ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Any idea what for? I thought "track group ltd" was a track day support and experience company not vehicle prep.

What I don't understand (and im not trying to rub salt in any wounds or to stir) is how you can take your vehicle to a company (in this instance "TDF" ) and have Matt design and build you a vehicle for a monetary fee which is then invoiced by a completely different trading name (which is nowhere to be seen and proberbly not mentioned either at the time).

Sounds dodgy as hell to me like some kind of tax evasion scam.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
From what I've learned locally, the rest of the companies that formed Track Group are still going as that, they just binned off TDF. Matt and Steve (Track Club owner) are apparently not on speaking terms and havn't been for a long time

Its non of my business really James so tell me to jog on but what do the invoices say (not value but company details)? It must be so infuriating to find yourself in a position like this still after so long and I'd personally just drive there and start using my fists to regain satisfaction and maybe take some tool boxes... not the right way to go I know but when people start playing with my bank account I get very defensive. I also didn't realise "TDF" was a trading name of "Track Group Ltd" either, pretty naughty card to play for such a reputable company.
I originally called TDF from this forum in August 2011 the car build was invoiced in August by Track group who Matt described as they work together etc so I didn't have any issues with this at the time (Maybe my fault) Then in December when the car was taking longer and longer to get ready I had a quick look on companies house just to do a quick background check make sure incase anything went tits up all would be okay and then saw a few days prior to me checking Matt Faulks had been removed as a director of Track-Group. I don't really know what happened all I know is that I called TDF, I then dealt with Matt from start to finish and in my eyes the car was built by TDF. Once the main build was completed I was invoiced by TDF.

LOL just not worth it for me :) At the end of the day I now have the car I wanted 18 months ago just had a very expensive lesson out of it!
TDF and Track Group legally look like two different companies. TDF is owned by Matt Faulks (records from Companies House show this), and he is the only Director. Track Group have different directors, none of whom are Matt Faulks.

As Mick says, if the invoice for the work is from TDF, then that's who is responsible, end of story.

So you're aware, a CCJ was issued against TDF in the middle of May.
Didn't realise that James so thanks for letting me know! Nothing surprises me though

Track Group was a PLC started in September 2010 by directors from Tour-De-Force, Track-Club & Performance Centre with a few people from Rollcentre, Ricardo and Cosworth joining the newly formed group.
They had an idea to create one big limited company with a huge custom built facility, move all their equipment into it and do big car builds sharing their joint expertise.

For some reason or other though they mostly fell out with TDF and removed Matt as a director in December 2011. Depending on how long after August 2011 they started building your car then I would say it was 90-100% built by TDF.

For what it's worth I've heard really good things about the remaining Track-Group so I don't think there reputation should be tarnished with this build.

I know a specific ex-cosworth person has an opinion of their own, but honestly depending on who you speak to the stories differ. Either way it's pretty clear who built this car and I don't think trying to fob it off onto his old partners is going to gain him any friends.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
James, you are a better man than me for letting it go and that car is honestly a Mahoosive credit to you as it puts some "professional" builds to shame.

One day though he'll get his... karma's a b**ch like that... it may not be for years but it will happen.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Omfg! This already was the greatest clio racecar build i've ever seen and since the last update it got even better!
​top job mate, and indeed, the wrap makes alot of sense!

Clio
I would have killed the f**ker by now! Fair play to you for staying calm and dealing with it the correct way! But look at it this way, if he hadn't of done such a s**t job first time around, you probably wouldn't have half the ability you now have :) still it's a very expensive lesson in mechanics!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Stunning James, looks like a totally different car from the one I saw at Llandow many months ago!

This thread should be stickied and new members made to read it from start to finish!

(I did, but over several weeks :p).
Lol thanks for reading it all thats some dedication :)
Either way it's pretty clear who built this car and I don't think trying to fob it off onto his old partners is going to gain him any friends.
Yes thats my point mate everyone knows who built the car but anyway nothing will change lol :)
James, you are a better man than me for letting it go and that car is honestly a Mahoosive credit to you as it puts some "professional" builds to shame.

