ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Build Quality Battle - 182 vs 197 ?

Currently in the market to buy a new car, been looking at the renaultsports and have had an interest in them for a few years now. I drove a 182 a few days ago for the first time to see what i thought, loved the power and handling of the car however i did not like the cheap, loose feeling gearstick and general rattles in the car. I have about £5k to spend and just felt it would be a bad investment in a way by purchasing a 182 for that amount of money. So on to the 197... just curious if it of similar quality to the 182 with rattling and cheap feel inside the car?

Cheers

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Build quality in the mk3 Clio is much better than the previous clios! My 70k 197 with cup chassis didn't rattle, squeak or feel cheap. Of course, they've got a lot of catching up to do with the Germans but they're fine!

I have about £5k to spend and just felt it would be a bad investment in a way by purchasing a 182 for that amount of money.

Well, yes... unless you're after a Trophy then surely your choice is:

market value (3k) 182 vs market value 197 (5k).

If you want less rattles and don't mind it feeling less raw go for a 197. If you fancy 2k in the bank/for fun and don't mind rattles and a bit less refinement then go for a 182. Which ever you do, take your time finding a really good example!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I would take the rattles over potential gearbox issues with a 197 and as steven says money in the bank unless it is a trophy/low mileage rb/ly 182 you're after...

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The gearbox issues aren't as common as people make out, it's only becuase we hear about them more with us being part of a forum. Their are thousands of 197 owners that haven't had issues, but they don't come on forums telling us that they HAVEN'T replaced their gearbox.

The cost of fixing the issue can be sub £500 so to me I think it's a risk worth taking.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Personally I prefer the 197! The 182 is more of a go-kart car so good to nip about places in imo but the 197 has more comfort and power.

You will suffer with the dreaded MPG issue though.

Think I'm currently on average 23MPG and I don't drive too bad to be honest.

BG Clio 182 FF
I would take the rattles over potential gearbox issues with a 197 and as steven says money in the bank unless it is a trophy/low mileage rb/ly 182 you're after...

I'd rather spend good money on a mint 182 rather than a cheap 197. I have driven both and found the 182 much more involving and fun to drive. If you don't like rattles and bits breaking/falling off then buy a VAG car. It's part of the charm ;) Owning a french hot hatch is character building. Generally annoying, frustrating and you'll occasionally think "what if I changed for xxx car" but nothing i've driven before made me laugh out loud when going out for a b-road blast. I love mine.

5K should buy you a lovely 182 with cash left over for go faster bits.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I prefer the 197! The 182 is more of a go-kart car so good to nip about places in imo but the 197 has more comfort and power.

You will suffer with the dreaded MPG issue though.

Think I'm currently on average 23MPG and I don't drive too bad to be honest.

The mpg doesn't warrant the performance imo.

And they are no quicker really than a 182 ;)

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Nah, the MPG doesn't warrant the performance at all - for the amount of fuel I go through I'd want to be able to do 0-60 in under 2 seconds. ;)

A standard 197 and a standard 182.. the 1*2's are always going to be quicker on acceleration because the 197's are quite heavy but as soon as the pace picks up it's normally relatively easy for the 197 to fly by. Both quick cars and as said by a few in here they both have their pros and cons and I suppose it's down to the OP's preference out of the two.