ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

Yeah Gaz ive got the S15 manual but those connectors make no sense. Im sure its just the oil pressure/battery light/solenoid wire, but I need to be sure. Maybe it does the knock sensor too but im not sure where it is on these engines..

Tim - nope not as of yet - ECU relay powers on, things turn on in the engine bay, it cranks etc, but the ECU never triggers the fuel pump relay so it wont start :(

Won't be sorted now, got 3 major issues!

- The new suspension isn't right, front wheels rub on suspension (standard brakes/wheels for trial fitting) so they need to go back, sigh.
- ECU is shafted I think, so I picked up another last night, sigh again.
- Exhaust was supposed to be made yesterday but the 3" pipe got f*cked in the bender, so that was scrapped. Downpipe was finished mind.

So basically, there isn't a chance it will even move for Friday. Oh well.

Yeah, probably going to give it a month or so and do a cheap Oulton then on a weekend (possibly 3rd December) so I've got time to get all this sh*te sorted. Il still be there on Friday for the day but just using the trailer for someone else

sorry but I did just give a little lol.

Glad someone laughed, I nearly retyped it but thought nah that can stay, lol. F*cking pisstake the past few days!

Sunflower Ph1 172
Fingers crossed the new ECU gets it fired up! At least now you can take some time with the exhaust too. Any reply from GAZ regarding the suspenion?

Yeah spoke to a few people but not sure what the issue is and how the wheels went on with the standard suspension on, but not the aftermarket. I need to get them off later and double check the offset of them and take some other measurements.

Probably try the ECU later once I've got it back off the trailer and go from there.

Sunflower Ph1 172
Yeah spoke to a few people but not sure what the issue is and how the wheels went on with the standard suspension on, but not the aftermarket. I need to get them off later and double check the offset of them and take some other measurements.

Probably try the ECU later once I've got it back off the trailer and go from there.

Bummer - just be a case of measuring everything then. enjoy.

Get it uploaded...its a masterpiece. You can see it here anyway ;)

There is no downpipe fitted, so tractor noises only im afraid. Turns out the ECU I got with the engine was buggered, the previous wiring diagram I was following was incorrect (http://www.mys15.org/S15_Tech/ecu.htm) which says the fuel pump output on the ECU triggers via 12v. It actually earths after I checked the proper Nissan manual, so I wired it up myself. Putting 12v last time must have shorted it internally. So after 400 miles last night I had another S15 ECU and it started first time. Happy days.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Read your first post thinking oh no :( but glad you've got it fired up now :)

Are the exhaust and suspension still making Friday out of the question?

Im so gutted my laptop has no sound, I love tractor petrol engines!

You never fail to impress even when your failing. ;)

Haha. You'l have to pop down sometime, the garage is only 4 miles down the A6 from Walkden!

Read your first post thinking oh no :( but glad you've got it fired up now :)

Are the exhaust and suspension still making Friday out of the question?

Yeah I've wrote friday off and sold the spot now, there is just too much to sort. Planning on a cheap Oulton I've seen on the 3rd December, even better that its a Saturday.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Nice! great project.

All being built preety quick as well, impressive!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Well done mate, just saw the video on Facebook so thought I'd check out your update on here.

Great feeling when they fire up after lots of effort!

Real shame about the suspension can you not use spacers to stop the wheels touching the shocks?

Phase 1 Clio 172
Nice build thread its coming along nicely

just a question though why a SR20DET the DET must stand for detonate as thats all they seem to do everyone i ahve known ends up blowing up

i would have just spent 400 quid on a 5 series v8 box and loom and put that in tbh

just a question though why a SR20DET the DET must stand for detonate as thats all they seem to do everyone i ahve known ends up blowing up

i would have just spent 400 quid on a 5 series v8 box and loom and put that in tbh

Turbo has more potential than an NA.

Yeah, EVERY SR20DET blows up :rolleyes: Maybe you you should stop talking to people/reading shite from people who have poorly tuned them.

SR20DET is a great engine when looked after and done properly, I've never really heard of them blowing up hence why I got one and decided to do it. Didn't want a lead block of metal like the 5 series v8 ;) This engine + box weighs ALOT less than the 318iS that came out also, never mind something with twice the amount of cylinders.

Chris - I dont like spacers for a start really, and even with 10mm it still rubs on the shock as you'l see in the next update when I get time to write it :(

Bit more of an update. Gained some more tyre stock a few weeks back - 8 x Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in 205/50/15, and 4 more slicks to go with the 4 I already had from the Clio.

20111023194100.jpg

Obviously I didn't make it to Oulton Park last Friday due to various issues, mainly down to suspension. After originally fitting it I never bothered to fit the wheels as I didn't need to move it at the time, but the weekend before Oulton I did. Fitted DS2500s to the rear with refurbished calipers and new discs...

IMG_7624.jpg

It only needed wheels on to be moved now - and as I was taking it to get the exhaust made on the trailer, I went to fit them. Although, the car would hardly move.

It turned out the front wheels were rubbing on the adjuster rings on the front coil overs, so it was pretty tough to get onto a trailer. The rears are spot on, no issues at all and plenty of space. I had some 5mm universal spacers that I thought would sort it for the time being, but once it was up on the ramp it was apparent it needed more than 5mm, well, more than 10mm!

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

And the side with a 10mm spacer..

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7643.jpg

Needless to say I wasn't impressed. The wheels were bolted up with the standard 318iS discs as the new front brakes had not arrived at the time, but that would make no difference anyway. I expected standard wheels to fit at least, considering I have a number of them and I had spec'd the front brakes to fit under them specifically.

