ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blowers not working, Not usual resistor pack? PICTURES,

Yozz'd up 182
Having problems with my heating not working. The CC is showing all buttons and lights and is working as normal.
But no air is not being blown at all.

Tried shorting pins one and 5 on the resistor pack plug but nothing happened. Also wasnt measuring any current on any pins with the current testing screwdriver.

Looked at the 30 amp fuse in the engine bay and checked all of them. all seem to be ok. Was getting a current across both sides of that.

Then looked at this plug but was only registering a current on the top right pin?? is this normal?

IMAG0064.gif

Yozz'd up 182
Done some more reading. And to rule out some other things can anybody tell me how to test the fan by hooking it up directly to the battery?

BMW M135i
If you've got 12v at the fan plug with pins 1+5 shorted on the pwm pack then it'll 99.9% be the fan motor. Whats the resistance of the fan motor itself?

Yozz'd up 182
not sure on exact voltages as the multimeter is broken. i have a screwdriver that you touch to metal and it just shows a lightning bolt if there is a current present.

Did alot of searching and saw you had posted alot on blower problems :)

How would i test the fan by bypassing the resistor pack fuses and relays?

BMW M135i
Get a multimeter (that works ;)) before going any further. Power probe isn't going to help you with this one. £20 at maplins will make this a million times easier.

Shorting pins 1+5 gives 12v direct to the fan with the ignition on.

Yozz'd up 182
Il have a look i think we have another somewhere. With them shorted where do i test the voltage? On that top pin on the plug i have pictured?

Yozz'd up 182
Also sorry if these are n00b questions. I hate electrics. but we all have to start somewhere ha

Yozz'd up 182
Ahhh kk :) Thats the smaller one with just two wires coming out right?

Also just found another multimeter just needs a new 9v battery :) so can test that later.

Thanks for the help.

BMW M135i
Yep their the ones. Decent csa wires on them.

Assuming you get 12v there check the resistance of the motor. If they both check out i'll have to dig out the drawings remind me which relay you need to check.

Remember the ignition needs to be on when you're doing all this.

Yozz'd up 182
Will do. Thanks alot for all the help again :) Dont know what id do without this forum at times.

Yozz'd up 182
Right with pins 1+5 bridged on the resistor pack plug i measured 5.4vs with just the ignition on at the fan plug, 6.4v with the engine running. which i found strange. But it was getting a current.

The battery was reading 14vs across the terminals with the engine running.

I tried attacing the fan directly the battery terminals but nothing happened. fan didnt come on. So this make me think it is the blower motor?

BMW M135i
What did you use to bridge the control pack connector with? Thinking you've probably not got a brilliant connection to end up with 6v odd. The control pack in the negative leg of the fan feed so pin 1 of the motor connector to the battery negative should give 12v.

Whats the resistance of the fan motor?

Last edited:
  Yozz'd up 182
I am measuring the right pins here aren't i? Its the two thick red and black cable that come from under the blower motor and into the plug? and its the two pins those wires are connected to.

Yozz'd up 182
Going to go with the blower motor still i think as no matter how i connected it too the battery it just wouldnt work.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
@mwn11, were's the blower motor? is it that big black box under the scuttle panel? my fan's aint working for a while, so just getting round to sort it before winter now,

Yozz'd up 182
Checked the resistor pack first? its a 5 minute thing? if you look under guides there is a guide there, The blower motor is under the scuttle pannel furtherst
left.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
yee i have tried the resistor pack, sister also has a clio so just switched them over lol, yee though that was it, tah

BMW M135i
Well if you've checked everything else and sure you connected it properly up to 12v then yeh does sound like the motor.

Yozz'd up 182
And the 30 amp fuse in the engine fuse box? If so were in the same boat =[.

Also your sister resitor pack wont work if she doesnt have CC like yours. Best way to check is bridging the pins.

Yozz'd up 182
Well if you've checked everything else and sure you connected it properly up to 12v then yeh does sound like the motor.

Poo! Am i right in thinking a blower motor from a scrappy will work aslong as the donor car has recirc? ie they are not model specific

Yozz'd up 182
Yeah, im getting power at the fan plugs so cant be relay? also hardwiring the fan to the battery is doing nothing =[

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I had a clio is last week for a similar problem, took the relay out of my car put it in the the other car and the blowers started working..

Yozz'd up 182
Right. Its not the motor. Got a new one and it works but the fan still doesnt. The plug to the fan was getting no voltage across it either.

Dont have a yellow relay i have these. Yes i know my fusebox is fucked. Cat D. Great.

IMAG0069.gif

Swapped the two grey relays that arent next to the 3 smaller ones as they had the same rating. no change. so that rules the relay out.

So now what? Im fed up of pissing electrics.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Guess what im in the same boat as you, got a blower/reostat/new controls from scrappy saw them workin, fitted them into mine and nothing, trying multimeter/relays etc tomorrow tho, you had any luck with yours?

Yozz'd up 182
Actually it got sorted today ha! Took it to a garage. Turned out renault loom had broke...

Great. But atleast its sorted now.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
thats great news atleast its sorted now before winter comes, what part of the loom had failed?

If mine doesnt work tomorrow im going to do a bodge job, and stick a switch in so i can turn on of when i want to,