ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 182 Track Toy...

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
following this, great thread! what racing are you hoping to do? any idea of the cost?

Currently looking at the Tin Tops series with CSCC. Off the top of my head it’s £140 to join the CSCC and register the car then around £345 per weekend.

Sounds like a lot but summer track days start getting that high 😅

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Heated screen and poly windows in...

6BE31142-9023-4147-B05D-E8B07C6023DC.jpeg

944886BC-51A5-4A58-B502-F8DB5170B544.jpeg

Also picked up a set of oz f1’s cheap of eBay...

22190CBF-45A6-4EF6-AA54-34E17B22A73D.jpeg

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Right so Combe. Started off really well then had a noisy rear wheel bearing. I didn't have my spares with me so ran down to a local motor factors in Chippenham and got my pants pulled down on a set of mintex rear disks so we changed that. Then still had a lot of vibration, came in and had another look and one of the front tyres was pretty badly warped. Changed that and all good. Setting some decent lap times and getting used to the car again and suddenly found I was under steering a lot. Came back in and found the tyre had shredded. This was turning into an expensive day. ?

IMG_6728.JPG
fullsizeoutput_b45.jpeg
IMG_E6746.JPG
fullsizeoutput_b47.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b46.jpeg

Spec list update:

Engine/Gearbox

Ktec Induction Kit
Pure Motorsport Exhaust and Decat
Pure Motorsport A/C Delete
Pure Motorsport Shifter Kit
Mapped by EFI
Quaife Differential

Suspension/Running Gear

AST 5100 Coilovers
PMS Top mounts & Strut Brace Kit
Installed Whiteline RARB
Full Suspension/Roll Bar/Dog Bone Polybushed
Axle Spacers Behind and Hubcentric Infront
Camber Bolts/Shims
Hub Stud Conversion
2 Sets of 15" 2118's with R888's
1 Set of OZ F1 with Rainsport 3's
Traction Control/ABS/Steering Lock Delete

Brakes

Brembo HC Front Disks
DS1.11 Front Pads
DS2500 Rear Pads
Goodridge Braided Lines
Castrol SRF React Fluid

Exterior

TRS Carbon Fiber Roof Vent
CMComposite Splitter
eBay Brake Ducts
RickyEvans Heated Screen
Plastics4Performance Lexan Windows
CCF Fiberglass Bonnet and Bootlid
TRS FIA Tow Eyes

Interior
Removed Trim/Loom/Sound Deadening/Heater Matrix & Fans
Interior Painted Grey
Dash Top Flocked with CMComposite Dashpod
Sparco Evo LF Buckets
Scroth 6 Point Harness
OMP Steering Wheel/Momo Boss
Full 6 Point Cage by Tom Johnson
Armtech Battery Isolator
Lifeline Extinguisher Kit
Odyseyy 25 Battery
MSA Rain Light
Custom Door Cards

More yet to do ? Want to try and get the engine done this year. Probably the PMS ITB kit/manifold. Need to look into ECU's a bit more as would like to run something like a dash2pro with it. Looks like its going to be a custom loom job. Lightweight flywheel/upgraded clutch and epas might get done before then. Wouldnt mind getting something like the ACS geo kit as well. Looking into racing this year but need to get a few track days for now to get those lap times down. I found the 888's were starting to overheat so ive ordered some DZ03G's to try as heard good things.

Think that's it for now ?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Plans sound great ? You won’t be disappointed with the Dunlop’s...I found them even stickier than the 888’s

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Plans sound great ? You won’t be disappointed with the Dunlop’s...I found them even stickier than the 888’s

Cheers. I found the 888's grippy but after about 10ish laps they would squeal like mad and id start to loose grip and under steer. Checked the temp & pressure and all setup as should be. In the end we overinflated the rears to try and liven up the rear end on turn in. Made the fast chicanes quite fun ?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Where do I start...

IMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7239.JPG
IMG_7240.JPG
IMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7246.JPG
IMG_E7237.JPG

Quali went well. Finished 16th of 33 on the grid and 2nd in class. Halfway through the race lost the back end over paddock. Hit the gravel trap sideways and rolled nearly twice. Ended up on the drivers side and had to climb out the passenger door. Getting the car on the lift Saturday to find out if its terminal damage or not ?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Gutted, saw this on Instagram. Hopefully you get lucky and the shell is “straight” and can get away with just replacing most parts

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Also saw this on Insta but didn’t want to ‘like’ a photo of it. Gutted for you. I think we’ve had our cars about the same amount of time and know how much time, effort and money i’ve spent to get mine to half the standard of your car.