After posts on the E30 forum, contact with Gaz and speaking to other people it turns out spacers have to be used on E30's with certain types of coil overs. If I had known this I wouldn't have bothered, as I have always disliked spacers. Even more so, the stud converted front hubs (even with extra long studs) only have enough thread to accommodate a 10mm spacer. Ideally I would want to be running 15mm at a minimum, with a decent amount of thread coming out of the end of the nut. I could run shorter coilover springs (the current are 9" free length), but this would then limit the amount of height adjustment I have - as there is only 1 inch of thread down, and 2 inches of thread up.

Following on from this I have just accepted the fact I am going to have to run spacers, but I only want to do it with single piece studs - none of this bolt the spacer to the hub then the wheel to the spacer b*llocks. Obviously the two new front hubs are now useless/scrap, and I am going to have to start again with them.

I'm waiting on hearing back from a supplier that has been able to source me some ARP wheel studs (from the USA), same fitment with approx 100mm length instead of 60mm. Quite commonly used in a lot of production race cars running up to 50mm spacers it seems - I hope they will work well for me. Once they arrive I can drop a CAD file off at my local machine shop and he will come back with some spacers that are the perfect size for the spigot, 4x100, with a second spigot to locate the wheel in whatever thickness I require. More on that when it gets done.

Considering the messing about that went on with the wheels, the exhaust never got made (another reason why Oulton was cancelled). Although, I managed to get the downpipe finished, which now comes out under the gearbox in the transmission tunnel - pretty much the stock E30 location..

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

20111105173716.jpg

Nice amount of clearance on everything, including the steering linkage..

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7652.jpg

The last job before bolting it up with the gasket is to make a brace from two of the gearbox bolts to take some of the strain off the manifold/turbo - I will probably get that sorted in the next few days.

With the aftermarket exhaust manifold fitted I clearly had an issue with the master cylinder reservouir..

20111020205343.jpg

I wanted to remote mount it to give more space for a heat shield, and to ensure it didn't melt within 30 seconds of running. I spent many evenings reading, but didnt really find anything that would work like I wanted. Many cars use remote reservoirs, more so some 5 and 7 series BMWs. Although, finding parts proved hard and information was pretty scarce.

Most OEM setups are a reservoir with push fit pipes, then the master cylinder has push fit fittings in the seals. Finding the push fit fittings for the master cylinder proved near impossible, not to mention they might not be the right size for the 172 master cylinder (seals) I am going to be using. In the end I drew up some from scratch copying the design of the 172 reservoir, and turned them into fittings.

20111028205634.jpg

20111028205712.jpg

20111028205651.jpg

20111028205727.jpg

20111028205734.jpg

20111028205741.jpg

20111028205819.jpg

20111028205825.jpg

They are a very tight fit in the seal, just as I wanted them to be. The push fit is for an 8mm pipe (as most OEM remote setups seem to be around this) with a small barb on the end. Obviously the 172 reservoir was now useless, as I needed to find one that would fit in the space I had to the top right of the engine bay, and have push fitting pipes. After more searching, I found Mk2 Punto's have a remote reservoir setup. Nipped down to the scrap yard over the weekend and managed to get one...

20111105173817.jpg

20111105173826.jpg

Even better that it has 3 outputs, as the third can be used on my clutch which is a push fit as standard on the E30 anyway.

20111105173840.jpg

As can be seen above, it fits well in the engine bay and just needs a small 90 degree bracket making to support it before plumbing in.

Last bit for now, the front brakes turned up a few days ago. I decided on a custom billet 4pot kit (WMS 4P025) that is commonly used on the E30/E36 through the forums, even better that they were deigned around the standard 15" E30 wheel for competition use. They utilize a 1.38" Piston and 280x22mm VW G60 disc, comparable fitment/size/performance wise to the Wilwood (Billet) Dynalite.

20111108213514.jpg

20111108213533.jpg

20111108213712.jpg

20111108213551.jpg

DS3000's to go in those also. More on them once they are fitted.....

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182
Very impressive :). Love how every single problem doesnt phase you.
Even though most would be pulling their hair out lol.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Are you sure using spacers like that is a smart idea? Sounds like a huge strain on the studs and the hub.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/eibach-pro-spacers/bmw/3-series-e30.html

Something like that would be ideal?

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That's basically what he's having made Tom.

Although why he just doesn't buy them is beyond me. The ones you linked to would work with studs.

Oh right, my bad. Sounded to me like he was sticking huge studs in and putting a bit of metal between the wheel and the hub.

and yes those do work with studs.

Are you sure using spacers like that is a smart idea? Sounds like a huge strain on the studs and the hub.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/eibach-pro-spacers/bmw/3-series-e30.html

Something like that would be ideal?

Well the original reason was 20mm-30mm, and sometimes up to 40mm are ran with single piece ARP studs on BTCC cars and others without issue, which will take 100x more load than I ever will be able to replicate..

img0106jpg.jpg

That's basically what he's having made Tom.

Although why he just doesn't buy them is beyond me. The ones you linked to would work with studs.

Maybe the guy making them can do it cheaper?

Anyway great update Jord!

Yes the Eibach spacers are exactly the same as what I am having made, but I cant really tell from that link if they are single piece (designed for single stud/bolt) or they are ones that bolt to the hub then the wheel bolts to the spacer.

It just seems like its a generic picture that alternates down the whole list of spacers - I didn't want to use spacers where the wheel bolts to it anyway simply because its twice the amount of bolts/nuts to come undone. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on the road but its a bit different on track, id rather have a single piece stud, one piece spacer and 4 nuts.

The thing is, Eibach are wanting ~£100, when I can have the exact same CNC'd from billet for £free. 57.1mm (spigot) center to sit over the hub, 4x100 PCD, 20mm depth, with a 57.1mm spigot protruding 5-7mm from the outer face of the spacer to give something the wheel to locate on - dont see why that wont be fine...