ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

CBR1K, F21 125D
NIce work.

I had a busy 3 hour drive to get some wheels and other bits, and popped down to oulton for lunch, had a long chat with some accord mates and mx5 owners, saw you do one lap slower than my gran could conjur up on her path wagon.
Obviously shaking down, looked good (as all E30s do)

was going to come have a chat but you had your hands and garage full lol and by that time my ear was hurting from becki nagging me she's cold... Sigh.

Did you iron out any niggles must be a nice new list to go through :)

JDM Dc2
IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

NIce work.

I had a busy 3 hour drive to get some wheels and other bits, and popped down to oulton for lunch, had a long chat with some accord mates and mx5 owners, saw you do one lap slower than my gran could conjur up on her path wagon.
Obviously shaking down, looked good (as all E30s do)

was going to come have a chat but you had your hands and garage full lol and by that time my ear was hurting from becki nagging me she's cold... Sigh.

Did you iron out any niggles must be a nice new list to go through :)

Haha a pet dog could have drove a faster lap. It wasn't holding boost, pissing about with it all day, never got a decent session in really! Il update this properly later

Bit of a summary about what happened at Oulton then..

I had the exhaust made on Friday - I wanted it 3inch all the way back and not boomy/loud. Ended up putting a 100cell sports cat (that I already had) up front with a backbox, then just a 3" straight tip. Whole thing was TIG'd, really nice job, happy with the sound too. You can see it in the previous posts.

Arrived at Oulton on the Saturday, all was well. Took it out on the sighting laps and it certainly spins the rear wheels up very easily when the boost comes in (only stock at the moment!). Anyway, after a few laps I started giving it a bit more throttle (plus there was a dry line by this point), but it just didnt want to boost past 4000rpm, it was like the engine didn't want to rev, or the turbo was dropping all the boost.

Everything else felt OK, suspension is really nice, turn in is good despite not even being set up fully yet, brakes are good too. After a lot of messing around with boost pipes, checking if the actuator was OK, running it without a boost controller, running it without a recirc valve, checking all the vacuum hoses, it still didnt want to rev up when put under load. I originally thought it could be fuel (before checking any of that stuff), but ended up thinking it wasn't after testing it at the rail and it seemed to have good pressure. You could rev it up to 7k when stationary, just would not pass around 4000rpm once moving, and it had very little power.

After testing all the above and it making no difference, I decided to remove the pump from the tank and try it in a bucket of fuel. When it was inside the tank it was very loud (high pitched) but I thought that was just how it was (Walbro 255 from an S14a). After running it in the bucket it was silent, which kind of pointed towards this being the problem. I removed the filter from the bottom of the pump and it was full of sh*t - I think it had been sat on the bottom of the tank and the pump was just sucking against the bottom, not getting enough fuel - hence not being able to rev up under load. You could put as much throttle as you wanted on but the revs would not change.

By this point it was nearly 4pm, so I decided to re-fit it into the tank without its filter as a test. Started it up and the pump was near enough silent, engine ran smoother too. Turns out that damn fuel pump was more than likely the cause of the whole days issues. Oh well!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Just caught up reading this and you've already tracked it, good work mate :D

At least the problem was the fuel pump and not the turbo.

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
looks like its gonna be another big thread foxy lol, does it handle as well as the clio used too or better?

looks like its gonna be another big thread foxy lol, does it handle as well as the clio used too or better?

Not driven it anywhere near as hard yet, so can't tell really. The suspension feels a LOT better though, nowhere near as crashy as the FKs were.

Started it a couple of times since Oulton but thats about it, been busy with work and other stuff. Going to tidy the bits up that need to after christmas/new year and get it back out in January for another test day somewhere, hopefully without any fuel pump issues!

Yeah I've read that all over, time will tell I guess. Just need to get hold of a Walbro225 in E30 fitment so the filter is in the correct orientation to replace the S14 one which gave the issues (actual pumps being the same dimensions mind!) and hopefully all will be well to hammer the f*ck out of it next time its out. Its got 5w50 in it, which I also read seems to bring on the rattle too? At the end of the day if it happens it happens, its just an excuse to f*ck it off and fit some cams lol

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Is VVT rattle similar to a dephaser f**king up or is it more serious?

