ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake advice, 53 plate 172 Cup

172 mk2...with clima
Hi guys,

Got a 22,000 miler, excellent overall condition (garaged all its life) but, to me, the brakes feel a bit wooden. My friend who has an exactly-the-same-but-lower-miles 53 plate with 8000 on the clock says his have more feel. I have driven his car but wasn't concentrating on the brakes as such, but i didn't notice a huge difference.

My brakes work, don't get me wrong. There is nothing 'wrong' with them as such; I can lock them at will. But i could do with a bit more feel, especially as i don't have ABS and when they lock they seem to do so quite suddenly. I still locked the ones on my friend's car going into a corner quite fast. Again, it seemed to happen without much warning or difference in pedal feel from not locked to locked. It is going to the 'ring in May so i could do with something a bit better.

The car has brand new tyres, the correct ones, fitted when i bought it. So it is a brake thing, not grip as such.

So, power isn't a problem, feel is. Your suggestions, venerable colleagues?

Edited to add: car is standard from top to bottom, no mods of any kind and brakes are also standard with, i assume, standard Renaultsport pads.

Clio 172 mk2
Modulation is the word for this control.

I'm running OE pads and discs and find them okay for pedal feel.

cock mobile.
Bleed the brake system, some new brake fluid?

Maybe even some new lines (altough I find my standard ones are fine).

Turbos.
Yeah, maybe some air in the brake lines...?

I would say it's a perfect excuse to upgrade the lines and pads for your trip.

X-172 Cup
Agree - mines the same age & mileage - I had fresh fluid & a bleed and they feel tons better, the calipers were sticking as well but that's another story...