ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
A little update, we did all this a while ago.

A rule clarification for this season means we have to fit some headlights. We got hold of a set of stock 172 headlights and stripped them down. The adjusters were broken so the lamp units were bolted up solid in the housings

265.jpg
266.jpg

We like the black of our 2010 headlamp covers so painted the inner lens black on these. We also changed the bulbs for some 100w items.

281.jpg
267.jpg

Another job we got around to doing recently was to make a camera mount. We had been borrowing photographer Dan’s mount last season so needed to sort something out more permanent. Tested it at Brands last month and worked ok.

279.jpg
280.jpg

Not much else happening currently, a quiet winter compared to last year when the build was in full swing. Next time out with the car is a track day at Llandow towards the end of Feb. Hoping to get it re calibrated and the pit limiter working before then.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
more good progress, like the black light surrounds....

guys, i can't really be arsed to look through the whole thread to find it so though i would ask you as you may know better.

do you have any pictures of your subframes / how you attached your sidemounts to the car?
have fabricated some up but am a little unsure, pics of descriptions or anything will help...lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so you went with sidemounts straight to the chassis (the rails left in the chassis)?

if so did you just bolt to these or did you go all the way through these to the underneath of the car?

182cup & 172 racecar
Happy Birthday 1yr old:)

Car went back to Matt at T-d-F yesterday for some bits and pieces to be done,launch control,pit limiter etc.should be ready at the end of the week.

Ps,I forgot the steering wheel so had to go all the way back to HQ to get it,thanks Sam for the loan of your Megane.

Last edited by a moderator:
  RB 182
I'm sure this has been covered in this thread or similar (can't find it sorry). What sort of budget do you need for these type of race series? PM me if need be :)

Prob referring to pit speed limiter?

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread or similar (can't find it sorry). What sort of budget do you need for these type of race series? PM me if need be :)

I've been looking into this in some depth with the help of these two chaps. From what I can gather I would suggest allocating £600.00 per race, including everything from race entry to tyre wear.

Add to that the costs:
- of preparing the car
- transport costs (inc. trailer / towing car purchase etc etc)
- Have you got an license? If so throw £350.00 on top of the above.

Essentially depends on two things, firstly how many races you intend to partake in, and secondly how much you want to spend on the car!

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
How does pot limited work on cable throttle? Or is your Clio not cable throttle?

I assume you mean the Pit limiter,this is run from the ECU via a speed sensor which is picking up a signal from the ABS ring.
So yes,it can be done with a throttle cable .

Tom,your not far off there.Scary when you write it down,but it's great fun.

Yeah sorry stupid iPhone changed pit to pot lol.

I didn't see how you could limit the speed of a car when throttle is controlled mechanically, still don't to be fair, but good to know it can be even if I don't know how.

172 Race Car
Yeah sorry stupid iPhone changed pit to pot lol.

I didn't see how you could limit the speed of a car when throttle is controlled mechanically, still don't to be fair, but good to know it can be even if I don't know how.
Easy. Cuts revs (makes it misfire)

182cup & 172 racecar
A speedo drive can be taken from the abs ring,so the information from this goes into the ECU,we plug in the laptop tell the ECU what speed we require for it to come in.
Enter pit lane,flick switch,EC1 works it all out,bingo.

172 Race Car
Tell you when weve tried it. But Matt has said in the past that you need to 'lean' on it not mash your foot into the floor when its on

I know it's not rocket science, but Was curious how it worked. Thanks for the information.

Ec1 certainly seems to be getting an increasing following.

182cup & 172 racecar
Tom,50k is slow,we were right at the end of the pit lane at Mallory,like 20mtrs and got up to 48k and then got done at Silverstone,not that it mattered as throttle cable snapped.
There is a lot to look out for in a busy pit lane,never mind the speed as well.