ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

been offered a 172 cheap

Saxo VTS and Clio mk2 1.4
hi guys im not on here that much, mainly for the mrs infact. however a friend has offered me his ph1 172 for not alot of money (sub 1k) it needs discs and pads all round a pair of front shocks and said the cambelt is coming up soon. how much am i roughly looking at if i was to take the car on and have these few bits sorted out?

thanks!!!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I think you'd get all that sorted for £600, dependant on parts you used.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cambelt/Auxbelt kit £4-450 dependant on who does it.

Discs and pads all round £100

Front shocks £20 from a breakers.

Have yourself a nice solid car then!

320d
Belts can be done for around £430. Brakes all around if you do them yourself are about £200 for decent ones. Shocks are £50 each iirc again no labour if you do them yourself.

Looking at around £750ish DIY or about £900 from a garage i'd say. The main cost there is the cambelt really. If its sub £1K thats very cheap still.

Saxo VTS and Clio mk2 1.4
thanks. is it engine out job for the cambelt then? i can do discs and pads myself and probably the shocks, its just i dont have knowledge on parts prices for these cars (being a renault and all that).

PH1 172
Do the bits needed and have yourself a bargain round around for about £750 as you don't want to do the cambelt and aux belt yourself (make sure you do the kits and not just the belts). Front bumper, driver's side wheel arch liner + timing tools to do the job.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
For sub £1k, i'd do the brakes and shocks! Blank the timing belt till it breaks then break the car for parts!

:D

320d
For sub £1k, i'd do the brakes and shocks! Blank the timing belt till it breaks then break the car for parts!

:D

I would too actually. It may not snap for years. I know of a ph1 172 on 120K thats still on its origional cambelt so you could get away with it for years, or it could be hours.

Either way its a win win situation because you can't lose money on it.