ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Im ready :approve:

img-20120309-00029.jpg

I thought you were a year younger than me, not 2 months older!!

Trafic 140dci
Was good to meet you both today at TDF, hope the mapping went well. As we were then leaving i heard you fire your car up, sounded lovely, probably nicest Clio i've heard. Is that noise due to the new cams and engine build or exhaust?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It sounds loads different since the new engine. I've not long ago been text the figures too ;) I'll leave it for Jay or Tony to post up, but i'm rather proud of that build

172 Race Car
Ive just got home. What a fcukin day. Left my house at 05:45 this morning. Had loads of trouble with something (as is usual for us) and turned out to be a bad component. Hopefully that will be sorted soon.

Engine is running great tho, very, very pleased with it. Dan is a top man. Will do a write up and vids/pics/graph tomorow

172 Race Car
Was good to meet you both today at TDF, hope the mapping went well. As we were then leaving i heard you fire your car up, sounded lovely, probably nicest Clio i've heard. Is that noise due to the new cams and engine build or exhaust?
As Dan said the new engine has made it sound different to last year but you probably noticed the exhaust noise.

182cup & 172 racecar
I am very pleased with both the results, and all the help we have had from everybody.

Looking forward to May now.(and Monday at Brands)

172 Race Car
Two trips to TDf in Kimbolton and the car is finally finished, well sort of.

img-20120310-00032.jpg
img00867-20120218-1352.jpg

We went up a few weeks ago and despite a small problem with the fuel lines, all went well. The new engine was run in on the dyno and the low RPM stuff all sorted pretty quickly. It made a decent power figure but Matt at TDf thought there was more to be gained. The theory being that the carbon airbox we ran before was causing a restriction with the new spec engine. we took the box off completely and the car instantly gained 6bhp. We left it as it was and went back to sort out a different filter for it and try again.

Yesterday we went up again to get the final tweeks done. Also Matt had persuaded us to give up with our insistence on using cheap ebay gauges and get a proper dash display. We settled on a steering wheel mounted Dash4Pro.

img-20120310-00039.jpg
img-20120310-00042.jpg

This was supposed to be a simple install as all the wiring was there (all it needed was a live, earth and 2 CAN wires) but as is usual with this car something always goes wrong with the simplest of tasks. After several hours of messing about we came to the conclusion that the interface between the ecu and dash was at fault. Hugely frustrating and it means we have no dash for Brands on Monday.
After we’d given up on the dash install it went back on the dyno to finish off the calibration now we had a Pipercross sausage filter installed. Our day got slightly better then as it made great figures.

pt.jpg

215bhp and 182lbf is more than we would of been happy with. We can’t thank Dan at 519 Automotive enough for building us such a strong engine. Top man.

Before we left we put the car on TDf’s corner weight scales. 985kgs with fuel and driver so around 880kgs dry weight.

img-20120310-00033.jpg

Once back at the workshop we had a few jobs to finish off before Brands. Just some small bits to tidy up and refit the bumper. We’ve done quite a few small jobs over the last few weeks. Tony made a camera bracket for the cage and welded it in place. We found a new home for the rear camera too.

img-20120310-00049.jpg
img-20120310-00047.jpg

All the crash damage from Oulton has been repaired now too, so were all ready to roll out for Brands on Monday.

img-20120310-00055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  Evo 5 RS
That's awesome, good to see that filter is in no way restrictive. Torque is hugely impressive. Thumbs to all involved

LOL Tony tearing up the park

Last edited:
  Trafic 140dci
Good results, i love the fact the at 5500 it's 200bhp, Then by 6200 it's around your maximum of 215bhp, and stay's there untill the limiter :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Still smiling about it LOL

been comparing a high-comp build graph, which I'll post if anyone's interested. Torque powerband seems to be over a very similar rev span, but earlier in the range with what we've done, so for where I was told it lacked before (coming out of slower corners), we've made the right choices. High comp and wilder cams would have pushed the torque curve up the revs by 500-1000rpm, and where power flattens off now, it would have continued climbing to the limiter. Gone the right way, definitely :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Still smiling about it LOL

been comparing a high-comp build graph, which I'll post if anyone's interested. Torque powerband seems to be over a very similar rev span, but earlier in the range with what we've done, so for where I was told it lacked before (coming out of slower corners), we've made the right choices. High comp and wilder cams would have pushed the torque curve up the revs by 500-1000rpm, and where power flattens off now, it would have continued climbing to the limiter. Gone the right way, definitely :)

Wouldn't mind seeing that mate. Sounds like it wouldn't make much difference on this setup then? Especially when you factor in having to use high octane fuel etc

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Just sharing thought processes really, Jay had been quite up for forged pistons and 422s at one point. Something we discussed about 20 times LOL