ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 182 Track Toy...

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Sooooo, after about a month of looking at 182's that weren't up to scratch I finally found one I liked. Load of history and been looked after. loved the seats too ;)

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4337.jpg

The master plan!
Interior: Stripped, keep the current seats? cage and harness.
Suspension: BC Racing Coilovers & Top Mounts, Whiteline RARB (both on the way). Bushes will probably get replaced too.
Brakes: HC Disks, DS2500 pads and race break fluid
Wheels: 2118's in Anthracite wrapped in Toyo R888's.

This is my first track build so if you see anything wrong do tell me. (point and laugh at the same time if you want ;)).

This is a great forum by the way! Its nice to find one you can ask questions on and not get slated for asking for advice.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Seems a shame to mod it..looks a lovely :up:. If you are going to mod it, make it light,..sell the heavy seats...your have more money for mods :smilingimp:

Car looks great, if fitting a cage then get 1 x lightweight fixed back seat to compensate for the additional weight of the cage. As above the current seats will fund a good chunk of the mods above. Oh and ditch the DS2500 and go Carbone Lorraine.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
thanks for the advice! will be dragging the seats out tomorrow to give it a deep clean and begin stripping. was planning on getting the suspension/tyres/brakes done then get it out on the track and do the rest bit by bit.

Tyres and brakes and it will be ready for track work as long as the suspension is in good working order, cup or non cup these handle great out the box.

Here's mine on just r888s and fatty induction kit. Brakes are OE. Surprising how capable they are even in the hands of a novice.

great video. might have to invest in a gopro. i might order myslef the tyres now and book a day :up:
Its just an iPhone 5 that mate. Just got a SJCAM SJ4000 wifi which is brilliant for the money compared to the gopro..£50 vs £££'s. Also you don't even nedd to buy new R888's, get part worns of ebay for half the price, they last ages on a light Clio.

That looks a cracking example and quite rare to have those seats.... as said above though, they will be worth very good money should you sell. The 2118's are a great choice btw, sooo tempted with a set for mine. But then there's Turini's. Choices choices!!

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Its just an iPhone 5 that mate. Just got a SJCAM SJ4000 wifi which is brilliant for the money compared to the gopro..£50 vs £££'s. Also you don't even nedd to buy new R888's, get part worns of ebay for half the price, they last ages on a light Clio.

i thought this, but putting old r888's on brand new 2118's just seems... wrong

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Managed to spend a day on the car. Got it off its feet and took the seats out and yeah they are pretty heavy so will be looking to replace them in the future. Got all of the trim and carpet out that I wanted too.

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

Then I discovered the joy of removing sound deadening...

IMG_4343.jpg

Need to look into tidying up the wiring. And how do I get the gearstick surrounding trim off? Couldnt figure out how.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Plans sound good mate. Great effort so far.

If you wanna get shot of the Recaro's il have them off you.

I will let you know. Probably looking to into getting some fixed backs, harness and cage fitted by a professional at the same time as i think its a bit above my skill set.

Teg
For gearstick surround.. Just pull the ashtray out then pull the cup holder out, don't forget to unplug wiring from cigarette lighter, lift up gear stick gaiter as from what I remember there's a big white clip underneath it which secures the surround to the floor... Then just pull the surround off as its only clipped into place.

I tackled these jobs a few weeks ago when I fitted my bucket seats.. What an awful job removing that sound deadening is. I weighed it and it was roughly 6kg that I removed.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Seats are fairly easy to do if you have a decent subframe to work with. The Xlow ones in the group buy are pretty good.

I know a chap who can weld a cage in at a decent price, even made his own cage .

Where in Hampshire are you based ?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
For gearstick surround.. Just pull the ashtray out then pull the cup holder out, don't forget to unplug wiring from cigarette lighter, lift up gear stick gaiter as from what I remember there's a big white clip underneath it which secures the surround to the floor... Then just pull the surround off as its only clipped into place.

I tackled these jobs a few weeks ago when I fitted my bucket seats.. What an awful job removing that sound deadening is. I weighed it and it was roughly 6kg that I removed.

thanks :up: yeah i was surprised how heavy it was. worth it, just a boring ass job

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Mini update, Been on an ordering spree. Bc coilovers, top mounts and the whiteline rarb should be here next week. Also ordered the 2118's in anthracite wrapped in r888's (looking forward to those arriving). Need to order the brake ducts.

