ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTB exhaust: news and pics!

Integra Type R & 205 Mi16
Right, the system has been designed and built after 6 days of hard work by Joe Ellis at BTB. Its been sent away for noise testing and when its back (should be by now) he's gonna make the jig so that the system can be reproduced, once the jig is done we will have the car back. Here are some pics for you guys to feast your eyes on until then (hopefully they won't be too big). Any questions, just fire away.
cliobtbunderfloor.jpg

Cliobtbrear.jpg

copied from the other thread

fmp. A few Qs on the exhaust.

Why two back boxes not one like an Orbisoud?

What bore is the pipe?

Are the silencers chambered?

What options will you offer ie louder and a sports cat?

Are you doing before and after RR?

Does it have a removeable decat section?

Price seems high for that money I would want a sports cat aswell.

Garf172 said:
looks nice from the rear shot. is it only 182 exhausts your doing??

We'll just be doing 182 for now, as the development costs are quite high, a 172 BTB mat be along later, it all depends on the feeedback we get on this system.

MarkM said:
copied from the other thread

fmp. A few Qs on the exhaust.

Mat (FMP) isn't about and has done most of the dealings with btb. I'll do my best to answer your questions as much as possible. Some details I can't give right now, we won't know all of them until we pick the car up as btb have done all the design and development, none of it has been done by Shed Motorsport.

Why two back boxes not one like an Orbisoud?

Without asking Joe at BTB directly I would say that he has chosen this set up using information gathered from the very expensive simulation program he uses, Ricardo Wave. This program models things like exhaust pulses once all the details of the engine, inlet and exhuast system have been entered. The two boxes may also be as a result of our request to make the system sub 98db so its suitable for track days. With the orbisoud being a race exhaust it wouldn't need to be so restircted in terms of noise and can get away with just a single rear box.

What bore is the pipe?

I "think" the bore is 50mm, although 54mm seems to ring a bell. More news on this later.

Are the silencers chambered?

Simple answer, i don't know, but i would think that they are to meet noise restrictions. Again, more on this later

What options will you offer ie louder and a sports cat?

As quoted before the limit we have set is 98db, I doubt anyone would actually want anything louder than this.

BTB have there own 100 cell FIA procat. The decat section will be removable, so I think think that a sports cat would be possible. Don't quote me on this but I think the guys at BTB have designed it to function properly if a cat is installed.

Are you doing before and after RR?

A before figure was obtained at regals rolling road in Southampton, the car will be going back on the same rollers once we have it back.

Does it have a removeable decat section?

See above

Price seems high for that money I would want a sports cat aswell.

The price may seem "high", but you get what you pay for, hopefully this will be reflected in the gains we get. Mat has all the pricing details so i don't know what he has based that price on, but the prices drop considerably once we start ordering in quantities, i'll ask Mat about it asap, so watch this space.

Many thanks for your interest.

Joe

Shed Motorsport

Like the idea that it has been modelled for optimum performance.

I am sure the questions can be answered in more detail when you have your car back. Will be interested in your rr results aswell. Also group buy offers.

I dont have anything to do with the system, but maybe i can help clear up some stuff.

BTB make fantastic exhausts, i was going to use them ages ago, but found somewhere else that suits me better, but again, BTB is probably in the top 5 in the UK, and more importantly available for public use.

Mark, dont worry about not having a single rear silencer at the rear. Having a single rear silencer and having the split inside the silencer isnt great for flow, its more of an attempt to equal up the lengths to tailpipe from the 'Y' split. Unequal lengths lead to unequal pulses and all sorts of mayhem.

As for cost, i think the problem is that the general public have been so used to off the shelf mass produced exhausts that cost £350, are made of taiwaneese stanless, mig welded in a matter of seconds, have zero detailing or design influence.....where they are basically built to be big bore, loud and to fit the 'hole' of the original.

A proper exhaust by the likes of BTB etc with hand built silecers, tig welding all round (which takes ages to do nicely, and the skill itself is highly sought after), quality stainless and at least an attempt at theoretical design, the price isnt so scary and can be considered a bargain to a 'racer' or a serious power enthusiast. In other means, the quality pays for itself and can carry a level of bragging rights.

