ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
So after playing fuel light bingo again last night and loosing, I dropped the car off at powerstation this morning to get the geometry done.

On the way I popped into my mates to fit the dynamics whels with the R888's on.

Badly setup geometry, damp roads and worn 888's on 38psi = no grip! Lucky it was only 2 miles.

This time I wanted it much more track focused, so with that in mind the back axle readings were taken to give us a base line to work from.

It had -1.5 degrees camber and a little toe in. We stripped off the rear brakes on one side to get the hub off and see how much it would change with some spacers/washers behind.

IMAGE_275.jpg

After fitting a 0.5mm washer behind one of the hub bolts we built it all back up and measured it again.

It now has -2 degrees camber and a little toe out. The toe was not even side to side tho so we loosened the axle mounting points and moved it about till it was as equal as possible. It didnt come out exactly right but to get any more adjustment would mean dropping the axle and elongating the holes more. Maybe next year.

IMAGE_276.jpg

So the rear end was done, Took bloody ages to get it right. The front end would be easy compaired.

The castor was set to the maximum it would give. Just over 2 degrees witch isnt as much as we would like. This is something that I will look into at a future date. Ph1's have naff all castor standard in comparison to ph2's

Setting the front camber was next. It was orignialy set to -1.5 degrees on the H&R's. Meh, pussy setting tbh.

Just checked how much it would give on its max setting...........

IMAGE_277.jpg

-4.5 degrees, Lol

It was then set back to -2.25 degrees.

IMAGE_278.jpg

Setting the toe proved to be a tricky job. The o/s track rod bottomed out in the end, meaning we couldnt adjust it properly as it ran out of adjustment. I moved the steering wheel around on the boss to try and overcome this but we just ended up with the problem on the n/s then.

I left it with them to sort out, they are going to centre the rack and wheel and if needed cut a small amount off the track rods to give the adjustment we need. This could be down to running different camber and castor settings now.

So when they have done that it will then be corner weighted.

This will also give me a PROPER total weight of the car.

Hence the reason it was running on fumes last night, I was getting it as low as possible.

I should be picking it up tuesday.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
lol nothings simple is it mate... good work though. looking for ward to seeing this (and a cheeky passenger ride)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
great work jay

graham from work (his type r is in general) is friends with curtis and uses him a fair bit, from what i hear the guys a a saint...

can't wait to see it, no passenger ride for me though...that will muck your corner weighting up..

172 Race Car
Yes Curtis is a suspension legend but that makes him a very, very busy chap. He isnt doing my car as he had other work (For race teams) to do.

Jerry is doing the setup and corner weight, he did it for me before. I helped out a bit with the rear axle stuff.

To answer all the questions and pm's about the costs.

Powerstation charge £80+vat for the geometry and £70+vat for the corner weight.
Ive no idea how much they will charge for doing all the rear axle work and for sorting out the steering rack problem. I'll find out on tuesday when I pick it up.

Obviously I didnt 'need' the rear end done but imo there no point in me having top quality suspension and then not having the car setup as well as possible. For the same reason the ride height may dissapoint some people as it isnt that low.

172 Race Car
Got home from work at 3:30 today and cycled the 2.5miles to powerstation. It was much easier when i was a kid, I was sweating like a rapist when I arrived.

Found a good technique in the end. Pedal like fook for 30seconds then coast for 2 mins or untill your going to slow and about to fall off. then repeat.

When I arrived the car was just coming off the ramp after some last minuite checks.

I paid the bill (Ouch that really hurt) was A LOT!

Had a chat with Jerry who did the work. He had to cut both track rods down due to the amount of camber the car is now running. Both sides were bottoming out in the ends before the toe was set.

He had also corner weighed it and set it without anyone in, then checked it with two people in. All nicely ballanced now. Obviosuly if i drive it on track alone it wont be ideal but it wont be that noticable apparently.

Cant really comment on how it feels yet. All i can say is with the bike hanging out the back and driving home the car felt very good, it drove straight, Lol.

M

mini-valver

Weight????

Toe out on the rear will help the car around a clockwise track if its on the laft hand rear, and vice versa so its no BAD think. And 5 mins is absolutely f**k all, lol.

172 Race Car
For those interested/know what it all means,

Rear axle:

Camber: -2' 00
Total Toe: - 0' 06mins

Front:

Camber: -2' 15mins
Castor: +2' 30mins
Total Toe: -0' 18

Corner weights: With track wheels no driver or passenger and 1 gallon of fuel.

LF: 295kgs
RF: 301kgs
LR: 140kgs
RR: 143kgs

Total 879kgs :eek:

With driver and passenger

LF: 336kgs
RF: 339kgs
LR: 180kgs
RR: 181kgs

Total 1037kgs

M

mini-valver

879? AWESOME! Hopefully weigh mine this weekend too, so will be good to see how it compares!
Corner weights look spot on, how much have they gone up or down across the car? Ie, ride height difference.

172 Race Car
I didnt set the ride heights from when i got the shocks from Adey. I asked them if it needed to be lower as it looks higher than when on adeys car (but he had a cage)

they were happy with the height. As I said earlier it will disspoint the 'Get low' Brigade but its for a reason.

For info the starting weights were:

LF: 285
RF: 311
LR: 150
RR: 133

172 Race Car
Based on the current figures that makes it 202bhp per ton with no fuel and no driver. so it would never go anywhere

M

mini-valver

What I mean dude is, whats the difference in ride height across the axle. As in, is it noticeably higher one side? I wasn't very clear, lol :eek:

172 Race Car
It looked odd in the workshop but it was on a full lock. looked ok on the drive but that aint flat.

Im not sure yet, lol

172 Race Car
Couldnt belevie it myself but they aint no mickey mouse outfit with a set of scales.

Pleased aint the word, kind of dangerous tho coz im thinking what else can go before the cage goes in and ruins all the hard work.

Got to stop doing stuff to it tho, what started 18months ago as a plan to get a stock one and maybe take the back seats out has turned into a major problem

M

mini-valver

LOL! Thats my thoughts! Worryingly, Ive knicked 20/25/32 and 38mm hole saws from work:quiet:

When you get chance, just have a look for me, sheer curiosity thats all because when I'm at work, 1 turn on the rears makes a MASSIVE difference because of how stiff the shell is!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice result Jay - going to be a beast if mine is anything to go by..

Makes sense though...mine's stripped to the bare metal but with a very heavy passenger seat in and from the published 1,021kgs starting point I've taken out 117kgs giving me around 904kgs.

If I lost the seat and looked extra hard for more redundant items I'm sure I could get to 875kgs or so same as you.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice result! Looking forward to seeing this at ppc!

Couldn't get any track time btw, it's been sold out since Feb!

Qashcow
thats a great weight isnt it Jay!

glad we got the tracktime at PPC in time then! will see you there too Rich