Brake parts arrived from RTR. HC disks, ds2500 pads and goodridge lines. While taking everything off decided to paint the calipers. Tried halfords paint which turned out crap its far too runny and wasn't doing the job. So i've put them back on for now and ordered a Follitec kit which is supposed to be a lot better. While taking the rear calipers off i found the rear pads/disks had seen better days so ordered some new oe disks and ds2500 pads for them as well. Still need to do the fluid but didn't see the point until i was happy with all of it. Decided on a black and yellow theme too (brakes/splitter/brake ducts/cage/harness will be yellow the rest black).

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

Been looking into fixed back seats and like the Recaro Pole Positions so might pick up a pair of them with yellow 6 point harness soon. Once that is done I can look into getting a cage and the harness mounted properly. Been looking around and might send the car off to MarkFish for that. Havent spoken to them yet though.

Once the brakes are finished, wheels are on and coilovers installed gonna look into booking myself a couple of track days. Lots more planned.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Just changed the rear break lines whilst led under it with my mouth open. That was a mistake 😂😂😂

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
More progress... Come to the conclusion i hate sound deadening...

IMG_4370.jpg

Painted the splitter too...

IMG_4373.jpg

Front brakes are done, just need to wait for the rear disks to turn up then can do the fluid and go test them. Jumped on the group buy and put my name down for some flat door cards, so need to look into replacing the windows and removing the motor. Anyone point me in the right direction for this?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Bit more done today. Finished installing the new rear disks and pads. I couldnt get the 30mm bolt off that holds the rear disks on so had to buy an impact gun for that. Best thing Ive ever bought. makes everything soo much easier. Need to bleed the breaks tomorrow, think ive got a bit of air in the system changing the lines and everything but wanted to change the fluid anyway so no biggy.

Got the front bumper off. took the acoustic valve out and cut the horn down to one bit and installed some brake ducts which i found on ebay. dont know if they are going to do much but look good and keep in with the colour scheme. need to take the grills off and paint them anthracite as they look really tatty but thats a job for another day. Removed the headlight washers and lines. I bought some blanks off ebay but they where crap to need to find some new ones. Anybody recommend any?

Gotta carry on stripping the interior tomorrow and got a bit more sound deadening to remove. Not decided on the yellow badge yet so that might get redone in anthracite. Waiting on the coilovers and alloys to turn up then can book myself a track day :D

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Bit more done today while waiting for parts to turn up. got the brakes all bled up. took ages. i must of got a fair bit of air into the system when taking the calipers off and changing the lines. anyway got it all out and took it for a spin. took it easy to start with then gave it some hard breaking and got the abs to kick in to make sure everything is working.

hired the mrs to get rid of the sound deadening

IMG_4410.jpg

spend ages stripping and moving the rear loom down the side channels. pic doesnt do it justice but cant see it now. especially when the new rear door cards turn up.

IMG_4413.jpg

also got rid of the rear wiper/motor/lines and installed a carbon fibre blank.

IMG_4409.jpg

also took the ariel off and wiring. looks much better now. need to find a blank for it though.

IMG_4414.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Nice! I've got to remove the tar on mine soon.

The only downside is i'm not sure i'm going to tackle the roof. You see the side bits of tar on the rear quarters behind the foam? That might be a bit tricky too!

What's going on with your rear boot where it looks like a spare wheel bay used to be but its a 182?

edit - errr ma gerrrrddd I have the same thing! I've never ever noticed that before haha

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Nice! I've got to remove the tar on mine soon.

The only downside is i'm not sure i'm going to tackle the roof. You see the side bits of tar on the rear quarters behind the foam? That might be a bit tricky too!

What's going on with your rear boot where it looks like a spare wheel bay used to be but its a 182?

edit - errr ma gerrrrddd I have the same thing! I've never ever noticed that before haha

was gonna say whats wrong, think only the 172's had a rear well. yeah i saw the rear quarter tar cba with that looks like a right pain to get at. ive got to do the roof yet.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Few more odds and sods while waiting for parts to turn up. Omp wheel with momo boss installed, kept it black and yellow too. Also got a yellow tow strap and some carbon fiber washer blanks so need to get the bumper off again and get those on...

IMG_4432.jpg

Fatty induction. Decided to tackle the engine bay over winter. Been looking at some of the ktec performance packages but just raring to get this on the track at the moment.

IMG_4434.jpg

Finished stripping the interior for now. All that's left is the recaros and the full dash at the moment. Got some door cards coming from the group buy but cant decide what to do with the windows for now. And make a decision on the size of cage to go for and figure out if its worth getting one welded in or buying a bolt in one. Decisions, decisions. Anyway DPD turned up today with some goodies...

IMG_4440.jpg

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

Currently talking to someone about changing the bushes, installing the coilovers/rarb, some camber bolts/shims and getting the geo setup for track use. Then i can slap the speelines on and get to a track. :up: