ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

About time for another update, lots more done. Picked up a different exhaust manifold off someone I knew for cheap...

20111019211723.jpg

20111019211741.jpg

Next job was to mount the intercooler so I could measure what pipes were required. The problem was the top of the chassis where the bolts needed to go is far from flat - so I ended up drilling the holes, then tacking a large washer in place. Shaped some sheet metal to fill the gap and welded the whole thing solid.

20111020180849.jpg

20111020180858.jpg

One side needed a bit more work than the other but got them both finished and solid. Luckily the height of the intercooler worked out perfectly to put a bar underneath for more support. Used some 4mm flat bar, drilled a hole and cut to length, then welded solid at either end..

20111020191617.jpg

20111020192442.jpg

20111020192414.jpg

20111020210308.jpg

From there I could then start to work out how much room had to be made up with hard pipe..

20111020205016.jpg

20111020205035.jpg

20111020210212.jpg

Simply used a bit of steel wire bent to shape to get an idea of angle, then measured it off the car.

20111020205100.jpg

I ended up needing a 70deg bend for the cold side, and a 40deg bend for the hot side. Before I got on with that the next issue arose..

20111020205348.jpg

20111020205343.jpg

Zero clearance on the fluid reservoir with the bigger manifold test fitted, even with the servo/master cylinder moved 40mm over. I decided to stick with it anyway and remote mount the reservoir, more on that later.

I picked up the hard pipes I needed - stuck with 63mm (2.5") pipework throughout with the exception of the throttle body being 70mm and the turbo outlet ~50mm. The intercooler inlet/outlet are 63mm also which was the deciding factor. Hot side...

20111023113413.jpg

20111023113420.jpg

Cold side..

20111023113607.jpg

20111023113613.jpg

20111023113919.jpg

I ended up deciding to keep the HKS filter that came with the engine to get it running as its already got the MAF bolted to it and just a lot less hassle. Turns out it fits behind the headlight pretty well - although I needed to make a metal joiner between them so the recirc could be T'd back in..

20111023120135.jpg

20111023120122.jpg

25mm tube cut to length with the end opened slightly in a press, then tacked on..

20111023120457.jpg

20111023133159.jpg

The same applied for a piece off the cold pipe for the recirc valve, made it a bit longer and positioned it towards the large amount of space behind the headlight..

20111023135141.jpg

20111023135639.jpg

20111023135626.jpg

20111023135747.jpg

Going to be using the ever so common 710N VAG recirc valve for now..

20111023135723.jpg

So that will be piped up once the 25mm silicone arrives. Quickly knocked up two upper radiator brackets that can be bolted on/off to remove the radiator if required..

20111023145212.jpg

20111023145221.jpg

20111023145234.jpg

They need a quick coat of paint but will do the job for now. All three hard pipes are going to have the ends lipped at the weekend when I make the exhaust too.

I needed to get rid of the rubber section in the steering linkage - so made up two 20mm steel spacers, then drilled out the holes on either side of the linkage to 10mm and used an M10 bolt with a decent shoulder so everything was a tight fit...

IMG_7578.jpg

If you didn't see earlier in the thread the rubber was replaced for two reasons - first one being it was literally an inch from the turbo down pipe, and secondly they tend to give the e30 steering lots of 'play'. After that I continued to make the replacement bottom plate for the column itself, so everything would bolt up tight to the bulkhead. I had to notch the brake pedal too as the column has moved that far over - it was cut then the hole plated with 3mm steel and boxed in, so in all its probably stronger than standard..

20111023173617.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

Now that was out of the way and more parts were arriving things could start to be bolted back on. Rear trailing arms and shafts..

IMG_7579.jpg

Then the new rear ARB, bushes and drop links. I ended up going for Eibach adjustables front and rear, as I spotted someone selling a brand new pair including drop links and bushes for half the retail price..

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7588.jpg

The front ARB was an absolute nightmare to do, it would have been much easier off the car. Lots of swearing later and it was fitted..

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

New rear discs..

IMG_7584.jpg

Braided turbo lines with new banjo's and washers..

IMG_7595.jpg

An (expensive) exhaust manifold gasket, hopefully 'do it once do it right' will be the case here..

IMG_7597.jpg

Then fitted the manifold/turbo assembly back to the car for the last time and torqued it onto the head in the correct order. Connected up the turbo lines to the block with new banjo's and washers again..

IMG_7602.jpg

Now for the suspension. I originally was going to buy KW V2s, which were rather pricey at £1200 with adjustable height and damping. I then asked about how soon they could be turned around, to which 4 weeks put me off. I then asked about having them valved and sprung to the weight of the car with the SR20 in, to which they wanted quite a bit of extra cash for. In the end I couldn't justify that much money for such a poor service, as they hardly even seemed interested in helping.

