ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bicycle Rack for a Mk2 172

Im going on holiday soon, had planned on takng the bikes but not used a bicycle rack on the Clio yet.

In past experiences bike racks always tend to scratch the car, even though theyre padded and not meant to do damage.

Anyone had experiences with bike racks?

Lots of Alfas

I use the Renault roof rack and bike holder on my Clio and that works fine, the pads dont scratch the car either.

Quote: Originally posted by davebem on 19 July 2005

I use the Renault roof rack and bike holder on my Clio and that works fine, the pads dont scratch the car either.
What did that cost?

I assume the bike holder fits to the roof on the rack, I was thinking about one that goes on the boot. Ill see if I can find something on the Renault website.

tiTTy & SV650

do a wee search to find allys old one, now mine.

Go for a high rise 3 bike rack for the back, halfords deluxe is the one I got from Ally.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Ive got one simular to that one and TBH I dont think there that good. There not all that secure and on long journeys no matter what you do the straps manage to work loose and you have to stop and tighten them. I reckon the straps would damage the paint work with a lot of use as well. Im gonna get one for the roof when I can as I just dont trust it, I find myself constanlty looking in the mirror expecting something to fall off

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 19 July 2005

Ive got one simular to that one and TBH I dont think there that good. There not all that secure and on long journeys no matter what you do the straps manage to work loose and you have to stop and tighten them. I reckon the straps would damage the paint work with a lot of use as well. Im gonna get one for the roof when I can as I just dont trust it, I find myself constanlty looking in the mirror expecting something to fall off

Thats odd, looks like the one Ally uses without problems, you sure youre adjusting it properly?

Ill keep searching.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by bean on 19 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 19 July 2005

Thats odd, looks like the one Ally uses without problems, you sure youre adjusting it properly?

Ill keep searching.
Mines got two less straps than that one but I still dont trust them, they just move around too much. Plus you have to take it off to get in the boot.

i had a similar one... always had probs... had to be careful when turning as it would lean... it was fitted properly beffore u say it... left a scratch on the valver too.

Im here! ;)

Right, that rack above is similar to the one I sold Rory182 - it was great at first (doesnt scratch the car if youre careful) but when I fitted Apex springs the rack just wasnt dealing with the bigger shocks being transmitted to the car - I was pretty concerned a couple of times so stopped using it. Itd be fine if youre not planning on fitting aftermarket springs, or carry extra-heavy bikes.

But I now use roofbars and carriers - 1000% more secure and stable, even with Apex springs and brisk driving :devilish:. Either see your Reno dealer or check out http://www.skidrive.co.ukwww.skidrive.co.uk (cheapest place for THULE racks/bars).

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 19 July 2005

Im here! ;)

Right, that rack above is similar to the one I sold Rory182 - it was great at first (doesnt scratch the car if youre careful) but when I fitted Apex springs the rack just wasnt dealing with the bigger shocks being transmitted to the car - I was pretty concerned a couple of times so stopped using it. Itd be fine if youre not planning on fitting aftermarket springs, or carry extra-heavy bikes.

But I now use roofbars and carriers - 1000% more secure and stable, even with Apex springs and brisk driving :devilish:. Either see your Reno dealer or check out http://www.skidrive.co.ukwww.skidrive.co.uk (cheapest place for THULE racks/bars).
I wont be changing the springs, so hopefully should be ok.

Put a bid on Ebay for a high mount cycle carrier from Halfords, if that falls through Ill checkout http://www.skidrive.co.ukwww.skidrive.co.uk