ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bowen's RB182

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
My pleasure mate, always happy to help. In fact I enjoy it so drop me a line if you are ever stumped and I’ll try and help. Few years of sorting problems out with these cars now 😂 car looks mint by the way!

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Only just getting round to reading through this thread mate, great read!

We definitely need to arrange something in the South Wales area soon. Maybe Llandow... 🫣

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Only just getting round to reading through this thread mate, great read!

We definitely need to arrange something in the South Wales area soon. Maybe Llandow... 🫣
Hey mate, recognise the name from IG. Definitely, should get a little drive out sorted for summer and a track day at Llandow sounds good.

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Bodywork update.

Firstly, it's in the bodyshop dropped it off 2 weeks ago
20230509_082533.jpg

Any one else have anxiety when dropping a car off to have work done "please don't ring me with bad news!"

2 weeks later and no phone call, no news is good news?

There's a play centre right next door to the bodyshop, so using my daughter as a ticket to pop in to the bodyshop I did just that.

Brace yourself:

Screenshot_20230520_090400_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230520_090410_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230520_090419_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230520_090437_Gallery.jpg

The fuel cap surround is yet to be done...

Screenshot_20230520_090429_Gallery.jpg

I was originally booked in for the one arch but in reality both needed doing or would and as it was there, they just did it.... Fortunately they said they'd given it a good poke and there's nothing else to be concerned about.

My wallet and I are relieved it's no worse.

Credit to the bodyshop, their admin may not be the best but there work and work ethic is right up there.

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Hey mate, recognise the name from IG. Definitely, should get a little drive out sorted for summer and a track day at Llandow sounds good.
I'll drop you a message on instagram in a bit mate, we have a few cars heading to a trackday soon at Llandow! Just need to sort a date out that suits everyone

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Bodyshop emailed earlier in the week with an update and I asked if I could drop the spoiler off and have a look at it, which they had no problem with.

Screenshot_20230616_221131_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230616_221141_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230616_221154_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230616_221202_Gallery.jpg

Dropped the spoiler and side skirts off which will be fitted when I collect next week.

I spoke to the actual fabricator to understand what they had done etc for full peace of mind.
They also took photos along the way too.

I'm really pleased with it and looking forward to getting it back.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
It’s a constant fight with rust on these cars so it’s great to see you’re committed to it. If they’ve chopped the rot out, you should get a couple of years out of it before it needs addressing again. Lovely work!

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
I collected the Clio, probably 2 weeks ago now, thought I'd updated this....anyway here it is
Screenshot_20230708_081754_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_081808_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_081833_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_081853_Instagram.jpg

It took a little while longer that anticipated, however it was worth the wait. The bodyshop also fitted the trophy spoiler which really sets it off.

When I collected the Clio I asked if it started OK as I could see a jump pack sat near it. However it was for a much newer car and apparently the clio fired up with no issue abs left to oily marks in the bodyshop either.

Whilst it was in the bodyshop the MOT ran out. Promply booked it in to my local independent garage where most of the service history is from and
Screenshot_20230708_082608_Instagram.jpg

Advisory for one tyre which I new about and has since been rectified.

Having the Clio back I started tinkering with the cigarette lighter/usb port the previous owner fitted. When I bought the Clio, the USB port worked. When replacing the super bright LED interior bulb, it stopped. So I set aboutlookinf at the wires and checking for a feed and then..... BANG.
Something blew knocking out the CD player and Climate, fuse of course. Replaced the fuse and they came back to life, great. However the solid red immobiliser light did not look good. The Clio would not start.

Much panic ensued. Trying multiple different immobiliser resets, removing the UCH etc and nothing was happening.

I stuck my head in the fuse box under the bonnet and everything looked OK. The fuses all looked good. I thought, "I'll just change them, they look OEM". Then it fired back in to life, thank god!

The fuse I question
Screenshot_20230708_083325_Instagram.jpg

That's it for this instalment.

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Should add, the USB port/cigarette lighter still doesn't work but the CD player and climate does.
Any help/advice/common issues before I mess something else up?

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Properly epic little thing! The best colour and wheel combo on a Mk2 IMO
I'd love to have one in a collection of all the Renaulsport

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
I have many an update.

