ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Sorry to hear you didn't make it the other day! You should come it will be a good day and I'm hoping it will go dramatically better than Anglesey did lol! I have got my instructor booked for the day so I am hoping it will be a decent day and I can make some good pace as it will be my first and only time round Brands before the race in May! Thanks for the offer I would appreciate that :)

220 Trophy
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I’m coincidentally seeing my track-buddy this afternoon so will have a chat with him and see when he can next get out…. I might end up doing both. I’ve got to test all the go-faster orange bits!!

Golf GTD Mk7
23_work-shoes-1e.jpg

Lol

I’m coincidentally seeing my track-buddy this afternoon so will have a chat with him and see when he can next get out…. I might end up doing both. I’ve got to test all the go-faster orange bits!!
Sounds good Mark, Let me know what you end up doing

Of course you do! I'm expecting a good 2 seconds a lap quicker now that its all painted ;) Talking of painting I got some black hammerite gloss the other day to smarten up my rusty rear beam :)

220 Trophy

Will be in touch. Definitely more than 2 seconds – it’s orange after all!! If you’ve not painted it yet, why not go for a mad colour instead?

Haha my bad yes more like 3 seconds ;)

I did think about a mad colour but if I was going to do that then I would want to do it properly, strip it down and powder coat like you had done. At the moment though I can't justify spending that money on painting it for the race car if it was my road car or track car then I would do it but unfortunately mine will end up in gravel traps and I would be scared of it chipping so just going to stick with the hammerite that I can keep re-doing myself for less than a fiver :) The budget is unfortunately getting tight for this year so I am having to keep a close eye on costs and focus the money on using it and enjoying myself :)

220 Trophy

I meant a mad hammerite colour, someone on here had cleaned their beam up and painted it yellow hammerite, looked like they’d done a really good job.

Sent off all the CSCC club membership and car registration paperwork today thanks to Jay for reminding me about that :eek: It feels like its getting closer and closer :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Sent off all the CSCC club membership and car registration paperwork today thanks to Jay for reminding me about that :eek: It feels like its getting closer and closer :)

Was wondering when you going to get around to that.

I filled them in weeks ago, put them in my clio folder and then totally forgot :eek: Serves me right for trying to be organised by putting things away!

BMW Z4

Mmm,40 min race without pas, no thanks.

Yeh I might end up eating my words here LOL and have arms like Popeye. I like the leccy solutions but they are a lot of doh to be honest.

Schma Schme 1.6l

Must say, car does look mint. Like the matt paint work, its like blank canvas ready to be filled in with other peoples paint work.........COMIN THRU.....

Thank you very much :) Yes it is pretty plain at the moment but I think by the time it has all the stickers on it it will be looking better! Hopefully not too much of others paintwork ;)

Clio 172

PAS pump has arrived at TDF so it won't be long and then it will all be sorted once again
smiley1.gif
Can't wait for Brands on the 3rd April and get some more time in the car!

How much is this day James? I am on holiday that week so may come down.

My excel document of costs says £199 but it's not always accurate lol :) It's with msv direct so should be a decent day!

Mini Update:

Just booked a hotel for the night before Brands and I'm collecting the car from TDF on the Monday afternoon en-route to Brands for the Tuesday morning. Confirmed with my instructor for that day and also for the ARDS next Tuesday. Also spoke with CSCC to get the entry form for Brands as they haven't loaded it up onto the website yet, even though as Jay kindly pointed out I can't send this in until I have got my licence number :dapprove:.

Still need to sort out the tyre fiasco for the trailer as we are left with a real mumbo jumbo of good/bad tyres from Anglesey. Kindly Al @ TDF has offered to do some investigating and swap some tyres around to see what is punctured etc and then we can order the relevant tyres/wheels to make sure I have a correct spare for future.

I am trying in my spare time to sort out the stickers for the car i.e. name on car, few sponsors and numbers etc. I think I am going with a black sunstrip although Matt grey, Orange and white were also considered but I though just keep it plain and let it do its job. If anyone is decent at photoshop and fancies knocking up some examples of the sunstrip it would be appreciated :) Also if anyone has an opinion on the colour then please let me know!

My website guy has nearly finished the website so I now need to send over text/pictures and then I think that should fill all my spare time between now and the first race on the 7th May :D

That does look very nice and Black is definitely what i'm leaning towards :)

Your car looks awesome in that photo :cool:

220 Trophy

James, I’ve just booked the 3rd at Brands, so see you there!!

Perfect Mark, I will finally get to meet you and have a look around your car properly :) My plan is to get there early and hopefully get a garage as I haven't reserved one

220 Trophy

Likewise James. Ok, I’ll look out for you when I arrive. Looking forward to it already!

