ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bent rear stub axles???? look inside

Focus RS Mk1
Hi all, had a bit of a game with the clio these past few days! now im desperate to get the car back on the road!

So anyway, heres the situation

I did a track evening at bedford autodrome the other day, about 3/4 way through the session the rear bearing on the left collapsed and was really noisy. But becauase of the noise of the car and the helmet etc i couldnt hear it until the end of the night and i finished the track session.

So yesterday I took it apart to see my rear bearing had collapsed, the thing had split in 3 peices! the other side was slightly on its way out with the grease coming out the back of it, so i decided it was a good idea to change both sides.

i thought this was rather odd as the disc and bearings were new on the 22nd June covering about 1500miles in total. 100-130 of which on track.

Still very premature if you ask me, anyway, with my GSF reciept in hand i took them back and GSF very kindly gave me a replacement set free of charge to fit. So i go back to the car, try to put them on and the new disc/bearing assembly just fell apart when puttin them on the car, a bit odd really! So i put the bearing back together and put the discs on again, and the back of the disc, the webbing part is rubbing on the hub.

i thought perhaps this is just the crap bearing that was in the disc that fell apart so i went back to GSF and paid for a another set of disc/bearing assembly. Also while i was there i just bought a single bearing on its own with no disc on it.

So i go back and attempt to fit them, the bearings hold togehter and the disc and bearing slide on nicely BUt they are still rubbing on the hub. They discs only rub on half of the disc when it spins which indictaes bent axles.

i fit the single bearin (without disc) and it fits easily, turns perfect, slide forwards and backwards without hesitation!

This is the same for both sides on all accounts.

So in summary, the 2 new sets of discs/bearing assemlby fits and turns but rubs on the hub. The single bearing fits and spins great.

Tried A5 salvage, they dont have any, tried calling fred, cant get hold of him.

Im going to use my old discs and just fit new bearings, will cost me about £25 in total, but new stub axles are needed? help!

Do i have a bent stub axle, both sides too which odd???

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
did you have any luck with these in the end?

colin @ daventry branch called me up about this on friday, recognised the reg as yours!

172 Race Car
Spacer was the first thing I thought. It may have broken. All the bits fall out and it looks like the bearing bits

Focus RS Mk1
spacer had disintergrated and was no longer there! new bearings and spacers fitted in the end! going back together today

Focus RS Mk1
all done, problem sorted, new bearings pressed in. spacers fitted, wouldnt think those flimsy looking plastic things do much but hey ho. 175Nm on the hub nut and its all done. drives fine, no more noise.

onto the next purchases :)

Golf GTD Mk7
i'm suprised your abs sensor hasn't been damage to be honest. Forgot to fit one of my spacer, turned the disk and the abs ring was rubbing on the sensor. Doing a track day without the spacer must have done something to them?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
all done, problem sorted, new bearings pressed in. spacers fitted, wouldnt think those flimsy looking plastic things do much but hey ho. 175Nm on the hub nut and its all done. drives fine, no more noise.

onto the next purchases :)

so it was the spacer that was causing the problem then?