Firstly, picking up where I left off.
The USB port issue abiuve was solved with a new USB plug. Wasn't a wiring issue but a fault with the USB port itself.

It goes mildly down hill from here.

I wanted to fit EPAS as my PAS system was leaking and at the last track day I was black flagged as the fluid was causing a smoke screen and rightly the Marshalls flagged me in.

I sourced all the EPAS bits, Column, Portuguese ecu, loop rack kit etc.

What I didn't have was the knowledge of how to do it. SOS sent out to Kiv (need to find his user name on here) who has all the knowledge and kindly made the trip over to me from Bristol to South Wales.

To make it worth Kiv's while and to get the most out of his knowledge I also sprung an AC delete and battery relocation on him....

How it started.

Screenshot_20230819_090620_Gallery.jpg

20230718_184651.jpg

20230718_184655.jpg

Things started well(ish) and without Kiv I'd have been totally out of my depth.

All was going well until we got to removing the PAS lines off the rack. One would not come off. Left with little choice, we dropped the Subframe. This was a good idea at the time, until we had the battle of our lives with the captive nuts/Subframe bolts.

Screenshot_20230819_091356_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_091409_Gallery.jpg

Some of the bits that won't be going back on.
Screenshot_20230819_091422_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_091429_Gallery.jpg

Can't underestimate how bloody difficult it was getting the Subframe off with the bolts spinning or not moving at all with all our effort. Out came the angle grinder.

How it was left...
Screenshot_20230819_091849_Gallery.jpg

There's more updates to come but wanted to give a massive thanks to Kiv firstly and all of those ClioSport members on Instagram who dropped me messages of encouragement, advice, uselessness or banter during this leg of the build.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I have many an update.

Firstly, picking up where I left off.
The USB port issue abiuve was solved with a new USB plug. Wasn't a wiring issue but a fault with the USB port itself.

It goes mildly down hill from here.

I wanted to fit EPAS as my PAS system was leaking and at the last track day I was black flagged as the fluid was causing a smoke screen and rightly the Marshalls flagged me in.

I sourced all the EPAS bits, Column, Portuguese ecu, loop rack kit etc.

What I didn't have was the knowledge of how to do it. SOS sent out to Kiv (need to find his user name on here) who has all the knowledge and kindly made the trip over to me from Bristol to South Wales.

To make it worth Kiv's while and to get the most out of his knowledge I also sprung an AC delete and battery relocation on him....

How it started.

View attachment 1656875

View attachment 1656876
View attachment 1656877

Things started well(ish) and without Kiv I'd have been totally out of my depth.

All was going well until we got to removing the PAS lines off the rack. One would not come off. Left with little choice, we dropped the Subframe. This was a good idea at the time, until we had the battle of our lives with the captive nuts/Subframe bolts.

View attachment 1656878

View attachment 1656879

Some of the bits that won't be going back on.
View attachment 1656880
View attachment 1656881

Can't underestimate how bloody difficult it was getting the Subframe off with the bolts spinning or not moving at all with all our effort. Out came the angle grinder.

How it was left...
View attachment 1656882

There's more updates to come but wanted to give a massive thanks to Kiv firstly and all of those ClioSport members on Instagram who dropped me messages of encouragement, advice, uselessness or banter during this leg of the build.
It was a dodgy captive bolt that kick started me removing my engine. I replaced them with new genuine ones, so the next person wouldn’t have to go through the same dilemma. It’ll look great when you’ve finished.

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
We got the Subframe off and eventually got the PAS line (that caused us to remove the Subrframe) off.

Filled the PAS rack with fluid, went to fit the loop kit and I soon found out why the one line wouldn't come out, it had been cross threaded somehow. This now meant I couldn't loop the rack.

Decided to go whole hog and get a DCI rack to complete the EPAS setup.
Screenshot_20230819_091736_Gallery.jpg

Also fitted new inner and outer TRE's but no photos.

Whilst the Subframe and ARB was off I thought I'd clean it up myself with a grinder and some degreaser

20230802_190438.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_094319_Gallery.jpg

I soon realised that this would take me an age. Contacted my local blaster/powdercoater who said a two weeks and £100. Deal. It's still there, pick it up next week.

