ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Steve World Cup Williams šŸŒ

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing I like more than a challengeā€¦ :unsure:

As I mentioned before, the strut tops in the engine bay are drilled for a strut brace that was previously fitted to the car:
bdd89f63-02aa-4f14-81c2-4f1227bcff53-jpeg.jpg

I would usually look to get the strut tops welded and the holes filled in, but I like the originality of this car, so wanted to see if could source another identical strut brace.

I mentioned before that I found one for sale on eBay in the UK and bought it, but Yodel lost it! :mad::( (BTW NEVER send anything with Yodel, theyā€™re šŸ’© heads! šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬)
0ff6a6fb-65a0-4ade-bf47-66de2fed5003-jpeg.jpg

So I set my heart on finding another one, and after a LOT of googling, managed to find a New Old Stock one for sale in Italy, but they wouldnā€™t send it to me in the UK because of Brexit, so I asked them to send it to my companies office in Munich, and this morning managed to get it back home following a business trip!
a3ea11f8-b6a3-4d30-be4b-8d76e32ba907-jpeg.jpg

• Train to Frankfurt airport
  • Thru airport security (Wasnā€™t confiscated from me! šŸ™‚)
  • Managed to get it on board with me (Wasnā€™t asked to check it in! šŸ™‚)
  • Sauntered thru UK Customs šŸ›ƒ (No tax to pay! šŸ˜‰)
  • Properly unpacked it at home, and clear to see itā€™s been on a shelf gathering dust for MANY years!!
Another box ticked for this car!! :love:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Originally the car didn't have one. So having one does not improve it's originality.

Weld em up!

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Originallyā€¦

Originality wasnā€™t perhaps the best word I could have chose, itā€™s the history of this car I like.

I quite like the fact that this little Williamsā€™ journey through multiple owners has resulted in modifications and makes it part of what it is. For sure I could go for a bone stock OE restoration like I have done on my 5GTT Raider and 11 Turbo, but everyman and their dog seem to be doing that now to their Clio Williams, and putting a lot of effort into out-doing each other. This time Iā€™m going to buck the trend! šŸ¤Ŗ

Larger rear spoiler and strut brace will be staying; šŸ˜‰ but Iā€™m not going to paint the rocker cover blue, thatā€™ll get one of my šŸ„§šŸ”‘ Aluma Blast refurbishmentsā€¦.. more to followā€¦.

16V F7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16V
Do what you want with it, OE+ is better in my opinion but each to their own. I got the oe bug bad with my gtt and got a bit board of it in the end. A few little choice and tasteful mods make it your own and separate it from the norm. Easy for another owner to put it back to standard if it ever did get sold.

What silver you using on the rocker cover if you ditch the Hill power blue? I read you can get F16 I.e sticker to go on the ignition lead cover but will that stay on with the heat?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Do what you want with it, OE+ is better in my opinion but each to their own. I got the oe bug bad with my gtt and got a bit board of it in the end. A few little choice and tasteful mods make it your own and separate it from the norm. Easy for another owner to put it back to standard if it ever did get sold.

What silver you using on the rocker cover if you ditch the Hill power blue? I read you can get F16 I.e sticker to go on the ignition lead cover but will that stay on with the heat?
Iā€™ve had some real great success with this product:

Check out my Clio 182 Thread:

Iā€™ve seen a place in France that sell reproductions of the the ignition lead cover, can see myself getting one of these when I need one:

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Nipped up town for a spot of lunch today and took the Clio Williams, couldnā€™t resist a photo when we parked up:
ef9b50a5-9e62-4958-9660-e304e1f6f250-jpeg.jpg

After lunch, I cajoled my wife Sarah into giving the car a drive for the first time. You know how it goes guys with your wives/partners šŸ™„:
  • ā€œThe clutch is too heavyā€
  • ā€œThe brake pedalā€™s too longā€
  • ā€œThe acceleratorā€™s too sharpā€
But within a couple of miles, sheā€™d got used to the car and the compliments started to come in:
  • ā€œThereā€™s no rattles..!ā€
  • ā€œIt feels really solid and stableā€
  • ā€œItā€™s quick!ā€
fcf1dc24-9387-4f86-b741-803fdb4b61db-jpeg.jpg

Took her out to a few country roads we like to drive, and she really got into it:
b102ce99-151f-4531-b31b-7b7932735ef9-jpeg.jpg

And I even managed to get a little video of her driving it round a couple of favourite corners, and the car gave a little POP as she accelerated away!
cdf4ee49-8efd-47af-90fa-e96d6f9cdf18-jpeg.jpg

Chuffed that all the secondary Oil gauges are working well:
524acc8b-5270-4dc6-abb0-6ef68c1950ef-jpeg.jpg

Makes your life easier when your partner likes your car doesnā€™t it..!? šŸ˜‰šŸ˜†

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Started to take the car apart tonight for the major service:
608b618d-7f88-4fba-8b1a-246acef9adaa-jpeg.jpg

