ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

Ok I havent updated for quite a while so this will be quite a long post. A lot has happened.

Ive decided now that im going to do Bedford Renaultsport evening on the 16th so this gave me a deadline and a time scale to get it all finished. Im on track to get it all done in time.

The first problem was the need for a custom pas pipe from the pump. Now its in a different location it just didnt fit. I went to a local one man band hydraulics place and the guy told me he could make it no problem. He promised to ring me, before i went on a weeks holiday, to let me know how it was going.

No phone call :rolleyes:

After my week away, I popped into see him and he couldnt even remember who i was, he then said he could do it but would have to sub the job out to another firm in Gloucester. f**king messer, so i took the template pipe off him and went straight to the other company in Gloucester. They used the original fittings of the pipe and just replaced the tube part to my new shape. They were really busy but managed to do it within a few days, top stuff!

IMAGE_572.jpg

IMAGE_571.jpg

Total cost £60 and i think they done a good job.

Fitted this to the car and realised i needed to support it some how as it would probably break with vibration. More on that later.

IMAGE_573.jpg

The radiator was looking rather tired so i managed to pick one up off the internet for a very reasonable £73 delivered. Its an aluminium one and it weighs 3kgs less than the original! Lol.....

IMAGE_574.jpg

fitted this in and then was reminded how little space there is in the engine bay

IMAGE_576.jpg

Still using the original airbox for now, with an itg, Untill funds alow for something different. The space is made for it by moving the ecu etc. Routed the standard feed to the gap under the passenger headlamp. Only one of them coz the other fell to bits.

IMAGE_578.jpg

started putting the front end back together but left off the grill and bumper for now as ive got to sort the pas pipe brackets.

IMAGE_579.jpg

Finished the low pressure pas feed pipe, lots of joins.

IMAGE_581.jpg

Also changed the gearbox oil and broken knock sensor. Had the car running upto temperature to check for leaks and fan operation. All is well.

SchwepTek™

Looking good dude! Take me for another spin? ;)

Last edited:
  172 Race Car

While the car is in bits ive taken the oportunity to change a few things inside. As ive driven it abit since the original build I found a few things i wasnt happy with. Just being fussy really.

I fitted a new/remodified heater panel. The last one i did didnt have illumination, which i thought wouldnt be a problem but it pissed me off first time i drove it in the dark.

Also i cut off the supports for the heater cables so they didnt work that well and the speed switch was faulty.

Got another panel off Joshydee and did it again, this time leaving the cable supports untouched and fitting some bulbs to light it up.

IMAGE_584.jpg

Changed some of the wiring for the boot realese too.

Now im reasonably happy with the driving position and those who have sat in it have commented how good it is with the coloumn lowered. I see the idea has been copied already, Lol. That said I wanted to adjust it a little more so have straighted it slightly.

To bring the wheel closer i have fitted a quick release adaptor that i got off Batman ages ago.

IMAGE_585.jpg

IMAGE_586.jpg

This brings the wheel nice and close and if feels better placed. A test drive to check its what i want is needed soon.

IMAGE_588.jpg

After that it was manifold off again to fit a small heat shield to the bulkhead.

IMAGE_589.jpg

Thats it for now but there is lots to do before next friday.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

sweet ass dude, nice update, i need to sort some of that heat shield stuff....i want to loose my crapet in the bay.

i still see blue harnesses

oh and i got my coilovers on chap, being set up as i talk

'92 172, Lotus Elise

on those radiators, what the white thing between the 2 hose connections? Looks like its blanked off (for a fan switch?) - don't think mine has one...

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

nice one. really coming together now mate. love these project threads....

172 Race Car

sweet ass dude, nice update, i need to sort some of that heat shield stuff....i want to loose my crapet in the bay.

i still see blue harnesses

oh and i got my coilovers on chap, being set up as i talk

Got it from Merlin at castle combe, very quick delivery.

harness staying for now, the black ones went to a new home, and they are being sold on again!

Need to talk to you about your coilover setup very soon

on those radiators, what the white thing between the 2 hose connections? Looks like its blanked off (for a fan switch?) - don't think mine has one...

yea its just a blank. maybe its used for something on a different model. It came fitted with it

Last edited:
  172 Race Car

Some more bits ive got done.

Finshed tidying up the ecu area and managed to squezze the cut out switch in there. Previously it was screwed to the bracket that goes from ecu to radiator area.

IMAGE_590.jpg

brackets made up and fitted to the pas pipe to stop it moving.......Crap pictures, sorry

IMAGE_592.jpg

IMAGE_591.jpg

172 Race Car

Been very busy the last few days.

First on the list was to fit these things that have been gathering dust in the attic.

IMAGE_594.jpg

Out with the old......

IMAGE_595.jpg

And in with the new (second hand)...

IMAGE_596.jpg

IMAGE_600.jpg

Booked in for setup on Tuesday.

After i fitted them it was off to my mates place to tackle the exhaust.

IMAGE_616.jpg

IMAGE_602.jpg

IMAGE_604.jpg

Bye bye standard Renault.......................

As my exhaust is off my old phase 2 it wasnt a direct fit onto the cat. (different length) Decided to get myself a phase 2 cat to solve the problem. Also its gonna be much easier to make a custom decat at a later date as there is just the one box instead of the phase 1's split cat design.

The old cat didnt want to leave tho. After 103,000 miles it felt quite at home. So we had to get the HOT SPANNER out!