Idle hands are the devil's tools, is that the saying? Anyway....

Gave the engine bay a lick of paint and fresh gaskets.
Screenshot_20230819_094841_Gallery.jpg

20230813_185612.jpg

20230813_191417.jpg

20230816_203921.jpg

Also a new engine mount as the one on there had become detached(?!)
Screenshot_20230819_095746_Gallery.jpg

But wait there's more....

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Knowing I'd have a fresh Subframe and ARB (and powerflex purple bushes) I could have old or at least rusty dirty hardware on it.

Saw a hack on here about using citric acid to freshen things up.
Screenshot_20230819_094857_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_094909_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_094917_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_094925_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_094936_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230819_094944_Gallery.jpg

Overall pretty happy with how they came out.

However the outer ARB brackets were beyond saving and I was just about to order OEM brackets, nuts and bolts when @Louis gave me a link to an Ebay kit including new inner and outer brackets.
Screenshot_20230819_100547_eBay.jpg

No their not OEM but if that's your thing, you must be great at parties. 😂
Compared next to the ones that came off they were identical.
Screenshot_20230819_100751_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230819_100804_Instagram.jpg

Also new inner brackets and you can see the old brackets have been er... Modified.
Screenshot_20230819_100944_Instagram.jpg

That's it for now until I get the Subframe back and rebuild it all back up.

Thanks for reading!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Citric acid works great. If heavily pitted twke out and wire brush and chuck them back in for longer.

The aftermarket outer arb bush brackets are prob better than oe

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
So after I did all of the above I manage to slip a disc in my back which left me bed bound and unable to play cars.

There wasn't much I could do as the Subframe was at the powdercoaters and I was waiting on a few bits.

Eventually I was back on my feet and able to do a few bits on the car.

Subframe, ARB and those brackets back from the powdercoasters.
IMG-20230905-WA0006.jpg

Gave the front brakes a lick of paint.

IMG-20230905-WA0002.jpg

Took a quick look at the rear beam, determining how much of a problem that's going to give me.
20230906_101537.jpg

Took the wings off and treated the bumper brackets to some Bilt Hamber treatment. With advice from @Mr Underhill on the rust treatment process (much appreciated).
20230912_122930.jpg

20230912_123527.jpg

20230912_123638.jpg

Those are the before pics... Obviously. Currently under clingfilm wrap with Bilt Hamber Deox C.

Rebuilt the front Subframe up. The wishbones, although dirty, we're fairly new and genuine Renault. Bushes were all good so they stayed.
20230914_151616.jpg

Fresh brackets and bushes on the ARB.
DCI Rack fitted with new inner and outer tie rods.
New Subframe nuts and bolts.

Mores to update, just catching up.

Attachments

• 20230912_122956.jpg
    20230912_122956.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
As above more updates.

I bought some BH products to sort the surface rust.
20230929_105613.jpg

20231001_175258.jpg

20231001_175253.jpg

20231001_175241.jpg

Still stewing in Deox.

Then last weekend a rather busy shift with @k.sokhi

PMS AC Delete fitted
20231001_174401.jpg

New Rad and expansion tank
(bottom right, old expansion tank)
20230930_104845.jpg

Powdercoated Subframe with fresh bolts in.
20231001_174432.jpg

@k.sokhi doing the work, whilst I made the tea.
Screenshot_20231005_105341_Gallery.jpg

On to the inside. The EPAS was wired in
Screenshot_20231005_105548_Gallery.jpg

20231001_174350.jpg

We (Kiv), also aligned my PMS shifter and relocated the battery to the boot.

Massive thanks to Kiv for his help. The EPAS was way out understanding.

Long day but productive and nothing fought us, which after the last stint (removing the Subframe etc) was nice.

Last edited:

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Wow is this where I left things.....small updates then.

Eventually, everything was fitted and the EPAS worked like a dream. In my personal opinion, I highly rate it.

20231104_182246.jpg

Not long after I had everything in this turned up
20231003_164022.jpg

So out came the seats and in it went at some point I relocated the battery too.

