ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon fibre thumb grip

Never above 25mpg
So presuming people's thumbgrips aren't worn down or split then it's just a simple job for you of covering them?

shouldnt be too bad, bens were well f**ked to be honest, but i used some stuff i have at home to fix them... just interesting having a go for me at this stage really, seein if i can help..

the carbon fabric and resins seem to adhere to the rubber really well, better then i thought they would to be honest, but ben will soon know if its likely to hold...

does anyone know which part of the grips actually sticks to the wheel? is it the edges, the centre part or ALL of it?

I'm also looking at a couple more options with these as it seems to be a very bad design, ones a complete carbon replacement, the other is a rubber replacement...

see what bens verdict is for now anyway..

Tony

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I am very, very interested in a pair of these if all goes well.
My thumb grips aren't torn at the minute but I can see it coming. Can you pm me if they go into production please?!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
would it not be easyer to make a mould of the grip, that way you can reproduce without the need for the original?

010-2.gif

Really good fit, and fit well even without glue on. Just going to glue it into place now.

Will report back findings after a few miles is on it :):)

the one above isnt finished brilliantly, to be honest i didnt know if it would work or not so told Des to just give it a quick coat to seal it all....

also i stopped the carbon flush to the edges, but looking at the pic i think it would have been better to have been wrapped under, not sure though as the pic may be misleading...

also until today I didnt realise these were simply bonded on, I kept the flexibility as thought they fit into a ridge, which they obviously dont, this means there may be more options available to make these.....

because the carbon and resin are a lot more rigid then the rubber the grips will pretty much grip to whatevers underneath them, obviosly glue will be needed, but it may not need a lot...

very happy to help and experiment with this though guys, ben can be guinea pig.. lol..

Tony

It fits in very snugly(sp), just applied some glue, not alot just enough to hold it on incase i need to remove for whatever reason.

But it certantly feels alot strong than standard.

Dont mind being a guinea pig, just glad ive found someone (Tony) with the balls to give it ago if you knw what i mean.

Hopefully this testing will benefit others aswell, which is the point :):)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Fair play to both of you and the other guy (Des I think) with the resin for putting the efforts in for this :approve:

Suzuki Ignis Sport
So who makes these? TonyT??

When will u be able to make some to sell?

I'm VERY interested.

see how bens testing goes, these are repaired and carboned originals, but once this wekend is out the way (I am one of the organisers of a local 500 car show) I will concentrate on the other options I have in mind..

I wont even consider selling these unless I am confident they will work, and the price wont be stupid either..

all the best

Tony

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I like it!

I take it that's a trial one. The outer edge doesn't look quite right, or is it just the picture?

Tangoed Works
i think they look very nice... but a bit too nice for the bog standard steering wheel which imo is a bit too big.

yeah its only a trial one marky, i'll get bens other one sorted soon and will do it a bit different to tidy the edge up a bit..

all good stuff though, i love trying new stuff..

Tony

why should they be silly money crazyclio??

if you ask james or J the prices I charge they will tell you I dont do this for the money, ben has been charges ZERO for the thumbgrip and I often do stuff for free...

trust me, these will NOT be silly money if it turns out they work ok...

all the best

Tony

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
why should they be silly money crazyclio??

if you ask james or J the prices I charge they will tell you I dont do this for the money, ben has been charges ZERO for the thumbgrip and I often do stuff for free...

trust me, these will NOT be silly money if it turns out they work ok...

all the best

Tony

Agreed - Tony is like the Tesco Value of the Carbonfibre world but without the loss of quality.

Dude , thats awesome . I need to replace my 182's grips pronto.

If you can make some moulds mate , you might be investing into a small goldmine , by the looks of the 182's I've seen around my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF
Dude , thats awesome . I need to replace my 182's grips pronto.

If you can make some moulds mate , you might be investing into a small goldmine , by the looks of the 182's I've seen around my neck of the woods.

totally agree, dragons den will be wanting a piece of this;)

Coiley'd Clio PH2
If this is successful, im sure it will be the must have mod of 2008!

the amount of people with split/broken thumbgrips is amazing.
They look so good it could almost be like they came like that, or that they came out of a cupracer.
Must feel pretty nice to hold aswell.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
who was the geezer who wanted silly money for dash strips? Sure that was Tony T?

Depends what you class as silly money I suppose?

Tony is a Damn sight cheaper than anywhere else i asked about getting my trims done!

But then the old addage you get what you pay for, Some people like quality and will pay for it, some people like cheap tat and feel that people who pay for quality are being bent over.

Each to thier own, Tony Provides a quality Service with Money back guarentee if your not happy, the simple answer is, if you are unhappy with the price go else where to get it done if you can find cheaper items of the same quality, IMO i dont think anyone will.

each to their own crazy clio, i suppose what may be silly money to you is cheap to the next person...

cheers for the comments J, much appreciated...

as for the thumb grips, I am in the middle of sorting our show at the minute, but this will get my full attention as of monday...

i have a plan which (if it works) will benefit everyone who has this problem for not too much money...

all the best

Tony

could someone do me a favour please, could you check to see if these are symetrical?? as in will the left thumbgrip fit on the right hand side of the wheel..

i'm at work so cant have a look at the other one of bens..

cheers

tony