IMAGE_607.jpg

IMAGE_608.jpg

IMAGE_612.jpg

IMAGE_613.jpg

IMAGE_614.jpg

Fitting the cat is a right s**t job. I knew it would be. I intend to get the cat put on a flange and a de-cat pipe made so i dont have to do it at mot time.

Needed to weld up the hole for the second lambda sensor.

IMAGE_617.jpg

And fit the cat

IMAGE_618.jpg

We spent loads of time dicking about with the exhaust trying to get it right.

IMAGE_621.jpg

IMAGE_620.jpg

IMAGE_619.jpg

Then cut the bumper and added a 182 surround to finish...

IMAGE_622.jpg

IMAGE_623.jpg

Done..............

IMAGE_624.jpg

IMAGE_626.jpg

Astra VXD xp with DTUK

*batman*
looking good see i got a shout out for a great deal on the snap off though ;)

172 Race Car

Just a few small bits need doing before friday. As said booked in for coilover setup on tuesday. Got to adjust the rear bumper a little after pulling it around fitting the exhaust. Might remove the rear arch liners as they are SO close to the wheels.

Today decided to stick my work's diagnostic system on it and make sure it is all ok.

A pleasing sight

IMAGE_640-1.jpg

Checked the live readings and all seams to be ok, lambda switching, knock sensor working.

IMAGE_642.jpg

IMAGE_643.jpg

Found that there is a function to test the actuators and warning lamps. Everything was ok except the high speed fan. Might have to look into this. Low speed is working so it will be fine, could even be because the a/c is removed.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Great progress on this one mate. Has it been on the rollers again recently?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

lol liking the progress bud. whats next then????

172 Race Car

Learn to drive.

Waiting on a caf kit to make some brake cooling ducts out of before Bedford. Its still on the stock disc's and pads for now

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

cool! brakes it is then when funds permit??
got to admire the effort you have put into her mate? makes me want to go and clean mine as its sat up for now. needs to go have some tlc. which its getting on the 19th. new clutch etc. nearly how i want her.

172 Race Car

probably try and get some use out of the stock brakes. they are brand new.

Might get some braided lines tho

A4 DTM/iceberg cup

sounds like a plan. have to see how it holds up. fingers crossed it will take the track punishment......

BMW M135i

Looking good as ever. Just to add on the fan side of things, the AC is the only thing that uses the low speed fan function iirc. Theres two relays to control the fan, one puts 12v though a resistor first which is mounted on the left top of the fan shroud to give the low speed function and the other puts 12v onto the output terminal of the resistor bypassing it and giving full speed.

Theres not much to go wrong so check the relays first then check the wiring, they are both protected by the same fuse so it won't be that. They're two of the engine bay relays.

172 Race Car

Awsome info, just what i needed. Thanks mate.

The fan does cut in when running upto temperature but i cant remember if it was low or high speed. If its just the a/c that uses low then im guessing it was high speed.

Wonder why the scan unit couldn't actuate it. Will check the fan comes on again when hot later in the week.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

I can't believe sooo much progress has been made in such a short space of time!!

(I also can't believe i haven't seen it in the fleash yet!)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

awesome updates again jay, they h&r's? i am guessing you don't need to know about set-up now but if so just give me a buzz.

so many ideas i want to move across to mine

Qashcow

looks mint now but is very low:D may be able to make the drive on tues but will let you know

172 Race Car

Todays task was to get the last few bits done ready for Friday. I got a 75mm pipercross caf kit & fitted the trumpets into the fog lamp holes. Drilled some holes around the edges & bolted to the plastic surounds.

IMAGE_652.jpg

IMAGE_653.jpg

IMAGE_659.jpg

IMAGE_654.jpg

IMAGE_655.jpg

Made some deflectors out of the old rear wheel arch liners & fitted in place.

IMAGE_650.jpg

IMAGE_651.jpg

IMAGE_656.jpg

IMAGE_660.jpg

Then tested the air flow direction using a special brake duct testing device that i borrowed from my mrs.

IMAGE_657.jpg

IMAGE_658.jpg

All done..

IMAGE_661.jpg

Now im off down to a local tuner to get the suspension setup.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

your cafs are defo larger than mine, bolting them in looks a good move also.

like the way you have sorted the brake coolers too

great idea with the brake cooling, i really need to sort mine out at some point.

Qashcow

feck, my brakes are going to over heat on friday. should of thourght about this before hand lol. looking good, may see them tonight eh

172 Race Car

The suspension has been set up. Biggest problem was that the front was too low. They sugested raising it very slightly and lowering the back a bit. Unfortunately the back is already at its lowest setting. Because there is no weight it the back it doesnt sit as low as ideal. So the front had to go up a long way from where i set it.

It looks high now but i still had trouble getting on my mates 4 post ramp, at least i dont have to worry about speed bumps etc.

They sugested that they could sort me some shorter springs on the rear, allowing the whole car to go lower. Tbh im not sure i want to go to that expense for the sake of 10mm or so.

Camber was set to give a good comprimise between road and track.

IMAGE_663.jpg

As ive not really driven the car since its open heart sugery i thought it best to get some miles on it, kind of a shakedown run. Went down to Bristol to see Anim@l and we gave the car a much needed bath.

IMAGE_664.jpg

IMAGE_665.jpg

Driving it home in the cool evening air, omg its a f**king missile! So much more keen to rev. The exhaust and induction noise is pretty quiet when cruising, mainly drowned out by the road noise. But drop a couple of gears and floor it and holy s**t!

Love it ....................... Bit scared tbh!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

I think the ride height is PERFECT.

you will get good travel on the shocks and you have a nice rake angle on that too!

awesome car! more the point awesome ideas!!

Top marks!