IMG_20231108_191947_730.jpg

(Wonky tips I know)

Then being the tart I am I fancied black seat belts and hard backed seats, so the seats came out again.
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 21.19.44.png

And now it's driving great, seat position is good and everything is as it should be.....

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 21.23.53.png

So naturally, I've bought a fresh rear beam etc and booked in to have the fuel tank dropped, rust treated and undersealed etc.

The fun never stops.

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Changed the wheels over to the Team Dynamics fitted with Giti semi slicks. Very good tyres, I imagine even better in the dry.
DSC03928.jpg

Went for a drive on some local roads and the longest drive since all of the work.

DSC04005-2.jpg

There were rattles, and knocks and engine lights.

The rattles turned out to be the jubilee clip of the induction kit hitting part of the engine bay. Also some interior trim. The knock, a loose collar on one of the coilovers.

Lights on the dash.....ABS and SERV. Got home plugged in the RSTuner met with 5 codes:
1. AC refrigerant - That'll be the AC Delete
2. Lambda Sensor - Had a feeling the engine was even lumpier that usual
3. ABS Fault
4. ABS Fault
5. ABS Fault

My RSTuner doesn't have the ABS Module so I can't see what the codes are exactly. I disconnected the battery, left it overnight, turned it on and the lights are still there! Would have assumed they'd have gone out briefly, but no. I've checked for snagged wires around the subframe, wiggled some connections and nothing. Visibly checked the ABS sensors. Check the clock spring/squib and everything seems fine. HELP PLEASE?!

I did replace the 10 year old lambda sensor for a fresh bosch item and I'm really surprised how smooth the engine is now. How an EML wasn't on for the lamda, I don't know.

20240315_092611.jpg

Booked in next month to drop the rear beam, underseal, surface rust treat and rear discs/bearings and pads.

DSC03982.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Any ESP lights? With a steering angle sensor fault you’d usually get SERV, ABS and ESP lights together.

SERV and ABS only could mean:

1. faulty ABS sensors - front or rear
2. Dirt on the sensor lense
3. Cracked or malformed ABS rings (I assume it has the right ones on?)
4. Connectors pushed in? Corrosion in the connectors?

I had a permanent ABS light in one of my track cars but the ABS was working. Black electricians tape sorted that 😮

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
I had searched and results say that ABS, SERV are usually good mates with ESP light too. But no, no ESP light.

So this all started around the same time I managed to put the clutch switch and brake switch on the wrong pedals, right connections wrong holes above the pedals. Yes, everytime I put the clutch in the brake lights would come on.... DOH!

Because when I pressed the brake pedal, no brake lights came on, I spent a while thinking my brake light switch was faulty, bought a new brake light switch (which was the clutch switch, still following?) and at the same time I realised my mistake. Fitted a new clutch switch (in my mind the brake switch) Swapped the switches to the correct holes and adjusted the real brake light switch back in to postion.

Once I realised my mistake and put them the switches on the correct pedals, I had brake lights. The ABS and SERV lights have been on throughout all this.

On thing I did test was the brake light switch. I removed it from the connector block and the ABS +SERV lights were on. Refitted the switch and the lights were still on. So does that determine the switch is faulty, if whether it's connected or not I still have ABS + SERV lights?

That gave me a headache writing that.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I had searched and results say that ABS, SERV are usually good mates with ESP light too. But no, no ESP light.

So this all started around the same time I managed to put the clutch switch and brake switch on the wrong pedals, right connections wrong holes above the pedals. Yes, everytime I put the clutch in the brake lights would come on.... DOH!

Because when I pressed the brake pedal, no brake lights came on, I spent a while thinking my brake light switch was faulty, bought a new brake light switch (which was the clutch switch, still following?) and at the same time I realised my mistake. Fitted a new clutch switch (in my mind the brake switch) Swapped the switches to the correct holes and adjusted the real brake light switch back in to postion.

Once I realised my mistake and put them the switches on the correct pedals, I had brake lights. The ABS and SERV lights have been on throughout all this.

On thing I did test was the brake light switch. I removed it from the connector block and the ABS +SERV lights were on. Refitted the switch and the lights were still on. So does that determine the switch is faulty, if whether it's connected or not I still have ABS + SERV lights?

That gave me a headache writing that.
200.gif