I ended up contacting Gaz, as their suspension is well tested and used on various E30 forums. I was impressed with the service before the BMW anyway from when I had the Clio's rear shocks rebuilt - so I gave them a call. I ended up going with some customized Gaz Golds - Larger bodies and pistons, adjustable height and damping all round, complete coilover rears instead of spring/damper, valved to the way the car is going to be used (track only) and sprung to the weight of the car/engine with it being stripped and having an engine in that's lighter than the original SR20. The best part was I sent my donor hubs off and the coilovers were delivered within a week. Very helpful company and even better being UK based I guess.

I know some people will disagree with the choice, but end of the day they have warranty and I never had a complaint about the shocks on the Clio.

IMG_7605.jpg

IMG_7606.jpg

Fitted them onto the car with the standard top mounts for now, until I decide what I am going to do with those. Not fitted the rears yet as I am waiting for rear top mounts to arrive (hopefully before the weekend).

The last part of the front subframe setup was to fit the E30 arms onto the E36 rack with the gaiters and new track rod ends. After a lot of heat, swearing and effort the old track rod ends were out and new ones in...

IMG_7612.jpg

Everything was then bolted up tight on the steering column and bulkhead, steering linkage clamped onto the splines at either end and tested out. Happy with the clearance and how it turns from lock to lock...

IMG_7615.jpg

Then that's about up to date. I fitted the S15 engine loom earlier and brought it through the standard E30 location. There are no BMW looms on the car anymore, so I am basially just wiring up the bare minimum to make it run, have an indicator and working brake lights for now.

Started to connect up the wires I need for it to run and then left it for the night. Will hopefully get it fired up in the next day or so.

IMG_7629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Can't agree more with you about Gaz's Service. When I had the TVR they made me a custom set which were softer at the rear for near enough the price of a normal set.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
looking good young foxwar.

Whats the plan once the trackday is done - strip down and get the shell dipped once the cage goes in ?

Clio
I keep coming in this thread and reading it thinking awesome work that, then I've got to remind myself I don't understand 98% of it.

Can't agree more with you about Gaz's Service. When I had the TVR they made me a custom set which were softer at the rear for near enough the price of a normal set.

Yeah - I got the complete lot including having different rates and delivery for under £850, cheap really compared to what else is out there for the E30's

Properly f**king mental that, cutting it nice and fine for next Friday aren't we? lol

Just a bit - although from now its only a matter of getting it running and bolting stuff on. Trailering it at the weekend to have the exhaust made, then its just a matter of piping up the brakes and sorting the seat mounts really.

Some long nights ahead I recon! Great progress so far.

Already had a couple of nights that went on past midnight, lol.

looking good young foxwar.

Whats the plan once the trackday is done - strip down and get the shell dipped once the cage goes in ?

Might do another one before Christmas if all does well next Friday, then back apart over Christmas and start sorting the proper stuff..

Was wondering why I haven't heard from you all week. Unbelievable progress. I can't wait to hear it fire up.

Hopefully this evening will see it happen. Just got 3-4 more wires to connect, an earth lead to connect and then turn the key..

Im sure I could make it work yeah! Some other guy was supposed to be sending me one too, but nothings shown up as of yet..

BMW M5 & E36
I've every faith it'll be ready for Oulton our kid, be reeeete.

If all else fails, then we can have a RUR team effort thursday night, lol.

Well I failed at getting it running earlier, got the pump to run mind so Im happy the fuel lines/walbro pump are ok lol.

Got the loom back at home in the kitchen now in an attempt to sort it!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
just read this thread, hats off to you mate! looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

Sunflower Ph1 172
Well I failed at getting it running earlier, got the pump to run mind so Im happy the fuel lines/walbro pump are ok lol.

Got the loom back at home in the kitchen now in an attempt to sort it!

Don't leave it in the kitchen, food 5lag might eat it thinking it's spaghetti.

Mk3 dci
Just booked friday off so im coming to oulton :approve: i'll bring my camera too and get some shots.. You there all day?

What's up with it? Thought you had it ready

No... its current state is how it stands in this threads pictures...

Having a few issues with the wiring now though too, it seems I'm missing part of the loom.

All wired up, ECU gets power, cranks over fine, etc. Although the ECU never triggers the fuel pump relay, so it wont start. Gaz you might know this - on the starter/alternator loom, there are two plugs, do these connect to some sort of chassis/body loom? As I cant see how they connect into the engine loom in any way at all. One of the wires on the connectors is the starter solenoid wire, so obviously if its not plugged in its not going to do anything...

IMG_0580.jpg