ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caring for an alcantara steering wheel

Hi. I have of course googled this subject, but I know there are some proper detailers on here, so thought I'd ask for more direct advice.

My car has an alcantara steering wheel, which is largely in perfect condition. However, the quarter to three area, specifically around the thumbs, is showing some mild 'shining' and greying of the fibres.

I'm lead to believe that it isn't wear as such, but more a build up of skin oils. In your opinion what is the most effective and kindest way to care for a wheel of this type? What is the best product to use?

Cheers.

I'm also interested in this, My whole wheel was so shiny it looked like normal leather so I gave it a bath in warm soapy water and a good scrub, emptied the water and repeated so that I didn't scrub dirt back into it and it came out excellent. Not perfect but a hell of a lot better, but I put that down to the wheel being so far gone (you should have seen the state of the water after). I left it to dry naturally as on a radiator it tends to harden the fabric. Oh and I use a suede brush every week or so to keep it looking good.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Once it's cleaned up, get a cover for it. Keep it sweeeet for a long time to come.

My concern with lemon juice is that, although a natural cleanser, it must surely contain some fructose, which is then bound to attract more dirt?

Once it's cleaned up, get a cover for it. Keep it sweeeet for a long time to come.

Nah dude that's not how I roll. I'd rather buy a new one when it's toast (at considerable cost!) but in the meantime I'd like to keep it in the best condition possible.

Thanks Scott.

Roy, lemon juice is a natural cleaner/degreaser, hence lemon water with prawns that need peeling.

I'd advise the race glaze product already mentioned. Very soft agitation to create a foam that lifts the dirt. This is then wiped, again softly, with a damp MF to remove. Keep rinsing and wringing out the MF cloth to remove dirt. Leave it to dry naturally, ie not aided with heat. The fibres should never get too damp using this method.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nah dude that's not how I roll. I'd rather buy a new one when it's toast (at considerable cost!) but in the meantime I'd like to keep it in the best condition possible.

Fair play mate. I admire that attitude!

Incidentally it now isn't a daily, but it gets used a lot more than it perhaps should, simply because it's so f**king awesome :eek:

Street Triple R
Another vote for the raceglaze from me too

This is one of the Recaros from my car, It was in a terrible condition before I used this stuff, you can see the alcantara on the right was seriously dirty, it almost looked like leather, afterwards it literally looked like brand new, It shouldnt take too long on a steering wheel either

DSCF0812_zpsc9cdbb52.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Soft nail brush/tooth brush, warm water and fairy liquid, soapy water. works a treat mate.

Mini Cooper S
I'm guessing a very soft brush it what you want on the alcantara? A harsh brush would tear the poor thing to pieces!

Shall purchase some of this Raceglaze, need some for my wheel!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Jesus.. I need to do mine. It's the same as Danny's before pic. Hope it comes up as good as his after once I've done it!

And yes its a bit of a bump ;)

Nissan 350z
Thanks for the bump as the Alcantara on my seating is pretty minging so I'll be ordering some of this too.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The just give the QS wheel a rub once a month with a cloth and Shoe Alcantara cleaner.