ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

£200 per tyre, slicks aren't allowed, tyres must be road legal ie E marked

Not too bad for proper tyres then.

I didn't realise slicks weren't allowed though.

How strict are the regs with tyre depths? Being road legal do they have to actually have the road legal amount of tread, or are most of the tyres used pretty much slicks now anyway lol?

clio cup
The scruitineers will check that your tyres are above the legal wear markers on the tyre before the meeting,, Sometimes this is checked and others it isnt, Aint worth cheating though!!!!!

Lionel Richie
by the time the tread wears down to illegal for the road the tyre would be scrap anyway as it would've gone through that many heat cycles it'd be like driving on wanglis! Hence why its daft to buy "second hand slicks"

clio cup
If you have shed loads of money then youd get Demon Tweeks to cut them down to just above the wear makers, you'll get a few test laps to heat cycle them and then one days racing,

Anyone fancy sponsoring me???????????????????

clio cup
Your choice, lol

photo120_zps866c3464.jpg

by the time the tread wears down to illegal for the road the tyre would be scrap anyway as it would've gone through that many heat cycles it'd be like driving on wanglis! Hence why its daft to buy "second hand slicks"

Forgive my ignorance but how do you measure the tread on a slick to know that it's past its best anyway??

EDIT: Just re read that and realised you're on about semi slicks :eek:

Unless there are road legal slicks I'm not aware of :rasp:

Your choice, lol

photo120_zps866c3464.jpg

In all the years I've used second hand slicks Dave, I've never had that. There'll do for me for the time being, tbh with the setup for the Production Class I think cut slicks like you guys use will be too much. Them coupled with lowering springs we'll no doubt be knackering standard shocks every race meeting, hence me looking at aftermarket fixed dampers.

clio cup
Forgive my ignorance but how do you measure the tread on a slick to know that it's past its best anyway??

They have depth markers, usually small 3mm holes around the tyre

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

slicks have tread depth indicators in them (just a hole basically)

182cup & 172 racecar
Dinger Daves mate Paul, saved me on Sat night. We had a look over the offending genny, and he phoned his mate who works with these things all the time, fkn low oil safety thingy on it.

Put some oil in, it fired up a treat, and there was me wanting to burn it there and then. THANKS.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
The thing is its club racing not world championship I just don't see the point in deliberately breaking the rules whether they're relaxed or not.
As for next year hopefully my mate will be out in his ex btcc 306 and would be nice to get Carl chambers involved in his ex btcc 306 too.
Russ

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You mean your cars cannot compete against factory built £200k circuit cars from the 90's... pfft

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Still serious bits of kit. I know Sodemo picked x40 production F7 units and rejected most for use in early RDR BTCC applications so the engines alone would give a huge advantage.

Add in altered/strengthened suspension points, uprated "standard" suspension and brakes in a shell specifically pulled from the production before captive bolts and other crap went in and had seam kits added to strengthen... they may be production class but they're far from actual production cars.

I know of a 289hp Sodemo Super Tourer F7R unit though if anyone has £5.5k to spare

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Still serious bits of kit. I know Sodemo picked x40 production F7 units and rejected most for use in early RDR BTCC applications so the engines alone would give a huge advantage.

Add in altered/strengthened suspension points, uprated "standard" suspension and brakes in a shell specifically pulled from the production before captive bolts and other crap went in and had seam kits added to strengthen... they may be production class but they're far from actual production cars.

I know of a 289hp Sodemo Super Tourer F7R unit though if anyone has £5.5k to spare

Agreed, there is a big difference in building a car if you can start at the right point in the production cycle!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at the ban all cars that will beat the clios. The 306's are production spec and I'm not worried about them in the French trophy just gives us some more competition. Look at the lap times of current running ex prod btcc cars before having a hissy fit, very comparable to a quick clio and Ian's clio has beaten them on more than one occasion this season in the tintops. The more the merrier I say.
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Lol at the ban all cars that will beat the clios. The 306's are production spec and I'm not worried about them in the French trophy just gives us some more competition. Look at the lap times of current running ex prod btcc cars before having a hissy fit, very comparable to a quick clio and Ian's clio has beaten them on more than one occasion this season in the tintops. The more the merrier I say.
Russ
Stone him!! Flol

WRX
Russ

N.B. Save quote for next year lol.

182cup & 172 racecar
Russ

Don't miss quote me Russ, never said I don't want them. I'd asked Carl way back at CSS when I saw him there.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't aimed directly at you tony but I can't believe people are so negative about racing with ex btcc production cars, I personally don't care what cars are on the grid in the series as long as the grids are healthy and there is some good racing. If it was down to me I'd like to see a class above where our clios run for the ex cup cars as finding a series to race them in is getting harder and harder due to everyone outlawing sequential boxes.
Russ