ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CatCams 421 and standard ECU will it run for 100miles ?

Clio Sport 172 ph1
You will not get close to 210bhp.

And the points people are making are usually based on second hand information. You car WILL run, it WILL idle and it will be fine to drive. The cams are not so wild that the thing will refuse to run in any half decent capacity at all. You will only encounter some slightly irritating idle traits and occasional stalling when coasting, which is easy enough to counter with the methods i have outlined. The stock ECU will be fine to remap to run those cams, and it will run smoothly, the only thing you will suffer is the lopy idle, and you should still be able to maintain a hot idle of 1000rpm.

However the torque curve is another matter, one that is entirely your own decision to run with.

BenR thank You once again for solid information on the subject.

As for the torque curve, I plan to rise rev limiter to 7800rpm and in adition,
to set VVT turning off point all the way to the top, so it won't switch at 6500rpm like it normally does. I hope this gives me what I want.
I know I won't get 210bhp, at least not without other modifications (like hicomp pistons and OMEX we talked about). Hope ther is time to try everything. I'll keep You posted that's for sure :)

Last edited:
Ben, you dont find many idle issues when running a plenum inlet and "wild" cams?
granted the ones mentioned here arent too bad, but theres a distinct issue when running a shared inlet i find.
Its quite impressive to see a once 1400rpm erratic idling engine on a plenum, idle at 900rpm like a kitten when you fit ITB's!!

Yes and no, we all know what not to fit and where.

But on a phs1 clio i've had a set of 280 degs idling quite nicely without much lope at all.

172's/182s are more of a pain due to the FBW more than anything else.

lol @ BB tunings claims. Their was a (supposed) 210bhp BB tuned Cup running wild cams, pistons, stand alone etc etc and it made nothing like and drove nothing like when I went out in that.

Good look either way though, keep us posted on how you get on.