ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Hi James
I know its now officially a "race car" (well soon :rasp: ) but did you try REIS for insurance ? as I only pay £300 fully comp ,just a thought.

Have you decided on your race livery yet ?

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

There comes a point where getting it through the MOT is a limiting factor doesn't there

And I know what you mean about driving them - on a motorway mine makes me go deaf after 30 minutes. It's awesome if you go for a full on blast but that will lose my license pretty quickly and uneven roads with negative camber is scary lol

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Yeah I agree they are a pain on the road, but its extra time in the car for me as using it a few times a year on track is to much cash tied up in it not to use it.

Hi James
I know its now officially a "race car" (well soon :rasp: ) but did you try REIS for insurance ? as I only pay £300 fully comp ,just a thought.

Have you decided on your race livery yet ?
I can't say I have really but I just think in the event of ever having to claim that they wouldn't pay out anyway due to it having a dodgy MOT so thought it wasn't worth the risk :(

Not going for a livery as such just going to go with the Matt grey wrap and then Sprayshack are sponsoring the car so they are going to have a painted bonnet with their details on which will match with the colour scheme :) Just then going to have the stickers that I need on the rest of the car along with a sunstrip and maybe a Clio R3 style orange stripe but will have a play on the vinyl machine with my graphics guy nearer the time :D
There comes a point where getting it through the MOT is a limiting factor doesn't there

And I know what you mean about driving them - on a motorway mine makes me go deaf after 30 minutes. It's awesome if you go for a full on blast but that will lose my license pretty quickly and uneven roads with negative camber is scary lol
Yes it was mainly because if the police were to pull me over then they could have a field day with me so it just wasn't stacking upto be worth the risk! As you say it also means to get a legal MOT we would need to put more weight in the car which would also cost more money to do like a horn etc. It's also too hard to go even at the speed limit on most roads lol so just impractical unfortunately!

182cup & 172 racecar

Just forget it, it´s a race car and that´s it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

I haven't forgotten btw....
will send you an email maybe tomorrow evening / early part of this week

sorry i have been quiet..

No worries at all Neil :D Thanks, Hope your well! Keep up the good work on the car I'm looking forward to seeing it at some point :)

ARDS Test and Brands Trackday:

On Tuesday I went up to Teeside Autodrome for my ARDS test. They have a really good setup and when you arrive they give you the medical, take passport photos for the application and then you watch the DVD, ask any questions, do the written test and then go out and get circuit instruction before completing the required laps to do the practical part of the test. Luckily I passed both parts, I got 100% in the written section and got all A's in my practical part so was quite chuffed! There was a real mix of people there for the ARDS ranging from young to old and also one person who has never even driven on a track before.

I sent off my licence forms on Wednesday, Got confirmation yesterday by the MSA to say they had received my application and got another today to say it has been sent out so a very impressive system that the MSA seem to have in place.

I have spoken with TDF and the car sounds like it is pretty much ready for me collecting it on Monday en-route to Brands for the Tuesday Trackday. I have got a full days tuition booked with my instructor which I am looking forward to. It will be my first time driving at the Brands so I am slightly nervous seen as how I am entering my first race here in roughly one months time. The trackday on Tuesday will be the last time that the car is out before the first race so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

In all honesty I am dreading Monday and Tuesday for some reason, I think it is because of what happened last time out at Anglesey and also that this time I am having to go down by myself with no track support by TDF and also none of my friends are available to help out. It's things like trying to load/ unload the trailer on my own, couple the trailer to the car on my own in the dark etc. I just think it will be difficult to run the whole car for the day by myself which will be totally new to me as I have always at least had a someone helping but anyway I'm sure I will manage :). If anyone local wants to help out i'm sure some beer money could be arranged ;)

I will do a write up once the day is over and try and keep it abit shorter than the last few as they must be getting boring lol!

Thanks for reading,
James

Evo 5 RS

Only way to learn fella, you'll be fine...it's normal to have jitters!

Good luck with it all the car does look great, and well done on the ARDS test, I think you had all the gremlins at Anglesey buy the sounds of things, fingers crossed, hope to see you run at Harewood if you do the hill climb this year may be running myself in the rd going class.

