ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best stuff to clean wheels??

Renaultsport Clio 182
how do all - my 182 wheels are in a sorry state and need a good clean!! what's the best product to get shot of baked on brake dust and other sh!te?

ideally they could use a full refurb but in the meantime is there anything i can use to put a bit of life back into them (they are standard silver ones btw)

cheers

CLIO Iceberg 172
the chepo simoz stuff shifts crap well but use it too much it dulls the wheels shine, or if ya like me and have just refirbed it reacts with the lacquer!!

morroal of story cheap and quck dont really always work
but buy one get one at £4 a bottle i couldnt argue

Renaultsport Clio 182
i'm not a detailing fanatic so i'm not looking to spend loads at this stage. when i get em refurbed i'll buy some better products to keep em looking nice but for now its a case of anything is better than nothing.

might nip down to halfrauds now to see what they've got

Engine and machine cleaner from Auto Glym if you aren't fussed. Cheap and large spray bottle.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Diluted g101 will stay the stubborn crap off. Then a milder wheel cleaner to finish!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Or just use jd's sperm! It cleans anything!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely after being near your bird!

;) oh how I jest!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
33minutes and not even a good comeback! Gutted ;)

Still heart your floppy hair tho!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols mines as long as needsters bush! Actual fact iirc maybe.

Two words.

First word; sounds like "haven"

Second word; sounds like . . . s**t said it in the description of the first!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Shaven haven?

Do I get a milkybar for guessing right?

Phosphoric acid 10-25%
Nonionic surfactant 5-15%
Citric acid 1-5%
Nitric acid <2%

Active content:34% nominal

f**k that!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols naughty even without the floppy hair! Tut tut!

mk7 fiesta zs
keep the wheels waxed / sealed and a shampoo will keep them looking good with a weekly wash, use a nin-acidic cleaner like bilberry if they get pretty grubby. wonder wheels and other harsh acid based cleaners should be a last resort really

Renaultsport Clio 182
trust me i am down to a last resort - i'll give wonder wheels a bash i think cos they cant get much worse than they already are!!

refurb happening soon hopefully (after i've had my cam belt done........ouch)

Audi TTS S Tronic
Phosphoric acid 10-25%
Nonionic surfactant 5-15%
Citric acid 1-5%
Nitric acid <2%

Active content:34% nominal

f**k that!!

It's what the local car rental garage uses. Have used it around 5 times on my almost new Wolfrace alloy wheels and not had a problem with it...

Wonderwheels - heard it won best car wheel cleaning product on magazines about five years in a row, so tried some and haven't looked back. Absolutely melts off braked dust!! http://www.carcarenut.co.uk/details1.asp/ProductID/75/wonder-wheels.htm

Causes wheels to loose their shine, however careful you are.

trust me i am down to a last resort - i'll give wonder wheels a bash i think cos they cant get much worse than they already are!!

refurb happening soon hopefully (after i've had my cam belt done........ouch)

Get them refurbed, then seal and wax them then just keep it topped up. As kev said, they will wash easily with just warm soapy water.

It's what the local car rental garage uses. Have used it around 5 times on my almost new Wolfrace alloy wheels and not had a problem with it...

Guarantee you will. The reason car rental garages use it is because they deal with caked on dust and grime every couple of weeks. This will make the wheels look silver, but not shiney. Something they will not be bothered by.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think there was an admition that I gave correct info out there!

Polish with super resin polish, then seal with something like Poor Boy's wheel sealent.

However, there are many other products with new ones popping up all the time.

Personally, SRP/Megs ScratchX2 to cut back, seal with Poorboys, then wax with something like Collinites 476 or something else hardwearing.

PH-QUICK
Oven cleaner.

No joke took properly caked on brake dust off my rims without touching the paint, excellent stuff. Just don't get it on your fingers...

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I swear by Bilberry and a good sealent (Poor Boys Wheel sealant is what I have).... I've not tried alot of the newer products as the Bilberry is lasting me bloody ages (Probably cos I've not cleaned the car since FCS)