Look forward to the updates next year :)

(un)Related post, finally got round to servicing the Passat I use to tow stuff around with today. New filters/oil/coolant/thermostat/blah and more importantly a turbo stripdown. I keep having limp mode issues under load (common with the TDi apparently on higher milage) - where it will drop all boost and run like an N/A diesel with no power. It had been getting worse over the past 6 months doing it more often - I had already replaced a lot of vacuum piping, boost solenoid, and a few other bits to no avail - the only thing left was the turbo's wastegate system getting jammed.

They use an VNT turbo, not the usual type of wastegate, some over-complicated variable vein effort which tend to clog up with soot (especially over 200k!) and stop moving freely, so the turbo sticks at high boost, the ECU panics and throws it into limp mode. Took the turbo off and split the exh. housing...

fed55b8d.jpg

d91f7c6b.jpg

Plenty of thick baked on soot from the past 11 years/220k miles. A lot of the veins were sticking like f*ck and would hardly move. Stipped it apart and got some pretty strong cleaner on there, which brought it up very well.

538cecbc.jpg

The rest of the turbo seemed well, no play in the bearing etc - you could spin the whole VNT mechanism with the lightest touch once back on - so put it all back together and it should be fine for many years to come. Time for me to get something else after the new year though!

53 Clio's & counting
They tend to still play up unfortunately :( it should be ok for a little bit before it starts again mind - get so many in at work with this issue.

millers aditive is quite good - they have produced one to put off this problem, and it does work well.

Whats next on the list for the beem...niss... 3200sx lol

Yeah well it seems alright for now, hopefully be gone in the first few weeks of January! No doubt itl trip out when I drive it in the next few days lol.

Nah, another Diesel tow car, probably a 320d/330d/A6 2.5tdi or something like that, the Passat has been great but I just need something a bit more than 110hp for towing. It pulls the car/trailer fine but its tedious on long runs. Going to see whats about after the new year!

It'll be high tensile, easily man enough. Looks no bigger than any normal strut bolt on a RWD car.

You have the confidence of a man who's never broken or bent a damper bolt. Note that it's designed to hold a soft road damper, it's now holding up the back of car. You may well be right in your confidence, me, I'd brace it.

325xi ¦ MX-5
hi!

quick question: is the recirc valve installed correctly? or can it be installed in any position?

710N recirc fitted and tidied up..

20111120155035.jpg

i've been searching for some info about this valve as i need to replace one on a R21 Turbo and the 710N is identical to the stock one (at least externally) and i remembered that i've had seen one here but i also noticed that it's installed differently.

on the R21T stock setup, the pipe from the boost side is connected to the bottom of the valve and not the side.
should i stick to the stock configuration when installing the 710N and if the boost pressure forces the valve open, install it the other way?

I wasn't 100% sure either, but after looking around on the internet for pictures/a breakdown how it works I fitted it the same as it would be on a VAG 1.8T. It certainly works the way it is now when driven/revved up, only lets the excess boost through when off the throttle (on vac) as it should...

BG 182 FF
I have just read this from start to finish, last night and just. This is an amazing project, was a big fan of your clio project but this is by far a greater project.
Epic project, car looks great, hope you can give it a proper run the next time you get on the track

I'm hoping to have the few jobs tidied up and everything good to go by Oulton Park on 17th Feb, will have to see how it goes then!

Andy/Gaz, its something I have read about on the E30 forum and it could be a wise idea to brace it somehow. People suggest bracing the ARB mounts on the rear arms also if using polybushes/or/thicker ARB, im using both so that might be a good idea too. Going to get it back out to check the fuel pump issue is sorted, then probably pop the wishbones off and modify them. Once im happy that they are right Il drop them off at the powdercoaters :)