Regards Russ.......

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

August is the plan Russ.

Pity Brands is that far as I am off mon-tue hmmn let me think it over as I may be able to help out James.

Trafic 140dci

Good luck a brands mate, you'll be fine :) Next time your fairly close to me and it's a weekend i'll try and make it to come watch :)

Thanks for all the comments :)

Yes Russ I will see you at Harewood :D

Let me know if you fancy it Colin :) I will drop you a PM in a second ;)

Thanks Lewis I will probably be doing Snett later in the year so hopefully we can sort something out!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Best wishes for Brands, mate. I'm sure you'll do great. Above all... ENJOY it! After so much expense and time it owes you some edge-of-the-seat thrills! Keep us updated... :D

Best wishes for Brands, mate. I'm sure you'll do great. Above all... ENJOY it! After so much expense and time it owes you some edge-of-the-seat thrills! Keep us updated... :D
Thanks mate :) Yes I need to start driving it more really as I hate piling money into it and only using it once a month but I suppose the more I use it the more it'll cost lol!

You'll be fine, big strapping lad as you are.!

Just allow plenty of time, I always get every thing ready the day before so just have to get in and drive at 4am...

Have fun, well done on your ARDS.

Clio 172

Well done on the test James your now a proper race car driver. I wasn't able to book Brands in the end due to the cost of buying new tyres and getting my wheels powder coated this month it was just too much expense in the end. I still aim to get to see you on track its just when more than if. All the best for Tuesday and I'm sure you'll have a good write up on here afterwards.

You'll be fine, big strapping lad as you are.!

Just allow plenty of time, I always get every thing ready the day before so just have to get in and drive at 4am...

Have fun, well done on your ARDS.
Yes hopefully Pete although one of my friends has managed to get day off work so luckily got some one to help me on/ off the trailer :)

Yes I started to get everything ready last night and was up until 3.30am doing so but hopefully now it's all organised!
Well done on the test James your now a proper race car driver. I wasn't able to book Brands in the end due to the cost of buying new tyres and getting my wheels powder coated this month it was just too much expense in the end. I still aim to get to see you on track its just when more than if. All the best for Tuesday and I'm sure you'll have a good write up on here afterwards.
Thanks Andrew, No worries yes it all adds up so easily :( Perfect well I am sure we will get something sorted over summer, Thanks again!

BMW Z4

Thanks mate :) Yes I need to start driving it more really as I hate piling money into it and only using it once a month but I suppose the more I use it the more it'll cost lol!

I reached the point with mine where I didn't want to spend anymore on it but now that has gone and I just want to develop it more, get my NAT A and look at endurance or Brit production champs. I love the longer race format myself.

182cup & 172 racecar

I think that´s agreed now, you get to a point where you just have to say enough is enough, then get out there and drive it.

Too many cars stuck in garages atm, with lame excuses about this and that.

I reached the point with mine where I didn't want to spend anymore on it but now that has gone and I just want to develop it more, get my NAT A and look at endurance or Brit production champs. I love the longer race format myself.
Yes I can understand that Mark and you seem to have jumped in the car and been quick from the start, I think for me it will take a lot longer to get upto speed so I don't really need to do anymore development until I have got myself upto good speed and when the only way I can go faster or become more competitive is when I need to upgrade the car. I highly doubt that will be anytime this season or most of next if i'm realistic but its a learning game for me and i'm looking forward to seeing how I progress!

Long term it sounds like we have similar plans but I think I will be following a few years later when I see how I get on ;)
I think that´s agreed now, you get to a point where you just have to say enough is enough, then get out there and drive it.

