ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

blowing exhaust= how much hp loss

cliosport
Hi guys just asking if anybody knows how much you actually loose from a blowing exhaust?, only reason am asking is i had a bora tdi keeping up with me down a duel carrageway and mines blowing at the cat so could be decat time.

Why are people still shocked with tdi vags keeping up with them?!

dunno , they are good , used to be the bain of my life when i was running the elise , however the vag tdi's have nothing on the 2.0 d cylinder volvo lump i am now driving , it makes a vag tdi feel like a slug !!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ROFFLE

Even the 110hp 1.9 chuck out 235Nm. Clios make 200 on paper ;)

130/150 1.9 will eat it once rolling.

Despite all the thousands of people misquoting carol shelby all over the internet, bhp is actually far more important than torque for acceleration assuming you understand how to use a gearbox and have a reasonable set of ratios to choose from.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hi guys just asking if anybody knows how much you actually loose from a blowing exhaust?, only reason am asking is i had a bora tdi keeping up with me down a duel carrageway and mines blowing at the cat so could be decat time.

You can potentially lose 5% of your power from a blowing exhaust if its fairly bad based on what I have seen on the rollers.

320d
There is something wrong with your Clio if a Bora TDi is keeping up unless it is heavily modified.

I had a run with a C320 CDI and later a C350 CDI in my 182 keeping up until we both backed off at 100 ish and they are near 400 lbft monsters.

I lapped a 172 cup in leon tdi at snetterton ... deduce what you will

And it was only a 130 se ... on a set of 18's .... and a stunned passenger .

And on a wet comb I laped 3 elises and passed a spinning gt3 in a leon 150 fr ....

All of which are utterly true

320d
I lapped a 172 cup in leon tdi at snetterton ... deduce what you will

And it was only a 130 se ... on a set of 18's .... and a stunned passenger .

And on a wet comb I laped 3 elises and passed a spinning gt3 in a leon 150 fr ....

All of which are utterly true

When you add corners though that comes down to skill. You're an experienced circuit driver so I can well believe you can pass an average driver in a Leon TDI.

When you add corners though that comes down to skill. You're an experienced circuit driver so I can well believe you can pass an average driver in a Leon TDI.

It wasn't a look at me post it was more to prove that when people say i nailed a 911 in my clio ,or a tdi kept up with me , its a completely meaningless on most accounts ....

mid range punch on a good tdi will catch a clio napping , and a really torquey one will do more so .... i did this the other night with the wife driving the clio (and trust me shes no slouch on track) and me in front on the volvo , she was annoyed because she had to work to keep up ...

the actually story with the elises and the gt3 , was gt3 driver and a rather accomplished race driver spun his gt3 on a damp patch when i came up behind him on a siting lap cause he had a muppet right foot moment , and the 3 elise drivers came into the paddock and said how much power is your leon cupra r putting out , and then were amazed when i pointed to the tdi badge ...... now to ease their pride in the damp an elise is a tricky little blighter ,and in a fwd car you can take liberties slightly more.

With their pride restored they presented to show me a clean pair of heals in the dry .......

Depends how things start .... look at the 30 to 50 times or the 40 to 70 .... then things get mixed up ...

RB 182 195bhp
It all depends on the gear they are both in, if both are rolling at say 50 or 60, the Clio is in 5th and the tdi is in 5th/ 6th and they both go, then the mid range punch and early turbo boost would make the tdi faster, but if the Clio was in 2nd or 3rd I would be very surprised if the Clio wouldn't pull away in a straight line. It is after all 300kg or more lighter I'd imagine?!

cliosport
Just to sum this tdi vs clio thing it was a slight uphill and the tdi smoked badly so guessing it was an aggresive map, and 3rd at at around 75mph

cliosport
All you've proved is you're a better driver.

A healthy Clio driven by anyone with half a brain should be quicker than said tdi on a dual carriageway.
You never looked on darkside developments ? Its around the corner from me and they have a ibiza with neli 400 bhp and runs 11.993 seconds quarter mile,love to see you smoke it down a duel carrageway :D

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Did someone just say they could keep with 350cdi Merc up to 100. Just fuckinh lol.

That did raise an eyebrow with me .... just on the shifts alone my e280 (same 3.0) was blistering to 100 ....

I seriously dont think people realise how powerful and quick some diesels are.

For reference e350 to 100 is 14.5 evo tested a 182 and got 17.5 .... and you go a long way in 3 seconds above 70

Last edited:
in summary as i said before you beating an e350 to 100 proves they were changing the radio station and opening a boiled sweet while the beads of sweat rolled down your brow ...... they simply were not using the loud pedal to its full extent.

​and think about it ,when is an e350 driver even going to bother trying , he's wafting in comfort ...

oh and his 0-60 time is 6.5 , and his ears aren't bleeding .......

Try a 4.2 tdi a8 .... 60 in 5.6 anyone ... remapped they are mind blowing

And audi should have made a v10 tdi r8 , just because ....

Scirocco GT 210
Back on topic. ;)

The backbox on my old clio 172 decided to break away from the rest of the exhaust system one day, clearly fancied a change of scenery. Apart from being embarrassingly loud it also felt like that the torque had halved. Seriously. Can't really say what it did to the power as I didn't drive it hard with a broken exhaust, but it severely hampered the torque output. Really highlighted the importance of a car's exhaust system.

The rear backbox will have no effect on either in reality or it would be very minimal .... had a manifold cracked I would expect more effect