ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Cooling Ducts for Clio 2

FrogJam Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
If you are looking for a brake cooling option then look no further than corvette c6 brake ducts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-201...-/281605705202?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Bought these as a bit of a gamble and they fit absolutely perfectly. Even the mounting hole matches the front control arm brace on the body. Fit perfectly behind the fog light holes.

First mentioned them on our build thread but have seemed to be quite popular since putting it on our instagram page so thought I would add a separate thread.

Link to main build thread:
https://cliosport.net/threads/fred-and-james’-clio-182-racecar-project.832697/post-12079911

A3929900-0A30-491A-BF8E-C92AA0DA1306.jpeg

A20C9806-F70B-4B48-86DF-382709E69972.jpeg

01B08C07-C301-4BEE-93E2-10CC277182D6.jpeg

D851CCE0-78EE-4327-80F6-EE3DC9EA06D7.jpeg

200 cup
Ebay special installed when I did the alternator to prevent that issue (as per your advice on 197.net), should arrive at the end of this month, if it doesn't work anyone want to buy them off me :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 12.12.50.png

FrogJam Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
I purchased a set of these after seeing them on here.

How have you connected them to the bumper?
No I haven’t connected to the bumper as the bumper is quick release so still taking it off a fair amount. They sit tight against the original fog light housing though so don’t seem to move about much.

Evans Rallying have fitted them using the cup racer brake duct and have attached them.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I also bought these for the £75 (with taxes etc) off eBay after seeing your thread, easy to fit, however has taken me ages to get one to clear the tyres on full lock, the other side is fine. Ended up having to heat up the plastic and sort of ram and hold it in place with the wheel into a shape that worked, however I’m still very happy with them...

I had previously cut my cup racer ducts slightly so there is a slight gap between the ducts which is fine as I’m forever removing my front bumper. As for fitting I used the obvious mounting bolt along with an additional drilled hole up front as seen below, I also lobbed a cable tie around the center area purely to make it feel abit more solid.

4CD7BB36-5C47-41FC-A112-AB9C1B04648B.jpeg
72ACB86C-0246-4C2F-AF8F-375C5547A724.jpeg
FED97985-E26F-49C1-BDAE-B7B22C354CAB.jpeg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
When you say they caught on full lock, how mcuh did they catch by? And are you running normal range ET wheels or any spacers?

ET38 with 18mm spacers. I drove it for its MOT a mile down the road and noticed it, when I looked after it passed the tyre had started to melt through the plastic, it only just cleared it when I fitted it in the air, so I assume when the tyre had weight on it that was no longer the case and it was close enough to rub. Like I say I only had this problem on the off side, which I assume is either due to my fitting of it somehow or a manfacturing defect, not sure, a heat gun and a fair amount of time messing about with it sorted it in the end.

Those Evans Rallying pictures above look to be litrally just placed in there rather than mounted at all so I wonder how easy they found it with the far from well made renaultsport cup racer ducts, although it does look as though they have chopped off the front of the duct for more clearance as you can see how close they sit to my cup racer ducts and ive chopped half of the ducts off!

Dont get me wrong these are awesome and are easily the best solution ive come across thanks to @FPummell but they (for me at least) just took a few hours of messing with to get sat right. Lets see if they survive their first trackday on Tuesday :p

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm glad someone took the jump before myself. I have been looking at these Corvette ducts for a while and working out if the design would work along with the brembo cooling brackets to run ducting directly to the caliper but looking at the picture the hole looks to run close to the caliper enough to produce decent cooling

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
As for rubbing what about allowing it to mark the area of rubbing and then heating it up with a heat gun and create an indent to allow for full lock?

I don’t think you read my full essay 😂 That’s basically what I did, heated it up, then created the extra space by putting a folded up rag tight in between the tyre and the duct where it was rubbing then held the wheel at full lock for a couple of minutes to bend the plastic to shape. I had previously just tried to heat it and bend it with various things in the garage with little luck.

I’m sure there are better ways to do this but i just wanted a way to do it in situ as I was fed up of taking them off constantly 😁

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I'm glad someone took the jump before myself. I have been looking at these Corvette ducts for a while and working out if the design would work along with the brembo cooling brackets to run ducting directly to the caliper but looking at the picture the hole looks to run close to the caliper enough to produce decent cooling

You kinda get a good idea of it from this pic, be it for the standard calipers

03CEA0A0-7E98-4924-A9B5-4E5FC0FEE4BF.jpeg

Clio 172
Great find @FPummell thank you.
Is anyone about to measure how far out from the chassis/frame this protrude towards the wheel? I’m trying to see if at full lock these won’t get caught by the tyre like happened to @Greeny. I’m running 15x7 ET35 wheel on a non cup 182 but don’t want to make fit or I’ll just fix up what I have already

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
@Mb21 for reference I’m running ET38 wheels with 18mm front spacers, cup packed 182 just had a larger hub and bearings though not a wider track, 172 cups only had a wider track from the factory due to their ET38 rims.

Clio 172
Thanks @Greeny. that doesn’t sound great for me as your running 15mm more front track.
If anyone and get me a measure of how far these ducts protrude outwards where the tyre is at full lock it be great

FrogJam Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
Thanks @Greeny. that doesn’t sound great for me as your running 15mm more front track.
If anyone and get me a measure of how far these ducts protrude outwards where the tyre is at full lock it be great

Measured from the front longitudinals the ducts stick out 40mm.

Are people running these on road cars too?

Just thinking they are easy enough to fit once you get to the track and then never need full lock.

Just for reference we are running et35 wheels, 205 tyres, Laguna hubs (about 5-10mm wider I believe) and no spacers. Just rubs at full lock.

B0B9B004-6721-4F9F-BE9A-BA6D3E6028EF.jpeg

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’ve got them on mine using some ducts made up by @04-182. Fit is perfect and they look good too. Mine caught very slightly running standard 182 wheels with 20mm spacers. I’ve got r888r tyres on though which do have quite chunky side walls. They took literally 2 minutes to push in slightly so they don’t run. An easier solution is to avoid full lock. Horn is in the way too but they are almost an oem solution

9C1D2CCF-7FAD-4304-A740-092BCED24F12.jpeg

9DA72850-A805-4AE7-B0E7-6BB6DD30572B.jpeg

EE210AF3-A3B3-4A10-A415-42700895D3A2.jpeg

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I suppose there's nothing stopping me cutting the front part out and leaving the rest!

Mk2 Leon Cupra
Was told about this solution recently at a track day and liking the look of them. Can anyone confirm how much they were via the above eBay listing including the import cost and roughly a delivery timescale from them ordering? Cheers

Mk2 Leon Cupra
@RSRowe cheess mate much appreciated

I’m not running spacers on mine and have cup offset Turinis on my 182 has anyone fitted these to the same setup with just a bit of heat remoulding

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got any pics of how they've arranged this with the arch liner (obvs those that still have the liner in).

Thanks in advance,

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Why is everyone so keen to keep the liners? To protect the belts on the drivers side? To stop the arches parachuting?