Too many cars stuck in garages atm, with lame excuses about this and that.
I can't wait to get racing now
:race:

182cup & 172 racecar

Just don´t get in my way;)

Brands Hatch Trackday:

So Tuesday saw us venturing to Brands Hatch for a track day in preparation for the first race there on the 7th May with the CSCC Tin Tops. I started out on Monday morning heading down towards TDF and en-route had to collect the Timing transponder from Tamworth, a trailer part from BJT Daventry and a couple of bits from GPR Silverstone. I got to TDF at about 2ish and had a good look round the car. As always the TDF boys gave great hospitality and made me feel very welcome. As per usual when I'm down at the workshop I try to give a helping hand although this does always slow them down so thanks for taking the time to explain everything to me. We then got the car on the dyno just because Matt wanted to give it a run and make sure everything was okay as we can't now drive it on the road. Everything was fine and I have put a video at the bottom from when it was on the dyno. We then packed the car onto the trailer and we headed down to the pub for a bite to eat which was very nice and was good to have a chat with Matt and Al as it always is. They both really are top guys and can't thank them enough for everything.

After our trip for dinner, I headed off down towards Brands Hatch and collected a friend who was going to help out. Managed to choose what seemed like a safe parking spot to leave the car and trailer for the night and then proceeded to bed. We stayed at Premier Inn at Swanley (10 mins from circuit) it was a great place to stop for the night and at £38 we couldn't grumble.

Got to Brands at 7.30 to be greeted by a very busy Paddock which was a shame as I was hoping to get a garage but anyway serves me right for been stingy and not reserving one. Went to meet up with my instructor Howard Hunt who was going to be with me for the day and proceeded to briefing. We then had to do the mandatory sighting laps and then we were good to go. Started off by doing a few laps just to warm the car up and to get a feel for the track as I had never driven here before. On the third lap coming into Graham hill bend we had the PAS fail again. We came straight into the pits and I was expecting to see similar to Anglesey with a flood of fluid everywhere but it hadn't. I checked the tank and it was still full although some had escaped from the breather. I called Matt who said unfortunalty some debris from the old pump must of got stuck in the rack valve and causing it to happen. He told me to go around the paddock and get plenty of lock to lock and try to free it and sure enough this worked. We went back out but it became an intermittent problem. PAS lasted a couple of corners and then failed for a few and then came back so it was a handful to drive. It then started to become better and last a few laps and gradually lasted longer and longer. After about 15 minutes we came in to check on the tyre presures etc when my friend noticed a small few drops of PAS fluid in front of the front wheel. This is where the breather had been blowing some out. I took the wheel off to mop it up and was greeted by a wheel arch full of grease. It became apparent that we had an issue with the CV joint although this was the one that was only changed 3 hours (Track hours) before. My total mechanical noobness showed through and I didn't have a clue what I was doing but got stuck in and after about 30 minutes of cleaning up I found a hole in the CV boot which had visibly been caused by a manufacturing defect in the boot upon very close inspection. At this point yet again I thought it was game over just when it seemed that the PAS issue was manageable. Matt called me up and suggested some race tape and try to cover the hole, unfortunately I didn't have any but a team with a radical gave me some very kindly so I stripped down the NSF to gain access. This involved calliper and disc off which doesn't sound much but I really am useless with mechanics lol. I then managed to get the hole covered over with tape and then secured it in place with cable ties to ensure it didn't come flying off. After sending a photo of my repair (Which i'm really proud of :eek:) to Matt for his approval, I put everything back together and then went for a drive round the paddock to try everything out.

We then went back out on circuit and finally everything started to come together, the circuit was dry and when we where out there was not too much traffic. MSV were running the day and apart from some dodgy blue flag/lights the day was run faultlessly and I can only think of one reflag all day (Caused by me but I will get onto that ;)) I spent the rest of the day working with Howard and trying out different things to compare between his way and what I thought was right. We also did some comparisons between what gear to be in at what corner. I would highly recommend Howard and the amount I learnt in the day was incredible.

Later on in the afternoon we were coming around clear ways and coming onto the straight I went to get fourth gear and nothing, all I could hear was a scraping noise. The nut had worked itself loose from the side of the linkage and caused the linkage to drag on the floor. I managed to coast up the main straight and around paddock to pull in on the right behind the barrier where they could recover me safely from. Unfortnualty they had to throw a red flag to recover us but they waited for about 30-40 minutes to see if any other would happened to kill two birds with one stone. Once back in the paddock I managed to fix the problem in a few minutes and got us back out for the final 30 minutes.

