ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you change the Aircon Condenser without draining coolant?

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I have had the aircon on my 182 leak tested and it has a massive leak, so I have bought a new condenser and all of the seals to give it a refresh.
I have done this on a Peugeot 205 gti and a k3micra without having to pull the rad and I would rather do the same on the clio.

If I remove the slam panel and bumper, is it possible to tilt the rad pack back, unbolt the condenser and slip the new one in? Or do I have to drain coolant and remove the rad pack as a unit?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I have had the aircon on my 182 leak tested and it has a massive leak, so I have bought a new condenser and all of the seals to give it a refresh.
I have done this on a Peugeot 205 gti and a k3micra without having to pull the rad and I would rather do the same on the clio.

If I remove the slam panel and bumper, is it possible to tilt the rad pack back, unbolt the condenser and slip the new one in? Or do I have to drain coolant and remove the rad pack as a unit?
You can access the condenser through the front as its sat infront of the radiator.

Can do without removing radiator but I'd bet the radiator needs changing too

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you’re changing the air con rad you may as well - they cost peanuts - change the main radiator too whilst it’s all apart.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
As above, it's not worth the bother.

Should still be relatively easy to source good value news ones, Nissens have always been decent.

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks for the help. I hear you all but I’m bleeding money on this in the last couple of months so I’m hoping I can get away with the rad right now. It looks in good condition.
if not, I’ll have to do a last minute ECP run…

Brian J

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just to tidy this off. I hear all the advice about the radiator, but I took the risk because it was another £80, and I am already £1100 down on repairs this month.

I removed the condenser on Saturday without disturbing the rad. The radiator is the original, judging by the date Stamp, but is still in really good order, so I brushed the dead flies off and left well alone.

Unfortunately the Ridex AC condenser AUTODOC quite as fitting a clio 182 does not. It is side mounted (not too and bottom) and the dryer is a little too high up).

Ordered a Hella one from a uk supplier so I can get the car back together.

Thx all for your input tho.