4f4b90ff-4abb-4c68-9b5d-4ef3d9a691a1-jpeg.jpg

Thereā€™s a lot of grime & surface rust present, but everythingā€™s coming apart alright, nothings broken off at all!!
0fa98a31-4ec0-47c4-aab6-9f46977cf4f7-jpeg.jpg

Front drivers headlight removed to expose the belts, which seem really loose. I know thereā€™s something about the tensioner teeth breaking, so suspect there may be an issue hereā€¦ will see when I strip it down.
069128a5-e90a-49e3-8b5b-0ff2a9034342-jpeg.jpg

Radiator drained and removed, and chuffed to see that the car was full of Type D! šŸ‘
c4286f2a-2597-4deb-b845-2cc6f50ec765-jpeg.jpg

1d1b3650-bb88-4efe-86cb-a4aaae8f06ea-jpeg.jpg

Already fighting the urge to take it all out and get everything sprayed, plated, powdercoated, refurbished etc etc etcā€¦ šŸ«£

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Started to take the car apart tonight for the major service:
View attachment 1630790
View attachment 1630791
Thereā€™s a lot of grime & surface rust present, but everythingā€™s coming apart alright, nothings broken off at all!!
View attachment 1630792
Front drivers headlight removed to expose the belts, which seem really loose. I know thereā€™s something about the tensioner teeth breaking, so suspect there may be an issue hereā€¦ will see when I strip it down.
View attachment 1630793
Radiator drained and removed, and chuffed to see that the car was full of Type D! šŸ‘
View attachment 1630794
View attachment 1630795
Already fighting the urge to take it all out and get everything sprayed, plated, powdercoated, refurbished etc etc etcā€¦ šŸ«£
Steve you owe it to the community to go fully mental with this build mate.

Celica GT4
Awesome stuff Steve, Iā€™ll be following this!

I bought the rusty phase 1, 2 weeks ago by the way šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Clio 172 cup
Will be following along, really tempted by a Williams but past my pay grade unfortunately, will have to stick with my alien for now

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Dismantling continues this evening, with the Aux belt coming off, and the alternator. Only had one bolt break on me so-far into the aluminium inlet manifold šŸ˜¤
93c9f0a4-bd88-4ae6-b07f-0784fa17d9e6-jpeg.jpg

21501f05-fc7d-4cb7-b529-8d6aab556cc3-jpeg.jpg

6529ba0a-bbef-4752-b1f9-42c930d25ff1-jpeg.jpg

She keeps gently whispering in my ear words of encouragement to get stuck in though, especially when I have a look at the front panel of the subframe:
763863ff-f925-470c-98d7-6dcddad6047c-jpeg.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you get these from Steve?
I've ordered all of this lot, from these locations @Pikey009. Not all of it has turned up yet, but it's on it's way:
  • Sills both sides
Drivers Side -> https://www.carz2.co.uk/renault-clio-91-898--full-sill-even-number-driver96685-96685-p.asp
Passenger side -> https://www.carz2.co.uk/renault-clio-91-898-full-sill-even-number-ds-odd-number-ps---2--96684-p.asp
  • Front Jacking Points:
Same as 5 GTT -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233783841829
  • Rear Jacking points:
Same as 5GTT -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334043405448
  • Williams Rear Arches
I've ordered a pair of (apparently) correct williams/valver form rear arches from this chap in France to save my welder man have to re-create the panels from sheet material. They're not bloody cheap at ā‚¬250 (Ā£237.61) but they look like they should be saving me a lot of fabrication time, so went for this option. They've not turned up yet, so maybe hold off buying them until I get them and see what they're like... -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cliowilliamsgroupeaparts/posts/2332052620165230

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Is it possible to get hold of subframes? I know they are from cup cars. I think mine is pure rust!
You can get a subframe off a standard MK1 Clio, but the Williams ones were double skinned apparently, so It wouldn't be identical. Best to try & re-fabricate yours.

You can see from the picture above, mine doesn't look too fresh! šŸ‘†

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Subframes on the Williams are triple skinned and were only fitted to the Williams so finding one is going to be nigh on impossible

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I can confirm that the bracket guy at Renault was definitely working overtime when they designed this car!!! Christ on a bike šŸ™„ and I thought the 5GTT was over complicated in some areasā€¦! šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

Work continued to pull the engine bay apart today as I wanted to get the Aux belt tensioning bracket off to see if all of the tensioning teeth were there, as the belt was really loose on my car.

The tensioning bracket is linked to the power steering pump bracket, so I drained the PAS fluid, and found it a little too brown for my liking, so Iā€™ll make sure I drain the whole system and replace with some clean fluid:
d3ad6e53-17e5-4cfb-b372-ab04731a5b5d-jpeg.jpg

Interestingly, the PAS pump was the OE Fit, and still felt great when I gave it a spin:
9c660416-f0e6-4f79-b75a-57cdc108d3ec-jpeg.jpg

After another thousand bolts šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø I got the Aux belt tensioning bracket off & found that the teeth were in perfect condition, but the pulley looks like itā€™s been a boat anchor āš“ļø!
aabd4b0f-74bc-4a9c-adb1-8106e32008ac-jpeg.jpg

Chuffed that I donā€™t have to replace that!

