ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTB 172 stealth... mmm, yes please!

Sprint 172
Quick teaser pic for you, I'll upload the rest later along with details.
outside1.jpg

outside2.jpg

Sprint 172
A bit of background first. I've known Joe Ellis, proprietor of BTB Exhausts for nearly 20 years. I've had his exhausts on every car I have ever owned and, as I'm sure most people are aware, they are some of the best you can get. Obviously quality doesn't come cheap and it wouldn't be fair to compare his exhausts to the mass produced stuff you can get - which performs perfectly well at their price point. However, although I hadn't intended to put a 'sports exhaust' on my 172, I have been replacing a section of the genuine exhaust every year since I've had it! The backbox rotted again last Thursday.

Being slightly older than most on this forum, I couldn't take the chance on a noisy exhaust system, so I decided to bend Joe's arm and persuade him to make a stealth system for a 172.

It's a two box stainless system with a 2.5" bore. It fits perfectly and the noise can be described a deep rumble. No booming, no rasp, just a nice deep rumble. A very subtle and yet noticeable noise. In fact, Joe said it might be too quiet for some!

A neat feature is the additional bracket on the back box. As you may know, the standard Renault hanger is offset to one side (and still used). To beef the system up and help with lining it up Joe has added another hanger similar to what they made for the Palmer Sport cars a few years ago. This bolts into the chassis using two holes that are already there. One hole is perfectly sized for one of the bolts, the other is slightly bigger enabling a fair amount of adjustment - handy! Needless to say the bracket and hanger are included with every system. The tailpipe lines up precisely level with the bottom of the bumper, the backbox can hardly be seen at all - even better than the Renault one

No prices as yet. But you've seen the group buy costs for the 182, expect this to be a chunk cheaper as it's simpler in design. It's never going to be the same price as the competition though. Prices will follow soon.

No idea on power improvement. My car has never been on a dyno before so it would be a pointless exercise. However, I've never known a BTB system not to produce the goods.

As usual, 100 cell Pro-Cats and de-cat silencers are also available if you want to spend even more money! This is not meant as some sort of sales pitch. I just thought that there might be a few members who would be interested in this. Hope you are. Thanks, Matt.

Some pics...

backbox1.jpg

backbox2.jpg

middlebox.jpg

middlebox2.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
BTB was the best aftermarket system i had, for fit and sound.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
BTB's are rated highly by everyone I've known whos had one. You got any videos buddy? Looks spanking quality.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Would be very interested. Does the bumper only just cover the exhaust? If so, would probably be slightly exposed on a ph1 due to the shallower rear bumper.

Sprint 172
Would be very interested. Does the bumper only just cover the exhaust? If so, would probably be slightly exposed on a ph1 due to the shallower rear bumper.

There are other differences on the phase 1 as well (cat length I think), so he would really need to see the car to make it perfect.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Looks great. The bracing on the front silencer section is also a nice touch. As per other posts, how much are these?

Sprint 172
Give BTB a few days to work the price out. Hopefully it'll be a group buy price based on sensible numbers 3+ to keep it down.