ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bomber's Reliable Savage Supercharged Snorting Slut of a Ph1

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Re: Bomber's PH1 - Just got Awesome. Post #375

Like the private plate!

CLIO PH1 172

i wanted one of these but was unsure how to fit them to the clio, looks good i like!

Qashcow

they dont really fit that well on the clio, got a washer behind the black steel bit of the strap then bolted through the existing tow hook. this has been drilled out though, the standard renault eye will never fit again

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Just realised thats my only comment on the whole car!

so.. awesome looking car and hope you do keep it!

P.s the wheels and whats left of the 888's did well at combe ;)

Qashcow

things have kind of stalled on the car for the moment, bought another house instead. however, i now have rear camber and am having it all setup next week, loads of negative camber as i only do about 2k miles a year on the road.

not sure what to do next on the car, and going to enjoy some trackdays for a change

went out for a photoshoot last night with shadowness last night. had a good time and i bought along a friend with his M3.

DSC_0551_copy.jpg

DSC_0603_copy.jpg

DSC_0621_copy.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d

I love the cage colour :)

Kinda wish i had done mine a bright colour.

Are you just going to have negative camber, or you going to fiddle with the tow too?

Qashcow

on the rear ive done it with washers because im so cheap, will see what the results are and then adjust then at home re-correcting the rear toe. front will all be setup a bit more professionally lol.

I will also be producing some 5mm spacers to fit between the hub and rear beam, depending how many i can fit, may even manage 15mm per side if the tyres dont scrub the arches. then i'll buy some Eibach hubcentrics for the front.

i just refuse to spend £100+ on spacers for the rear when there are other methods to try first

172 Cup

Which part of Glos Keys is that mate cause that looks like a smart place to use for pics?

mk2 clio 1.2

It looks mint mate really nice love the cage colour sets the car off.

CLIO PH1 172

i was also thinking is there other ways of widening the track on clios without spacers were abouts will you be puting the spacers/washers on the rear do you have pics?

Qashcow

Which part of Glos Keys is that mate cause that looks like a smart place to use for pics?

we used the multi story car park at the Quays, to find the road we used you need to turn left just before you go into the car park then its kinda of round the back. we got ushered on as we were leaving though, anti terrorism b****cks

It looks mint mate really nice love the cage colour sets the car off.

thanks alot, i made sure dan lit the cage up good an proper :)

awesome bummer.....

glad to see its been out and about

cheers wurzel, it's nice using it again. bigger garage at the new house means i can do more bits... perhaps not as extreme as you're going though ;)

i was also thinking is there other ways of widening the track on clios without spacers were abouts will you be puting the spacers/washers on the rear do you have pics?

i dont have pics but will be doing some. first im going to hand make some spacers and see if they'll work. i'll then be getting a batch lazer cut and will sell them on CS. you will have to remove the rear disc, caliper and hub, then fit the spacer between the hub and rear beam. very easy to do, took about 45minutes to take it apart and put mine back together each side

CLIO PH1 172

sounds good - could you not just you a wheel spacer??

Qashcow

hubcentrics cost about £100 for a decent pair, and i dont really know how wide i need to go. my lazer cut ones should cost less than £10 a pair of 5mm

CLIO PH1 172

sorry i dont mean hubcentic i mean the cheap wheel spacers you can get,but insted of putting them on the wheels put them in between the hub and car ?

but i supose if you can make them cheap anough go for it :D

Qashcow

ah i get you. the spacing is quite a bit smaller on the hub. in theory, more wear is placed on the bearings with spacers, my idea should help prevent the extra wear because the offset to the bearing (not the offset to the car) stays the same

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror

Nice diagrams Dave . You could get some new wheels with a different offset if you are feeling flush with the cash!;)

Qashcow
Re: Bomber's Awesome Ph1 Track Slut

-3 degree's camber now, and the first time in 18 months the steering wheel points the same way as the wheels.

50mm spacers on the front and having the rear hub spacers machined today, not going to bother having extra's made as had no interest at all, but it should help save my rear bearings a little bit.

starting to feel the love again for the little clio :)

340i

damn... 50mm will loook wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!!!

Top work squire :)

Honda & VW

Ah ha it was you Dave that my mate spotted the other day, he told me he had seen a Ph1 with a green cage but i didn't know of one.
Looking good, amazing snaps as always from Dan

TrackCar & F30 330d

50mm spacers at the front! I have read the above postes but not really understood it lol.

So your spacing out the hubs as the rear, i get how you do thats but how do you space out the hubs at the front? Or are they just normal wheel spacers your having at the front. 50mm is loads so wont your wheel bolts have a hard time?

CLIO PH1 172

having the rear hub spacers machined today, not going to bother having extra's made as had no interest at al

didnt know you was getting this done, what size will the spacers be and where will they go? or do you mean the rear shims?

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I had 25mm spacers on my ph1 172 (on 16's though) and they rubbed like a good'un on full lock.

Qashcow

Ah sorry for the confusion, fronts are Eibach hubcentrics 25mm per side. But they call them 50mm set.

Rear spacers were finished today using 4 off 75x75x10 steel plates, so 2 on each side to make 20mm per wheel. They are being fitted between the rear beam and the whole hub assembly. I've got pictures, but am off to the pub so they can wait:)

Will be rebuilding the rear hubs this weekend with plenty of pictures for you guys.

Yellowbelly, was your mate in the white 197 cup? Saw him a couple of weeks ago.

CLIO PH1 172

25mm per side makes more sense, look forward to seeing images bomber!

Qashcow

i have a feeling -3 degree's on the rear is a bit much lol... i used 2mm washers, rather than the proper shims. as ive got the hubs apart i can refit new washers, will be using 1.25mm washers which should get me dont to a slightly better angle. cant wait to get out on it this weekend, front spacers sadly not turned up today :(

Qashcow

It's noticable when stood behind the car, I tried taking pics but was in the garage so couldn't get back far enough. Will take before and after shots on Sunday morning

TrackCar & F30 330d

With have that amount of camber at the rear how does it affect the handeling?

Is turn in really strong and is the ar** quite slidey?

Qashcow

driven it about 2 miles with 3 degree's so cant say at the moment lol. will find out over the next few weeks really.

so, first picture shows the rear hub with 2 x 10mm steel plates drilled and fitted between the hub and rear beam

2010_10_09_3653.gif

here you can see the 1.25mm washers hanging on the two lower bolts, ready to be tightened

2010_10_09_3658.gif

and here is the final setup, bolted together.

2010_10_09_3663.gif

now done on both sides here are some before and after pics butchered together

sidebyside1-1.gif

sidebyside2.gif

2010_10_10_3685.gif

2010_10_10_3684.gif

however, i took it up the road and back and it rubs slightly on the corner of the plastic bumper. might have to knock it down to 15mm over the winter just to make sure. i really dont want it do start touching the rear steel arch

Last edited: