ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can’t open bonnet

Land Rover
I can’t open the bonnet on my Clio 182.
It was fine last time l opened it, just a gentle pull and it clicked off the catch, and the mechanism has been greased so won’t have seized.

It feels like the cable has jammed, you can pull the lever and it seems that it’s stuck, as it’s like pulling on a very firm spring.

How can l open the bonnet? I’ve got a spare cable but l’ve tried pressing the bonnet while my missus operates the handle. But nothing happens.

Is there any way to flip the catch from the front, or from under the car if l drive it on to my ramps and remove the front under tray?

PH2 172
I can’t open the bonnet on my Clio 182.
It was fine last time l opened it, just a gentle pull and it clicked off the catch, and the mechanism has been greased so won’t have seized.

It feels like the cable has jammed, you can pull the lever and it seems that it’s stuck, as it’s like pulling on a very firm spring.

How can l open the bonnet? I’ve got a spare cable but l’ve tried pressing the bonnet while my missus operates the handle. But nothing happens.

Is there any way to flip the catch from the front, or from under the car if l drive it on to my ramps and remove the front under tray?

What`s the temperature?

If there is any water in the cable, it could be frozen.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just jam something under the bonnet lever in the passenger seat, in the full open position. Then go to the bonnet and try and open it then. Happened to me.

Edit: I found a de-icer bottle was big enough to hold the level all the way open, while I went around to the bonnet.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just keep bouncing the bonnet. Be careful not to dent it, it will open. Sound like it needs adjusting

Land Rover
It is pretty cold, but not frozen l don’t think. I have tried holding the lever open and trying the bonnet, but the lever is just hard, where before it felt like you were moving the mechanism.
Not it just feels like you are bending the plastic lever with the effort.
Strange that it just suddenly happened, had no trouble with it before, not stiff or anything.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Rubber mallet the grill off and reach up. Should be able to pop the 2 clips on the grill under the bonnet easily enough, never take much persuasion.

Land Rover
Well it opened fine this morning so l guess it must have frozen.
My garden hose was frozen yesterday so it was cold enough.
I have replaced the cable and the old one did have water inside.