ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best fuel? BP Ultimate, Tesco 99 or Shell v-power

Evo
After alot of debate about just what a 197 can and cant be run on, its come apparent that all RenaultSports are recommended for use on Super Unleaded.

So what is the best fuel in everyones opinion?

With my previous clio 2003 1.4 i always used Bp Ultimate and although it increased my Economy, performance gains were next to nothing.
My uncle runs a 300bhp Sierra Cosworth and his engine builder advises Bp Ultimate only, Whereas my mate has a 250bhp Pulsar and his engine tuner advises Shell v-power only.

What do the Clios prefere?

Evo
It wasnt another 'What can i put in a 197' Question, more of a what does everyone use/in own opinion think is the better choice.

172 cup
personally i find -
V-power seems to make the most differance in responsinsiveness.
Tescos 99ron is almost as good but a fair bit cheaper

economy wise i find there on par

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
i run my 172 on optimax/v-power for 3 years, my 182 now runs on tesco 99 with the odd tank of ultimate/v-power for cleaning. you wont see any difference between the 3 mentioned

RS RIP
a high RON one. Here in Holland V power is'nt 98 , it is 97-ish octane. So i always stick to Ultimate as this was proven to be a genuine Ron 98.

Some places in Germany sell RON 100 V power. I know that Fastchip mapped a customers car (who fuels up his car with this stuff) to suit the RON 100 and he could really feel the difference

Any genuine 98 will be fine i guess.

Lionel Richie
tesco's imo as it uses a small amount of ethanol i believe, but i don't see the point in using them tbh, all the cars at work are run on normal stuff (ferraris, lambos, porkers, astons, bentleys, tvrs etc and they get thrashed all day on track)

Evo
a high RON one. Here in Holland V power is'nt 98 , it is 97-ish octane. So i always stick to Ultimate as this was proven to be a genuine Ron 98.

Some places in Germany sell RON 100 V power. I know that Fastchip mapped a customers car (who fuels up his car with this stuff) to suit the RON 100 and he could really feel the difference

Any genuine 98 will be fine i guess.

Bp Ultimates only 97 RON over here.

It's a common misconception amongst car enthusiasts that higher octane = more power. This is simply not true. The myth arose because of sportier vehicles requiring higher octane fuels. Without understanding why, a certain section of the car subculture decided that this was because higher octane petrol meant higher power.
The reality of the situation is a little different. Power is limited by the maximum amount of fuel-air mixture that can be jammed into the combustion chamber. Because high performance engines operate with high compression ratios they are more likely to suffer from detonation and so to compensate, they need a higher octane fuel to control the burn. So yes, sports cars do need high octane fuel, but it's not because the octane rating is somehow giving more power. It's because it's required because the engine develops more power because of its design.
There is a direct correlation between the compression ratio of an engine and its fuel octane requirements. The following table is a rough guide to octane values per engine compression ratio for a carburettor engine without engine management. For modern fuel-injected cars with advanced engine management systems, these values are lowered by about 5 to 7 points.

Compression ratio Octane

5:1 72
6:1 81
7:1 87
8:1 92
9:1 96
10:1 100
11:1 104
12:1 108

V-power every time for me. BP ultimate isn't bad, especially seeing as it's much cheaper than it used to be.

I've used the tesco super stuff a few times and tbh I may as well just pissed in the tank. It didn't last long at all! I used about half a tank within 2 days whereas I usually barely use a quarter with v-power and it didn't feel like it was running as well as it does on the v-power. Didn't thrape it either, just the same old journey to work etc.

Used normal Unleaded for ages and car ran like a dog. Moved over to V-Power a few months back and its been really smooth since.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Used normal Unleaded for ages and car ran like a dog. Moved over to V-Power a few months back and its been really smooth since.

Not being funny but it really depends what dog it is.
If its a staffy, it would run sidewards. If its a greyhound, it would be pretty damn fast.

Just wanted to make a point.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
V-power, the only one that I've seen evidence of the cleaning properties. If they put the same cleaning additives in normal ron I'd use that.

MODDED 172
Gotta be v-power for me. Do you eat tesco or sainsburys home brand stuff it aint as good as the branded food. same goes for their fuel why have tesco bomber fuel when you can have shell. you dont see tesco stickers when there is a grand prix on, even the racing boys steers clear of them.

dont really agree there davey im afraid

they brand as their own due to sales and price they get it of main distributor, most of the unbranded stuff in supermarkets is a known name repackaged n sold in bulk to the supermarkets ;)

vpower promotes better/smoother idle on TDK.

tesco seems to pull more on boost

but sayin that sainsburys is decent too

minimum i run is the esso 97, alot of people will say theres no difference but i found differences on the RR, and was mapped due to this accordingly

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Gotta be v-power for me. Do you eat tesco or sainsburys home brand stuff it aint as good as the branded food. same goes for their fuel why have tesco bomber fuel when you can have shell. you dont see tesco stickers when there is a grand prix on, even the racing boys steers clear of them.
Tesco's and Sainsbury's tend to get there fuel from Shell, BP etc

alien green rs133
anybody curious to octane of lpg :D:D:D

103+ :D depending on quality

higher octane means pinking is reduced so timing can be advanced :D

Quote from wikipedia
"Its advantage is that it is non-toxic, non-corrosive and free of tetra-ethyl lead or any additives and has a high octane rating (108 RON). "

Last edited:
  Ph2 172 Cup
Almost all of the 'scientific' studies conducted in the magazines and the like suggest that there is marginal difference to be had or at least if there is a benefit you have to seriously consider the performance/cost ratio.

I tend to fill up with V-power (versus Morrisions, my other local) because I think I can feel a difference. There almost certainly isn't I'll freely admit that - but since it feels better and I feel like I'm looking after my car it's worth the premium to me.

Kind of reminds me of the bottled water vs tap water debate.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i wondered where the sainsburys fuel came from.. good to know that.

tesco 99..?

marks and spencers chocolate is made by thorntons btw ;)

Tesco is EXxonMobil, again UK fuels are through Peterhead and refined in Mosmorran.

Anymore!? ;)

Lionel Richie

they sponsor one of the Ford WRC cars IIRC ;) quite well used in the track day scene