ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beat cam kit to go with jms rs2??

02 clio 172
Iv just bought a jms rs2 inlet off here and am wondering the best cam kit to go for to maximise power gains?!

Regards

Jamie

02 clio 172
Ok great, thanks for the input guys! Iv spoken to both Nick from pms and Mike woodford today so hopefully I will get this sorted asap. Iv been adviced on the 197's today as they help make peak power to 7850rpm?!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Is that to any detriment of torque losses lower down the rev range though? Or is there no downside to 197 cams with an RS2?

172 Ph1
I have 438's in mine atm , soon to be coupled with the Rs2 just sorting a minor issue needed to fit it to my Ph1 .
I spoke with mike also and he mentioned tweaks to my cam timing for these to produce good power gains .
He mentioned GroupN timing maybe , but not 100% sure it's that set-up.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok great, thanks for the input guys! Iv spoken to both Nick from pms and Mike woodford today so hopefully I will get this sorted asap. Iv been adviced on the 197's today as they help make peak power to 7850rpm?!

How often do you rev to 7850 though? Keep in mind that if it makes more torque lower down on retimed oe cams you won't need to rev the b****cks off it to get it to make progress.

You say that, but mike couldn't get past me along the back straight if bedford with his 438'd and ITB'd ph1! We were literally side by side all the way down.
How often do you rev to 7850 though? Keep in mind that if it makes more torque lower down on retimed oe cams you won't need to rev the b****cks off it to get it to make progress.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I have 438's in mine atm , soon to be coupled with the Rs2 just sorting a minor issue needed to fit it to my Ph1 .
I spoke with mike also and he mentioned tweaks to my cam timing for these to produce good power gains .
He mentioned GroupN timing maybe , but not 100% sure it's that set-up.
im going to get an RS2 now jason. mikes going to time my 438's to 421 spec to run with the RS2

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You say that, but mike couldn't get past me along the back straight if bedford with his 438'd and ITB'd ph1! We were literally side by side all the way down.
Horses for courses mate. Plus there's a lot of variables. Weight being one of the biggest. My cup is standard 172 power but it out runs a lot of stuff on track because it weighs as much as an empty packet of fags.
I know chip commented on how well your car responded as well. Let's be honest there's some good and bad f4r's out there.

Horses for courses mate. Plus there's a lot of variables. Weight being one of the biggest. My cup is standard 172 power but it out runs a lot of stuff on track because it weighs as much as an empty packet of fags.
I know chip commented on how well your car responded as well. Let's be honest there's some good and bad f4r's out there.
Yeh totally agreed, they were a perfect match before. His ran 200.4 on the same setup as mine, and mine was 200.0. His was a ph1, mine was ph2 non cup so weight was in his favour.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I have 438s with my Rs2 :smile:
Are these @Cub.'s old cams? How are they working out with the RS2? I know plenty of people have tried the RS2 with 197 cams, but not many with 438s, from what I can see. Do you have any results, either RR graphs or subjective views on how it drives compared to before?

I'd be interested to know whether there are benefits to be seen with this setup over standard cams with Mike's timing.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Mine was on an rs2, not ITB's. Mikes made 160 odd on ITB's and couldn't get past me :smile:
Ok so now I'm confused! Lol! Thought you'd posted earlier that mikes made 149lb/ft on 438's and itbs?
I imagine the reason he couldn't get past was due to the torque delivery of the rs2. If they had more plenum volume and more space around the bell mouths they'd make a very interesting proposition to itbs imo.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
so do we think plenum volume is something that can be improved upon on the RS2? as in give some more gains?
In my opinion yes. Having owned one and taken it apart you can see where the compromises are in the design. Don't get me wrong I'm not slating the rs2 as I genuinely think it does good things for the f4r as its optimised for the standard engine and the engine bay of the Clio, but I think an increase in volume and a different plenum would work wonders. I looked into doing this myself, but decided the 1k i paid for the rs2 + another 1k for a reverie carbon plenum and baseplate was a bit excessive! Lol! You could do it out of aluminium, but I openly admit I'm a tart and it needs to be easy on the eye! :smile: