ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best engine oil for 172 Cup

53' 172 Cup
am planning on getting some Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 for oil change, do ppl rate it and where is best/cheapest place to get it?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Oilman is the username of the opie oils rep on here. Sounds like you googled oilman and found somewhere unrelated. Im going with opie oils too. The Silkolene seems good stuff, not heard any grumbles or higher recommendations yet.

Clio 172 mk2
Remember the complexity and delicate nature of the highly tuned French 2 litre engine and choose the oil accordingly

Black R27, 205gti
Oil + Oil filter + sump plug seal = £30 inc labour at Arnald Clark. Is it worth getting your hands dirty?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Oil + Oil filter + sump plug seal = £30 inc labour at Arnald Clark. Is it worth getting your hands dirty?

Yes, i doubt their staff work for free so can only assume its the quality of their products that suffer to get those prices.

am planning on getting some Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 for oil change, do ppl rate it and where is best/cheapest place to get it?
Its a goiod enough oil its nothing amazing though particualy for the price.

Yes, i doubt their staff work for free so can only assume its the quality of their products that suffer to get those prices.

Bulk buying of oils gets the price right down you can get away with £20 oil and filter changes usualy with labour when you buy good bulk bought oils.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Its a goiod enough oil its nothing amazing though particualy for the price.

Bulk buying of oils gets the price right down you can get away with £20 oil and filter changes usualy with labour when you buy good bulk bought oils.

Bulk buying did cross my mind but that wouldnt bring the price down to £30 for a decent oil +labour charges. I work for BMW and even with our labour charge rates and ok-ish oil and filters at £30 they cant be making much money (yes ive also considered how much oil a bmw compared to a renault takes). Economies of scale dont work on a dealership level that effective and most dealerships would sooner choose a brand that will do the job rather than a brand that will do an exceptional job, afterall the customer wont see whats in.