ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canned my 197 order

sw1

Clio 172
Hi All,

Been umming and arring over the 197 order I placed a couple of weeks back and decided to cancel. It's a brill looking car and I think comfort wise it's a big step up from my 172 but here's the bits that made me cancel.

1) That dam useless 6th gear, given I do around 45 miles a day motorway driving it's useless

2) Less fuel efficient then my 172, I earn very good money but I'm not into throwing it away, it's just seems lazy that they just rehashed the old engine. I had a MK V Golf GTi and the Turbo made that brill.

3) Resale value, they estimate around 36%. Given the rumours of the turbo version, cup versions and the fact none of the real hard core fans really want one makes me think I may have problems shifting it in a couple of years time, I guess it's just like the Meganne where they have released several versions and now it's turning into a serioulsy good drivers car, I don't really see much demand for the box standard orginal 225.

4) My little basic Clio 172 still puts a smile on my face when I throw it into corners and put my foot down, it's funny how it started as a temp car since I had to sell my beloved 325ci M sport convertible 3 years back due to a house move, I'm now on my second one. :D

Having just purchased new pads, disc and new tyres for my 172 I may aswell keep it another year. I have also driven about 20K this year so it's pointless buying a new car at the mo.

Going to buy a pioneer headunit with IPOD integration, not usually into aftermarkets bits but I think I need this :cool:

To all 197 owners enjoy your car, think that they are great but I just had a few to many doubts. May consider the new VW scirroco though when it comes out in 2008 or a clio 225 if it ever comes out :rasp:

182 FF
Don't blame yer for changin your mind, I think renault have lost their way with this car, not many people have had good things to say about it

BMW M3
Nice mate... not wanting to poo on the parade of people with one though.

Its was the 6th gear that lost my vote. At first I thought.. "yes, just what the 182 needs, and then find out the ratios are even shorter then my current 5th !!!

4000rpm at 70mph... no thanks !!

sw1

Clio 172
Cheers guys, the fact I had doubts meant it was probably a good thing to can it. The new scirocco looks ace, I know someone who has got a mint condition orginal, still a great looking car.

Great thing about the little 172 is it's definitly a sheep in wolfs clothing. Once I get the head unit sorted with IPOD integration thats great for me. I work in as a presales consultant for a large IT Security firm and you get all the joy boys and sales guys in their flash cars debted up to their eye balls for the image thing, been there and done it and I know the one 172 is just as much fun if not better as a pure drivers car then most of them.

The pioneer one I was looking at also has bluetooth, anyone seen or used it , It's a pioneer DEH-P75BT

I also noticed the ratios were worse in 6th then my clio in 5th on the motorway, if I was doing short mileage round town then it would be a great little car.

As I previoulsy said, not meaning to put down any 197 owners, they are great cars!

172cup
Scirroco looks great - could be new corrado!! Ha Ha

197 - for me I just cant place it, it's no longer hot hatch nor achieved mid sized enfocer potenial as megane does that. Only car I would consider at mo is Golf, nut then I would look at cost, change mind AGAIN. An dbuy Clio Trophy. I am hoping that Trophy price drops next June/July and I shall buy.

Clio 172 Mk2
4000rpm at 70mph... no thanks !!

Fookin hell... thats stupid!

Ive had my 172 for 2.5 years and Im thinking of changing too - a 197 would have been my natural choice but I dont think its good enough, much like the first Megane 225 when it came out. The Megane 230 F1 ZZ (or whatever its called) looks mighty impressive. Great group review in Evo mag.

sw1

Clio 172
Corrado, awesome motor, my firend had the supercharged G60 and it flew or at least it seemd like it did at the time.

Really recommend a GTi if you are looking at a bigger car, wheel spins like a bugger in the wet, I had mine for around 10 minths then chopped it in as we were moving up to a bigger house again, it's always my cars that suffer. Not moving again ;o))

Point 6) You can get a megane 225 cup jobby for around the same price, I don't like them personally but it's a lot more for your money. By the way my clio 197 was psecced to 15670 with a 2K discount through a broker.

Lotus Elise 111R
Good choice, I agree that Renault have lost their way with the 197, a rehash of an already good car, which did'nt need a rehash!!!! They seem to be putting more effort into the megane now, and in the process have lost it with the clio. Well, that was Evo's conclusion in the Car of the Year!

clio 200 F4Rt
the only 'hot' renault now worht having is the megane 230. i cant see why anyone would want a 197 in its current form!

Nissan 350Z
Thing is, even the Mk V Golf GTI is more fuel efficient than the clio! :eek:

Its also faster, better built, likely to be more reliable and will definitely be worth a lot more come selling time. I have to admit given the choice, i'd definitely go for the Golf of the two cars.

But TBH, i think most hot hatches these days are boring. They are all too heavy and grown up, and seem more interested in chasing ever increasing HP figures to impress people down the pub, and less into being a pure driving experience. The 182 will definitely be my last hot hatch.

RenaultSport clio 182
yep wise decision mate test drove a 197 really dissapointed with it pointless 6th gear and the rear end a bit too twitchy for my liking, not disssing it though good 1st attempt at a brand new car,got to remember the even the 172 had to start somewhere.

182BG
you won't regret your decision mate, if i were to buy one i would wait and see how much they drop in a years time

tiTTy & SV650
6speeds are for shorter ratios to keep you in the power band, classic example of a car that excels due to it is the GTI-6. They dont add a 6th gear as an overdrive, this car is not a cruiser.

IMO bit naive to think it would be an overdrive in a car like this.

:quiet:

Anyway, fair play otherwise - will lose so much money, dont see me buying a new car ever again (well anytime soon).