than anything else.

Last edited:
  mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
sounds you could have a faulty alternator.

if you dont have tools to remove the battery terminal remove the fuses.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Driving Ok but feels sluggish compared to usual, going to do AA in the morning as it's a long drive home and I just wanna go to bed. Car had its belts changed recently, could this be it? I think part of the noise is coming from the belts, the hissing from a spark plug and it seems to be shaking quite a lot under the bonnet and quite hard too, will get a video when there's more light. Good and bad news on the headlights, they're now stuck off with sidelights on. Not good to drive with but at least it won't light the road up all night...

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
UPC is fucked. Probably soaking wet.

Very quick to know is this a common fault then with that age clio? What's the best fix for it? Can it just be opened and left to dry out then resealed somehow? New to cars 100% but ideally the cheapest option is best! Is the UPC issue just affecting the headlights? Or could this be affecting the other problems as well?

Thanks

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Update: opened up the UPC and there was no water really, a couple of drips tops. Dried it out with a hair dryer on its lowest setting and noticed all the seal was very dry and loose so covered the hole where the seal sits in silicone grease and then sat the seal in this, then put in a bit more grease and shut the box. The grease held it tight together and seemed quite air tight when I tried pulling it off, so put the screws back in and tried the lights, they're working fine! Touch wood and fingers crossed this has solved the issue. Upc showed no signs of damage when looking at it.

Anyone got any ideas why the engine sounds like that? Still sounds that bad like in the video!

Have a feeling upc might have got wet from overflowing scuttle panel drains so am going to fix these asap tommorow hopefully. Anyone know of a permenant fix to stop the lights going weird again? What do you do when fitting the new UPC to protect it?

Thanks

Megane dci 130
There will be water damage on the circuit board of the UPC. See how you get on. Early clio 3 had an issue with the foam seals being poor letting water past.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
There will be water damage on the circuit board of the UPC. See how you get on. Early clio 3 had an issue with the foam seals being poor letting water past.

Ah isn't this something Renault should fix? Is there any better fix I can do myself? Seems to have been working fine since and not noticed it going weird. Also Sean, got any tips for removing the wiper arms so I can clear the scuttle drains? They won't budge at all for me even after WD40.

Thanks

Megane dci 130
Renault wont fix it for you no. Wiper arms, normally i press on the hinge with the palm of my hand and it eventually works off the spindle.