Nice one joe and mat for doing something decent on the exhaust scene finally!

Thanks a lot for your comments Ben:D, as you rightly stated, people are too accustomed with mass produced rubbish. On another thread, someone seemd concerned about the quality of the welds, for those in doubt, here are some pics of the Fiesta ST system that BTB produced.

FiestaBTBManifold.jpg

FiestaBTBCat.jpg

FiestaBTBBackBox.jpg

lol ^^^ although im in total agreement you get what you pay for and no doubt the BTB will be spot on quality there's a factor that really needs to be taken into consideration. The concept of "priced to sell" will always mean the BTB's etc wont only ever sell a handful of exhausts. I'd pay upto about £650 for a good quality manifold back system but anymore than that on a car which you could pick up for 13.5K new and now is worth about 9.5k and forever getting less is going to mean about 99% of the owners will never pay even £650.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
the bore from the y peice going into the backboxes seem smaller than the centre section are they?

50mm bore? 2inch system? isnt the standard system 2inch bore?

VaVa
We've always been told that 63mm is the magic number.... but the trouble is people on here read something and treat it as gospel..... I've never bothered to find out myself.

VaVa
63mm is 2.5 inch... lol

I've even heard 3 inch mentioned.

All I know is I trust BenR's opinion on such matters and it certainly seems as though BTB know their onions.

clio 200 F4Rt
i am 99% sure the bore of the system is 63mm, until the final back box split. which obviposuly doesnt need to be so big.

as for the price, we are fairly confident that the power gains will do all the talking for us. One other thing to bear in mind is the 2nd hand cost, BTB's always keep thier value, i recently sold thier Saxo system, which cost around 600 new for 380. So its an investment, rather than a purchase!!

we are also going to be supplying thier system for the Civic Type R, which goes up against the big jap boys like spoon, tannabe etc. but were confident in BTB's design and production to do so.

will hopefully get the car back before the easter weekend, as soon as we do picks and information will be up.

oh and there will definatley be a group buy!

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
I see nothing special there design wise. Got any internal pics of the y piece ? Unless the special bits are in not in that pic ? ;)

Build quality looks good though.

I'm of the opinion that exhausts are very rarely something that you can "see" anything special in terms of design. A lot of it is down to the lengths of the pipes and the spacing of the resonators, construction of the resonators etc etc. AFAIK there are 4 boxes in total. As to whether it is actually anything "special" in terms of power gains, we'll just have to wait and see.

No pics of the y piece. Sorry.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem if i can work out how to host it etc, i think mat knows though. The car will also be at FCS complete with BTB and hoopefully our new 4 pot brake kit.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
what make is the 4 pot kit? cost? fmp will the new exhaust be on your car at goodwood on the 24th m8?

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
ya will be there, looking forward to seeing the development exhaust as you guys seem to have a good rep, i only have an 'old' 172 so its no good to me but who knows for the future eh

Loony said:
4 boxes? soft, will there be a mans version ?

There ended up being 3 boxes in the end, consisting of 1 resonator that replaces the cat and then the 2 rear boxes shown in the pics. Originally there was a small 4th box just after the cat but BTB had problems with it rubbing on the bodywork. BTB noise tested the system with and without this box and it barely made any difference so has been left out. The resonator box at the front of the system can be replaced with a btb 100 cell procat, or the suprisingly efficient original 200 cell metallic cat (not the usual ceramic and restrictive type of cat), to use the original cat it will need to be sent to btb for modification.

I'll leave mat to fill you in on how it drives.

Joe

Shed Motorsport

clio 200 F4Rt
yes indeed, we are just finalising prices with BTB to see if we can get the system to customers cheaper.

So in hopefully next week or so all information and pricing will be available, and we will be taking orders.

if you want any further info, drop me or joe a PM.

cheers.

vx220
Did nobody speak to any of the guys at shed at the FCS? I didnt go but would be interested to hear from anyone who did manage to speak to the guys about this system!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Other than the TB'd cars, this car was the only one to catch me. Sounded fantasic.

(Also had Track rubber on) -Cheat ;)