Next stop was to remove the inlet manifold, so itā€™ll make it easier to replace a few broken bolts:
fefe2f70-1078-4c67-9ac7-3d915b1cde1d-jpeg.jpg

Noticed that ALL of the injector plugs are broken, in some way or another. (If anyone knows where to get new Grey AMP connector housings please let me know):
688ed583-3322-4bef-98e7-c569775feb39-jpeg.jpg

Another hundred bolts later and got it off:
83e3284d-12ad-4d8e-9269-4cac849238f7-jpeg.jpg

Not going to take much more effort to remove the engine entirely.. and I think Iā€™m probably going to go that way so I can sort out the subframe which looks rotten! šŸ’€

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
This website is going to be your new favourite thing ;):ROFLMAO:
They sell replacement injector plugs amongst many other things, I've bought loads of stuff from them for my Williams restoration and I can't recommend them highly enough

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
This website is going to be your new favourite thing ;):ROFLMAO:
They sell replacement injector plugs amongst many other things, I've bought loads of stuff from them for my Williams restoration and I can't recommend them highly enough
200.gif

Oh WOW!! Looks like theyā€™re going to get a big fat order in..! Thanks @16v_paddy šŸ™šŸ‘ŒšŸ»

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Don't cheap out on the tensioner pulley as the cheap ones are crap and the good ones are ridiculously expensive, this is the cheapest good quality brand one I've managed to find after a quick look

And here's a genuine one for reference

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Don't cheap out on the tensioner pulley as the cheap ones are crap and the good ones are ridiculously expensive, this is the cheapest good quality brand one I've managed to find after a quick look

And here's a genuine one for reference

You donā€™t recommend the plastic ones then??

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Big Steve: 'This car is for me to enjoy, I'm not going to completely strip it down and nut and bolt resto it'

Also Big Steve:

View attachment 1631362
Proper laughed at this @Tubbs Vice !! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Yea I do seem to be reverting to form a tadā€¦ just do me a favour, and donā€™t read the next post Iā€™m about to put upā€¦ šŸ™ˆ

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Arches arrived from France and look great:
c81c75ea-b2c5-4b73-8c8c-53d1a32479a1-jpeg.jpg

Had a little play with them this evening and discovered something VERY Interesting!!

Held up the first arch to the drivers side rear arch and thought to myself, ā€Wow, these are šŸ’©, they donā€™t match the form of the archā€:
3cd92bce-3070-4a0e-af5d-617142072c10-jpeg.jpg

Before I got upset, I compared the passenger side and the arch fitted EXACTLY:
61380e2f-4413-4ef4-a999-ac29b0d040e6-jpeg.jpg

Hmmm, thatā€™s interestingā€¦ so whatā€™s going on????

I then remembered I bought a standard Clio 1 rear arch repair panel and wondered how they comparedā€¦ JUST LOOK AT THIS FOR A CLEAR EXPLANATION šŸ˜²
c9081ac3-c405-4455-a6cc-6130bcb18dc4-jpeg.jpg

The drivers side rear arch is by far the worst, and is bubbling up under the paint. So I can now say with some authority:
  • The Driver side rear arch has been repaired already with a standard Clio MK1 Rear Arch repair panel, and is bubbling up because quite probably full of filler.
  • The passenger side is mostly original.
Buoyed on by this, Iā€™ve just ordered myself a pair of inner rear arches from the chap in France which I think will help no-end when it comes to the repairsā€¦. But as you can see, at a cost! šŸ’°šŸ˜©
3be51ac6-a647-4f01-a229-6504c2425b67-jpeg.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
No because they're completely wrong :ROFLMAO:
Can you please elaborate on that a little more?

Iā€™m a plastics engineer so know a thing or two about the stuff, and suspect it wasnā€™t plastic originally because they didnā€™t have the ability to mould it back in the late 80ā€™s, so thatā€™s why I believe itā€™s Metal.

Just wonder if youā€™ve ever heard of any failures with plastic ones?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Can you please elaborate on that a little more?

Iā€™m a plastics engineer so know a thing or two about the stuff, and suspect it wasnā€™t plastic originally because they didnā€™t have the ability to mould it back in the late 80ā€™s, so thatā€™s why I believe itā€™s Metal.

Just wonder if youā€™ve ever heard of any failures with plastic ones?

Just from the pictures it just doesn't look right to me, I don't trust the look of the dimensions & fitment to be correct. Bit difficult to say without actually having 1 to see next to the original though. In nearly 18 years of dicking about with Mk1's this is the 1st time I've ever actually seen plastic ones existing for these, I've got no idea if they're any good or not so you're gonna have to be the guinea pig on that one šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
But looking at them & the price compared to the ones I know are the better quality, my gut instinct just screams sod trusting one of those