One day though he'll get his... karma's a b**ch like that... it may not be for years but it will happen.
Thanks Mick very kind of you :) Will have to pop in with it and say hi next time i'm down at Donington!
This car is absolutely stunning, great work... although makes me extremely jealous!
Thanks Rhys :) Hope yours is coming along well!
Omfg! This already was the greatest clio racecar build i've ever seen and since the last update it got even better!
​top job mate, and indeed, the wrap makes alot of sense!
Haha you are too kind! Thank you very much, yes in small bits the wrap is great, doing big panels is a PITA lol
I would have killed the f**ker by now! Fair play to you for staying calm and dealing with it the correct way! But look at it this way, if he hadn't of done such a s**t job first time around, you probably wouldn't have half the ability you now have :) still it's a very expensive lesson in mechanics!
Haha yes it is very true and I am kind of grateful for that, I should of done is myself in the firstplace and saved over £40K haha... at least I can laugh about it now I don't have that kind of money anymore
Stunning James, looks like a totally different car from the one I saw at Llandow many months ago!
Thanks Jamie, Yes is has slowly developed since Llandow and then more changes over winter! Hopefully will make it to another Llandow day this year just can't make the August one unfortunately :(

Cadwell

Got 5 days until the entries for the race at Cadwell close, I need to have the engine running and compression test it in the next 5 days just so I know the basics are okay and then I have 2 weeks to shake it down and test/learn round Cadwell. It's going to be very tight as I've just got Sunday and Monday to get it finished including gear linkage bar, Connectors on the loom and Mapping! Fingers crossed otherwise it will be another delay which would be a shame! I'll do an update next Wednesday if I've got it running and entered the race.

Good luck James, looks like you will be doing a lot of bedding in. Cant remember if your car is road legal or not? Cadwell is a brilliant track its one of my favs and is fairly easy to learn imo
Thanks mate, Really excited to drive it again! No its not mate, too many expensive wearable components to use on the road unfortunately such as rose joints, dampers etc that just aren't really designed for road use :( Yes i'm really looking forward to it actually, I always enjoy learning new tracks.
Cadwell is good! though if things don't work out there's always the next race.
Yes the other option if I do miss the Cadwell entry for CSCC is to see if French Trophy would let me do a late entry for Brands
You could compression test without the loom. I've done it with the engine out and a set of jump leads plus a bit of wire for the solenoid.
Thats a good idea actually thanks I hadn't thought of that! I'll try and get the connectors done Monday and then can fire it up :)

The car finally runs!!

Finished off the connectors today and then have been struggling with what seems to be a slightly ill battery but then the car fired into life only for about 4 seconds before dying but still good to hear it run after all this time :) I had to load a base map up for a 172 with ITB's just to get it going as my other map was no use. The base map isn't for engines with cams which is why its reluctant to start I guess. Now its time to get it mapped and tidy a few bits up and its ready to go :)

Very happy!

Yes it really does! Doing the wiring has really dragged on as its so time consuming and then to finally finish it and test all the buttons and fire up the car is amazing. The car has run a few more times now :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
WOW this car is a real credit to you mate... On the positive side I bet you could build one from scratch for a fraction if the price and probably have people queuing for them..

Where the funk do you get 40k from?

I know getting a shell painted & powdercoating is expensive - and looms aren't cheap. But no way would it cost £40k to build a car of this spec if it's all planned and budgeted up front!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Where the funk do you get 40k from?

I know getting a shell painted & powdercoating is expensive - and looms aren't cheap. But no way would it cost £40k to build a car of this spec if it's all planned and budgeted up front!

I bet to differ, in fact I suspect that 40K might be conservative but Im sure James (as he LOVES a spreadsheet) will be along at some point with an ballpark actual figure it would cost for him to build someone one to the same spec including a sensible amount for his labour (seeing as the suggestion from kangoo was for him to build them for others)

Oh see your point lol

I always forget labour costs.
He could always cut some corners though - use some cable ties, jam some copper house pipe in the cooling system, bodge the existing wiring together. That'd save time ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh see your point lol

I always forget labour costs.
He could always cut some corners though - use some cable ties, jam some copper house pipe in the cooling system, bodge the existing wiring together. That'd save time ;)

although seemingly NOT save money judging by the amount others charge to do that...

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Lol thought the 40k was the figure due to the problems James el encountered! Reckon he might do it for 39k ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol thought the 40k was the figure due to the problems James el encountered! Reckon he might do it for 39k ;)

There is a LOT of money in parts in this car too mate, it might be a modest spec engine, but lots of other spending, although plenty you could trim back like the dash/logger etc as its not actually needed just a nice to have.