Hope it’s superficial?! Good luck with getting back on track.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Gutted for you! Been there and done that..well... not quite rolling over just backwards into a barrier at Thuxton on tower. not fun.
Had to re shell the engine/subframes and other good parts as my shell was too bent...would of cost too much to repair and even if I did it would have never been 100% fixed. So as I love a Clio I’m now in an odyssey blue one as it was the cheapest option.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Thanks guys. The main concern is the a pillars and the front end. Can’t really tell in the pics but the front drivers side has been pushed down and back. We’ve got to rip off the body panels and find out the damage.

Gearbox seems to select gear but obviously can’t test it yet. Boxes are cheap but trick diffs aren’t.

Engine also won’t turn over. There is literally gravel everywhere so maybe it’s in the way somewhere but we will see.

If the engine and chassis are scrap im going to have to have a serious think about what I’m going to do...

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Don't try and start the engine until you've had it out and cleared every last stone out. When I rolled at Donny I was back there a month later after repairing the car only for the engine to bend a valve in quali because I missed a stone trapped in the cambelt cover which then caused the belt to jump.
When I came through Paddock Hill and saw you on your side my heart sunk for you. Such bad luck on your first race. BUT, I'll see you at Donny! You can do it!

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I’ve got really bad at updating this. So after the disaster at Brands we decided not to give up on the shell and have a go at repairing her. Took the chance to chuck a few upgrades in.

PMS rad to suit ITB’s
Conex Fans/Controller and Lower Thermostat
Forge Coolant Lines
TTV Lightweight Flywheel
Updated Clutch
PMS Lightweight Pulley Setup
New ccf fiberglass bonnet
New heated windscreen.

The engine and box were slightly leaking so had some new seals too. Some pics

9903F0BC-DCEB-43E6-B9BD-FCC26937FED3.jpeg
CCF00372-6AEE-4882-8B8B-50EFF7E34C5C.jpeg
1A0D64DF-813D-4C57-818C-9790241155F7.jpeg
E1DB0806-C383-4B32-B5FE-39FA5C1B2A56.jpeg
D0398894-2466-4333-85CE-093FC471EA1C.jpeg

I’m the spirit of getting back on the horse we booked the next race at Donington and went for it. I hadn’t driven the car since rolling it and hadn’t driven the gp circuit before. Managed to qualify 19th of 37 overall and 4th in class which I was quite happy with.

5698684A-A33F-4403-B077-8DA485DDA042.jpeg
3923267B-0298-40B5-B921-E5246F26225A.jpeg

Got to the race and halfway through the race and the gearbox let go ? so that’s it for racing for this year. Plan at the moment is to get the gearbox sorted and do the epas conversion. Then get straight back it it next year.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Started to sort everything out. Turns out it was the clutch that went bang. Got lucky with that one. Chucked a new Helix in this time.

E751E43D-4BE1-40A7-ABCC-147E7FC1A880.jpeg
DF7900DF-0745-4AA0-9E41-51E06584AA2F.jpeg

Got the epas done aswell. Front brakes had nearly died. So got some new disks and pads aswell. All ready for a trackday at Donny on the 10th.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
So my luck continues. 1.5 track days later and the gearbox sounds like a bag of spanners. So that got ripped out for a rebuild.

8EEEBFC8-6245-473E-97FE-75ADEC120EAB.jpeg

Also took the inlets and throttle body off as they are off for port matching/gas flow. Going to give the group n timing a try.

56DBB599-73EB-42C4-AAEE-AE61AB76A0E9.jpeg

Bought a new trailer aswell. Tiltbed so no heavy ramps to lug about. Has a cover aswell so clio has a new home.

4AFA677E-7320-49F6-AE1A-E0C52D598A7E.jpeg

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Bit of news.

I’ve decided to race in the civic cup with a close friend and another who races in the Porsche championship with the same club that run TCR touring cars and British GT. It’s too good to turn down. So long story short I’m breaking the Clio. Will be putting up a parts list soon.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Good luck for next year in the civic cup! You’ll love it! A good friend of mine did his first season last year and is back again this year so will no doubt see you throughout the year!

Will also keep an eye peeled for parts as and when you list them!