Overall it was a slightly stressful day with a few problems that I would rather not of had. I have got to look at the positives though and that is that we got plenty of track time in the end, I know the circuit fairly well, we managed to do a race distance simulation and I got some fairly consistent lap times in. There is more speed to come and I just need to follow the advice that my instructor has given me which sometimes on the day I wasn't doing for some reason :S! I had great fun once the problems were sorted and I LOVE the circuit. I met a couple of clio owners also which was great and had a decent chat, I think one guy said he was on here :)

I have got a few photo's and videos below and now the car is tucked up at my house for the next few weeks before a trip to TDF en-route to first race to get the problems from the day sorted. The car got a good clean today and the set of OZ wheels have been sent off with my trim's to Sprayshack to be painted Orange which I can't wait to see. A new set of R888's have been ordered for the first race and I sent off the entry form this evening so all set to go :)

Thanks for reading as always and sorry if there are lots of mistakes above but I am shattered and ready for bed lol :)

James

cc95cf8e.jpg

807757be.jpg

c448b2a8.jpg

fae864d3.jpg

650d50c2.jpg

6a461a4c.jpg

b2eb4b5a.jpg

c4c2e74a.jpg

542d4ef2.jpg

3e1b1feb.jpg

bf45aa26.jpg

47e0fbde.jpg

5a8b819e.jpg

29154cf7.jpg

ca4c9d5f.jpg

37edb866.jpg

38c2035e.jpg

a0c9f6bb.jpg

a5596de8.jpg

d01ac725.jpg

e44b39af.jpg

ce5c2761.jpg

1486c34c.jpg

705e25e3.jpg

08e423c0.jpg

84eb4385.jpg

d3243dd7.jpg

e7c71225.jpg

c2d14059.jpg

32f65317.jpg

20ad69ba.jpg

46c069ca.jpg

8c8b360e.jpg

4dad16a1.jpg

Straps laid out to dry after wet journey home
e8115019.jpg

Tyres definitely ready for a change
7168daec.jpg

1c7e4a70.jpg

eae53521.jpg

da807011.jpg

81271ce5.jpg

Unfortunately damaged the wrap when taking the number plates off but it will get covered by stickers anyway :)
306b036e.jpg

[video=youtube_share;X4aqF498MZM]http://youtu.be/X4aqF498MZM[/video]
[video=youtube_share;UJX-ruw-Qhg]http://youtu.be/UJX-ruw-Qhg[/video]

Last edited:
  Trafic 140dci

Looks awesome on the dyno pictures and the orange wheels suit it so well. It's a shame about the problems but you done well to get over them on the day, Which is what you need to be able to do :)

What power steering header is that? Also how do you find the sabelt seat for comfort? I'm in desperate need of a more comfy seat with Nurburgring in a few months.

Evo 5 RS

10/10 for effort ;)

Shame about the boot and PAS but least you managed to get some good time in. Car looks great

172, Tiguan

Fabulous car. Enjoy reading the updates as well. Thank you.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Nice one, mate - thanks for the update. As you say it sounded a bit stressful at times but the good thing is that you are taking the positives from the experience. And your mechanical skills will be coming on no end! :D Great pics and videos, too. And so it has begun...

182cup & 172 racecar

Did Howard tell you to use 3rd for paddock? Has he driven a Clio?

Car's looking great, what is the little black box on the bonnet for?

182cup & 172 racecar

See one of our rivals have a sneaky test.

e44b39af.jpg

Glad you got some time out with it this time - you really don't have much luck do you?

I've done track days for 2 years with the clio without a single fault - I must be really lucky

Hope it's all behind you now :)

phew, what a day.....got it together and turned it around, nice one. Jogged me into getting my Brands application off.

PH1 172 (Track Car)

Thats a fair amount of bad luck you've had recently. However, you certainly do seem to treat the glass as if its half full rather than half empty - good man! :)

Just out of interest why do you run with your windscreen wiper vertically rather than down? Can't help thinking that that would annoy me.