Decision was made today for the car to loose it's road going status, The MOT is due on Wednesday and although I could probably could get it passed then it's not a great idea as it doesn't have reverse light, horn and a load of other things required to get an MOT. So I will get a refund on the tax and insurance and then just not be able to drive it on the roads. I drove it the other weekend for about 60 miles on the roads and while being an absolute hoot on the freshly resurfaced a-roads it was abysmal on anything as is expected with a race car I suppose. It would of just been handy to be able to tootle up and down the road to test bits and bob's out but not worth nearly 1k a year for the privilege by any means!

PH1 172 (Track Car)

Decision was made today for the car to loose it's road going status, The MOT is due on Wednesday and although I could probably could get it passed then it's not a great idea as it doesn't have reverse light, horn and a load of other things required to get an MOT. So I will get a refund on the tax and insurance and then just not be able to drive it on the roads. I drove it the other weekend for about 60 miles on the roads and while being an absolute hoot on the freshly resurfaced a-roads it was abysmal on anything as is expected with a race car I suppose. It would of just been handy to be able to tootle up and down the road to test bits and bob's out but not worth nearly 1k a year for the privilege by any means!

I would say that's a good call.

A lot of money (mot, tax, insurance etc) in order to just use it once in a blue moon for testing something! Serious track/race cars belong off the road IMO.

172 Race Car

Finaly the man sees sense

I would say that's a good call.

A lot of money (mot, tax, insurance etc) in order to just use it once in a blue moon for testing something! Serious track/race cars belong off the road IMO.
Yes it just was stacking up to be a very expensive way to scrub tyres in and check bit's and bob's I also realised that I live on a private road and don't need to have a road legal car to be able to go up and down so I can still do 5mph testing :D
Finaly the man sees sense
Haha :rasp:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

proper circuit racer now then,
as you say, handy to test stuff hence why i will keep mine road-legal...plus hill climbs are rarely perfect tarmac

220 Trophy

Perfect Mark, I will finally get to meet you and have a look around your car properly :) My plan is to get there early and hopefully get a garage as I haven't reserved one
James, sod’s law I can’t now make the 3rd due to work commitments, next day out (hopefully!!) will be April 24th at Brands. Frustrating as I also had to cancel my last day which was March 15th. Never mind hey.

proper circuit racer now then,
as you say, handy to test stuff hence why i will keep mine road-legal...plus hill climbs are rarely perfect tarmac
Yes it seems so :) it was just for the cost I could do another few test days or another race so for me it didn't really add up unfortunately. My other half lives next door to an old airfield that they use for driver training so if I ever need to test any bits out then I can always tow it there and then have a play so its not the end of the world :) I think for hill climbs mine would be quite good in it's current setup as it still has quite a bit of compliancy in suspension. I am hoping to do one in summertime at Harewood and see how it goes!
James, sod’s law I can’t now make the 3rd due to work commitments, next day out (hopefully!!) will be April 24th at Brands. Frustrating as I also had to cancel my last day which was March 15th. Never mind hey.
That's a shame Mark, I hope MSV let you change the date so you don't loose out if you had already booked it!

220 Trophy

Thanks James, yes I have a credit for the full amount and will get the 24th booked ASAP. Bloody work hey, gets in the way of the Gentleman-Racer lifestyle!!

Good stuff Mark :) Haha tell me about it but without it we wouldn't have any money to play in the first place :dapprove:

220 Trophy

Good stuff Mark :) Haha tell me about it but without it we wouldn't have any money to play in the first place :dapprove:
Unfortunately you’re right. Although I’ve got 4 lucky-dips for this Saturday - if I win I’ll treat you to that Polycarb rear window!!

Haha good luck :)! I'll hold you to that but what about our Porsche/Ferrari challenge car we discussed :rasp:

220 Trophy

….It just depends on how much I win, if it’s a couple of hundred grand I’ll finish the Clio off, get a Q5 and the new Boxster S and put the rest on the house. If it’s millions then definitely the Mexico Blue RSR and tour around the European tracks …and a rear window for you!

Evo 5 RS

Good call taking it off the road really, you've got the trailer and all the gear - just for the sake of testing it's hardly worth the cash to keep it legal

….It just depends on how much I win, if it’s a couple of hundred grand I’ll finish the Clio off, get a Q5 and the new Boxster S and put the rest on the house. If it’s millions then definitely the Mexico Blue RSR and tour around the European tracks …and a rear window for you!
Haha sounds like a plan Mark :cool: I will be expecting a rear window though even if you only win a few hundred grand ;)
Good call taking it off the road really, you've got the trailer and all the gear - just for the sake of testing it's hardly worth the cash to keep it legal
Yeah its true but I was thinking today while driving that I really want a fun car for the road but anyway mine is a bit hardcore to be fun on the road so I will just stick to diesel on the roads and clio for tracks :)